Comic Book Collectors

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
DukeToshiro
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Comic Book Collectors

Post by DukeToshiro »

rittdk01 wrote:
luxzombie wrote:Looking forward to Springcon in St. Paul this weekend. Super psyched to get books signed by Howard Chaykin, Dan Jurgens, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Patrick Gleason, and Phil Hester.
I had Howard Chaykin sign 5 comics that were a set he had done the art for. He signed them literally without even looking and was talking to his assistant or somebody not even looking at me. Anyway they were the worst little squiggles and were signed in really bad spots. Real jerk to me anyway.
Yeah, Howard Chaykin can be a jerk sometimes. The problem is that he's all business when it comes to signing or sketching. He'll be nice to you if you just want to talk, but it seems like he looks down on collectors. I've met him about three times and he had the same attitude each time. I think it's just his personality more than anything.

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez is awesome, though. His English is a little rough, but he's a very nice guy. When I met him in New York, he had a large selection of prelims/sketches for around $30-$50 each which is a great deal for such an amazing artist. I got this one for $30:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiec ... GSub=50459

Phil Hester is super nice, too. At least he was the couple times I met him.
JasonS
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by JasonS »

DukeToshiro wrote:
rittdk01 wrote:
luxzombie wrote: Phil Hester is super nice, too. At least he was the couple times I met him.
I will second that.
Use google before you ask. Seriously.
legendwithoutaname
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by legendwithoutaname »

I have Phil's Address but I have not sent to him yet, waiting on getting some comics back from someone else and then off to Phil
I will NOT PM you an address.
I will assist you in getting said address.
IE: give you pointers on where to get it.
JasonS
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by JasonS »

Here is a comic and sketch Phil did for me some time ago...

Use google before you ask. Seriously.
legendwithoutaname

Nice DD.... I am thinking of re-writing my LOR and requesting WW wearing a Godzilla baby-doll t-shirt

Or is that asking for too much?
mval8
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by mval8 »

Yesterday I got a pretty nice return. I had emailed Chris Giarusso and asked if I could send him a book to sign and he replied that "things can and do happen in the mail" but he would do a sketch for my boy. To make a long story short, he sent me these five sketch cards and G-Man #1 signed. What a class act!

Also got some sketch card recently from Joe Sinnott, Norm Breyfogle and Darryl Banks!

Image Image Image
luxzombie
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by luxzombie »

Thanks for all the info. It is nice to know someones personality before you meet them, ie nice, talkative, standoffish, rude, etc..
legendwithoutaname

Got back my multiply signed comic from the cover artist Matt Frank.

He also doodled up my 2 cards.

Matt Frank, Erik Powell and the comic shop guys signed. With Dual Godzilla Remarks.

Cards

Now off to Phil Hester this week.
cmixer
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by cmixer »

um ... you gotta give us more details on this, please.
purchase, gift, commission?
mval8
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by mval8 »

I just sent him a card and asked if he would do a sketch and he did. On his website there is a list of books he is trying to collect, a lot of them he didn't know what Charlton issue his job appeared in. I did some research and found about 35 issues his work appeared in and sent him the info. I also sent him a few of the books he needed. So I recently wrote him and sent him a card and asked him if he could do a sketch of his favorite Avenger and reminded him I was the one who sent him that list. I really didn't think I'd get anything back but I did. So to answer yor question, I did not commission this, I just sent him a sketch card.