Storing Autographs

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
tim timmah27
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Storing Autographs

Post by tim timmah27 »

I frame every single picture that I have signed and then I put it on my wall. My walls are completely covered with posters and autographs!
IP: LeBron James, Troy Polamalu, Jennie Finch, Brady Quinn, Torri Hunter, Grady Sizemore, Eddie George, Chris Paul, Wally Szczerbiak, Daniel Gibson, Josh Cribbs, Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards, Ben Roethlisberger, Darius Watts, Joe Nathan, C.C. Sabathia, Victor Martinez

TTM: Shawn Johnson, Taylor Swift, Will Ferrell, Grady Sizemore, Woody Paige, The Girls Next Door, Cavalier Girls

Favorite Autos: LeBron James, Shawn Johnson, Taylor Swift, Jennie Finch, Brady Quinn, Larry Bird, Adam Sandler, Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, Chris Paul, Maria Sharapova, Girls Next Door, Eddie George, Grady Sizemore, Ben Stiller, T.I.
Mattyf1209
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Mattyf1209 »

Can someone just quickly tell me if these are ok to get :)

http://www.caboodle.co.uk/NETCatProduct ... t_Id=48285
BossC
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by BossC »

Mattyf1209 wrote:Can someone just quickly tell me if these are ok to get :)

http://www.caboodle.co.uk/NETCatProduct ... t_Id=48285
In the overview it says they are acid free so they look ok to me!

BossC
Phoebe
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Phoebe »

BossC wrote:
Phoebe wrote:I have been keeping all of my autographs in their original envelopes (my SASE's) on a shelf in my room - is this likely to cause them any damage, and should I move them elsewhere or store them differently?
Thanks for your help.

Phoebe :D
Your autographs ought to be ok on the shelf, but if you put them in an album, you can look at them easier and enjoy them. What is the point of collecting if you can't enjoy your collection? I put mine in a clear photo sleeve in a photo album so I can go through them and look at them when I want too.

BossC
Thanks BossC, I guess I could put them in an album, but what about ones which have been written on on both sides? And can you take them out again after putting them in the album? Because I just love to hold them! They would look good in an album or on display, but I was going to wait until I had collected some more before framing/sticking them in an album so that I could work out how to order it. How does everyone else do it? By genre or chronologically?
"My heart will be blessed, with the Sound of Music"

Most recent feedbacks:
TTM: Georgie Henley, Amanda Drew, Steph Fearon
In Person: Spider's Web touring cast, Matthew Needham & Oliver Cotton
Sent most recently: Sir. Michael Gambon, Himesh Patel, Steph Fearon
BossC
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by BossC »

I have very few photos that are written on both sides, but you can put that one in it's own sleeve in an album, so you can see both sides but they are protected.

I have a three ring binder for mine, so it is easy to slip each autograph out and hold it.

As for organization, I really just stick them whereever I have an empty spot. :) But I do try to keep them together if I have several cast members of a movie/TV show and all my skating autographs are together.

BossC
nightowl
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by nightowl »

It's very important the plastic be acid-free or over time the photos may stick to the plastic and damage the photos. I read of that happening to someone. The photo stuck to the plastic and they couldn't get it out without destroying the photo and it's autograph.

I get the top loading, acid-free, plastic sheets that go into a three ring binder. That way they are easy to store, take up little room, and are neat and organized. I get the 8 1/2"x11" size pockets, that way any size photo fits in there.

I haven't had any problem with the photos slipping as the plastic holds onto the photo with a bit of static cling. If you have a photo that is signed on both sides---I have a few of those---you just put that one photo into a sleeve of it's own and it allows you to see either side easily through the plastic.

For the rest I put a stiff piece of white cardboard in each sleeve---they come with the pack I buy. And that way I can put two photos back to back, one on each side of the cardboard, without seeing the back of the opposite photo. This stops them from bending, helps them look nice, and keeps them neat. It also helps to hold the photo in place---if they are smaller. I don't have too many of them.

I get a pack of ten sheets for about $5, at Walmart, and it holds twenty photos (unless it's signed on the back).

Also, you can just take the photos in their plastic jackets and reposition them somewhere else in the album without having to remove them, unless the photo on the opposite side isn't where you want it to be.

By storing them in three ring binders, in plastic covers, you keep the dust and light off of them, which can cause damage over time. Also it allows you to see your photos whenever you wish, quickly and easily. {thumb2}
SelenaandDemiFan

Post by SelenaandDemiFan »

Again. I bought a fifty pack for about a dollar. Haven't had problems! :D

They rip real easy if your too hard, but if you careful it shouldn't be a problem. :D
EastendersFan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by EastendersFan »

Guys

I have this album - i brought it quite a while ago and ive been storing my autographs in it ever since

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSear ... 27819.html

and i just found out its not acid free

what do you think the best possible solution is?
BossC
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by BossC »

EastendersFan_x wrote:Guys

I have this album - i brought it quite a while ago and ive been storing my autographs in it ever since

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSear ... 27819.html

and i just found out its not acid free

what do you think the best possible solution is?
I'd recommend you changing albums. When you are removing the photos just be careful. As already stated on this topic, you can buy a three ring binder and clear photo protectors to insert.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need more advice. {up}

BossC
Phoebe
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Phoebe »

Thanks for your help Nightowl, BossC and SelenaandDemiFan. I shall buy an acid free photo album and I'll look for something a bit like Nightowl mentioned!

Phoebe :D
"My heart will be blessed, with the Sound of Music"

Most recent feedbacks:
TTM: Georgie Henley, Amanda Drew, Steph Fearon
In Person: Spider's Web touring cast, Matthew Needham & Oliver Cotton
Sent most recently: Sir. Michael Gambon, Himesh Patel, Steph Fearon