Binder bending autos?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
Johnny's Fan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Binder bending autos?

Post by Johnny's Fan »

I've had my collection stored in acid free wallets in binders for about 2 years now, and recently I have noticed the edges of my autos nearest the "rings" are starting to bend slightly so when placed flat, that area is raised.

Is this normal for using ring binders? Should I be using something else? I'm not too concerned at this moment as I believe once they get the chance to flatten out, they will be OK. But I don't want them getting worse.

Any help, much appreciated. :)

Playbills: A Little Night Music (Angela Lansbury), Wicked, A Steady Rain (Daniel Craig & Hugh Jackman), The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, The Phantom of the Opera, Blithe Spirit (Angela Lansbury)
Most Wanted: Jason Isaacs, Andy Serkis, Peter Jackson, Johnny Depp
Personalized: 54
Most prized: Cate Blanchett, Tony Shalhoub, Mary Costa, Daniel Craig, Brad Bird, Patti LuPone, Richard Taylor, Angela Lansbury, Aaron Eckhart, John Rhys-Davis, Eli Wallach, David Wenham, Geoffrey Rush, Ian McKellen
Lauren81492
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Binder bending autos?

Post by Lauren81492 »

Sounds like the way you're closing it, you're accidentally rolling the photos up in the rings a little bit. Before I close mine, I tug on the outside edges of the page protectors so the photos are as far from the rings as possible. This should help. {up}
Doc Holiday
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Doc Holiday »

I know exactly what your saying. The only thing I've seen with experience which causes this is that you have too many pages/pictures in the binder. Best way I can explain it look at the pages of a hardcover book when closed. Pages all straight and uniformed now look at the edge of your binder when closed you'll probably notice that your pages are stepping up like a stairs effect. That's too many pages in the binder.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
packrat

Post by packrat »

It also depends on the type of binder used. I use the "U" shaped binders instead of the old-fashioned "O" shaped ones. I also make sure the notebook is laying flat, not upright. But the only photos I keep in the notebook are those that I'm not worried about. The ones I treasure go into Ultra-Pro toploaders and stay there for all eternity.

Besides, it really doesn't hurt anything if the photo curls up a bit. As long as it doesn't get creased, everything is fine.
jessemcluv
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jessemcluv »

packrat wrote:It also depends on the type of binder used. I use the "U" shaped binders instead of the old-fashioned "O" shaped ones. I also make sure the notebook is laying flat, not upright. But the only photos I keep in the notebook are those that I'm not worried about. The ones I treasure go into Ultra-Pro toploaders and stay there for all eternity.

Besides, it really doesn't hurt anything if the photo curls up a bit. As long as it doesn't get creased, everything is fine.
Ultra-Pro toploaders?
^Thanks to -Lil1- for the signature!!!!
Most Wanted: Samuel Jackson, Elizabeth Gillies, John Goodman, John Lasseter, Tsubasa English Dub Cast, Tom Hanks
Favorites: Big Time Rush {IP}, Jason Aldean, Demi Lovato, Danielle Campbell, Munro Chambers, Devon Bostick, Billy Crystal

Current Collections: Toy Story, Disney Princess, Pixar Animators, Tsubasa (English Dub) Cast

Recent Received: N/A
Recent Sent: Nancy Cartwright, 7.12.14
Check my website!!! jmlxautographs.webs.com <- UNDER CONSTRUCTION!! (Will be updated with new autographs soon!)