When are preprints not preprints?

Are you unsure if your autograph is authentic or not? Post it in here and the Fanmail.biz community will try to clear it up for you.
cabridges
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

When are preprints not preprints?

Post by cabridges »

I saw a video recently of Mike Rowe from "Dirty Jobs" in a hotel room talking about the show. At one point he was signing (and personalizing) autographs by writing directly on a computer tablet with a stylus and then printing out the results. Would this be considered a PP, since he did sign it specifically for an individual? If so, how would you authenticate it since it would look like a PP?

Technology is making this hobby interesting...
---------------------------------------------

C. A. Bridges
http://www.bashinginminds.com
bud simpson
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: When are preprints not preprints?

Post by bud simpson »

If the item is not directly touched by a writing instrument and a facsimile is made then it is indeed a pre-print (PP).
Interesting? More like it makes the hobby less fun.
johnnylightning
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by johnnylightning »

Obviously that makes no diff a PP is a PP and anything where the auto is printed with the photo and the person did not hand sign the individual photo is a PP
bud simpson
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by bud simpson »

You forget an autopen signature is not the same as a PP.
With an autopen, a machine with a pen will "physically" put ink onto the photo with a programed facsimlle signature, while with a pre-pint it's just a photo copy of the signature.
However, its all the same to me, and that its fake.
cabridges
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by cabridges »

It wasn't an autopen, I'll see if I can find the video clip. He signed on a graphics tablet -- like a Wacom -- to a person, then hit print. A personalized preprint.

From a personal standpoint, receiving this from a celebrity would mean more to me than a standard PP, but less than a hand-signed photo. At least the person was involved at some point and was thinking about me (or how to spell my name, anyway). When I think of PPs I think of stacks of them being shoved into envelopes by assistants.

From a reseller standpoint, it would be a PP no matter what he wrote on it.

C. A. Bridges
bud simpson
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by bud simpson »

To me it makes no difference. A pre-print and an autopen are the same thing. No he wasn't thinking of "you" specificaly. If that was so. then why didn't he sign it personaly instead of going through the trouble of making a pre-print. Doesn't make sense. Also auto pens to me are just as impersonal as a preprint. Like a preprint hundreds of these autopen signatures are cranked out by a machine everyday.
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

cabridges wrote:It wasn't an autopen, I'll see if I can find the video clip. He signed on a graphics tablet -- like a Wacom -- to a person, then hit print. A personalized preprint.
YES! I have one of those!! It's so awesome to use and I like to practice my signature with it all the time. :lol: Though if I ever do become famous I'd never actually use one for signing autographs - hand signed is the only I'd be. No secretary or assistant to handle my fanmail either. {up}

Would be interested in seeing that video if you can find it!! :D

RYAN J. 8)
cabridges
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by cabridges »

It was somewhere on his http://www.mikeroweworks.com site, I'm trying to remember where now.

C. A. Bridges
canadagraphs1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by canadagraphs1 »

Its undeniably, a pre-print.

This isnt even moderately up for debate.
He DID NOT sign THE ITEM, so its not authentic.