Going to a set?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
steviey2493
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Going to a set?

Post by steviey2493 »

I am planning a vacation for this June going to California. I know of a sight where it tells you movie locations and times for filming. Can you like go there and ask the celebs for autographs before or after the shooting? Will this work? Someone help me out because that would be the highlight and center of my trip. Thanks!!
RYAN J.

Re: Going to a set?

Post by RYAN J. »

This is possible, but can be tricky at times. Most sets are closed off to the general public and you'd probably need a special VIP pass to be able to access the set. See if you can hire on as an 'Extra' or "Background Character' for a day or two and you might run into some celebrities. Just be polite when asking for a signature. {up} And if they say 'No I can't sign' leave it at that and don't keep attempting.

Hope that helps you!!

RYAN J. 8)
steviey2493
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by steviey2493 »

Thanks Ryan! What about even like a set that they are just going to a park for 6 hours in a day or something or even 3 at a building as an example. Do they even close that out?
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

Parks and certain outside buildings may be accessable, but I'm sure they'll have security guards patrolling the sites to watch out for vandals and people who might want to cause trouble. They also might put up a temporary blockade to keep people out of the park for the hours they are shooting.

It's going to vary depending on what films there doing and how big the production is. Wishing you the best of luck!! :D Have fun in CA!!

RYAN J. 8)
steviey2493
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by steviey2493 »

IF we go lol, but thanks Ryan. We might do Aruba this year and CA the next, but just wondering about it all you know. Id love to get Jessica Alba or Gerard Butler at something like that or a premier if I could!
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

Gerard Butler would be amazing to meet IP! Aruba would be an excting place to go as well! :D

RYAN J. 8)
annie985

Post by annie985 »

I actually would not suggest being hired on as an extra and ask for autographs. I was a featured extra in a movie and it's a very professional atmosphere. No one asks for autographs and it's considered unprofessional to do so. Being an extra is a job and if someone is bugging the actors for autographs, they most likely will be removed from set. Casting directors, AD's and crew people do not tolerate that sort of behavior on set. Actors don't want to be bugged for autographs from an extra because they need to focus on their jobs. If you want autographs, then I would suggest going to set as a fan. (Sorry if that came off a bit harsh, but I've seen extras ask for autographs and then almost immediately a casting director would come over and "let them go" or give them a serious warning).

~Annie
Autograph Collector since 2008
Favorite Autos: Raynor Arkenbout, John-Paul Lavoisier, Thore Scholerman, Marnie Schulenburg, Christian Bale, Mary Tyler Moore
steviey2493
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by steviey2493 »

so you think going there as a fan could be legit to get an auto?
dramalicious
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by dramalicious »

What do you mean by 'hire' as an extra?
Received Recently:Joanna Lumley, Colin Firth, Judi Dench, Sophia Loren
Most wanted: ? Hugh Grant, Emma Roberts, Britney Spears, Paul Mccartney, Elizabeth Taylor, Jennifer Aniston ?
Waiting for: Gary Numan, Lauren Conrad (woah, no need to take 7months lauren, Rihanna, Lady Gaga.color]
[color=#FF8040]about to send out (I take forever): Gwen Stefani

RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

Some movie sets will actually pay local people to be in a certain scene. Sometimes they'll be given lines to say, but mostly there job is to just walk by the camera or do whatever the director tells them too. 'Background Actors' is another word for them. Just a way to fill up a scene with people so it looks believable. Not all movie sets can afford to pay 'extras', instead they will give out free eletronice like iPods, flat screen TV's, premeire tickets ect. in appreciation for the people's help. {up}

RYAN J. 8)