Writing in the languade of person you want authograph from?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
svenver
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Writing in the languade of person you want authograph from?

Post by svenver »

Hi,

Would it make sense to write in the language of the actor/actress grew up in?

For example, should I write to somebody like Jean-Claude Van Damme (just an example), he is originally from Belgium like me, and speaks French.

Would that make sense for or be extra polite to write him a french letter? or will that just reduce my chances since in 99.99% of the cases the letters will be opened by an english speaking assisten..

Cheers
Sven
khackdrums

Re: Writing in the languade of person you want authograph from?

Post by khackdrums »

I guess it would make the most sense to write in the language he understands best. If he is from Belgium, I would write in Dutch/German, but I really don't think he cares if you were to write in French or English either.

Khackdrums :D
annie985

Post by annie985 »

Hi svenver!

I actually did something like this recently. Another board member (matze16) gave me this idea. I wrote to a German actor and what I did was wrote my introduction in German, the body of my letter in my native language (English) and then closed the letter in German. The actor seemed really impressed with this, thanked me and complimented the German.

Maybe you could do a mixture of English and French.

Hope that helps!

~Annie :D
nowandagain

Post by nowandagain »

Hi svenver :D

If you can write in the person's native language, it is even better than writing in English as English could be their second langugage.

It would make it easier for them to read and understand your message and request, and you may even get a better reply.

Good luck!

nowandagain [rockon]
svenver
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by svenver »

Ok, thx for info

I mix it a bit, again, I'm pretty sure an assistent/agent opens letters first; don't want him to toss it away :)

I'll write letter in english with a small part (2 lines) in french then; got 2 people in mind.

Cheers
Sven