Date writing

Have any ideas to improve the forum? Post them here!
Gary2880
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Date writing

Post by Gary2880 »

I think it would improve the forum no end if the American way of writing the date was made completely illegal. (and make it illegal everywhere else also) It would be much easier to understand someones post if there was a simplified and standardized way of writing the date.

You see dates written like 03/04/08. which could be either 3rd of april or 4th of march!!! then the next date will be 05/14/08!, and its confusing!

The British way (normal way) is day, month, year. which makes perfect common sence. chronological order. biggest variable first and in order of importance. WHY would you want to know the month first? its confusing! Why do you do it?! is it just to annoy us?!

I propose the forum adopts the 31/12/08 style of date, or even better have people write out 31st of december 2008. remove all possible confusion.
Shambler
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Date writing

Post by Shambler »

EDIT
Last edited by Shambler on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RuleroftheWorld

Post by RuleroftheWorld »

While I agree it gets confusing (I'm English, so I used the same way as you too!) I doubt it will ever become the "standard" way, as the vast majority of members are American.

Maybe instead (or as well as) 3/4/08 or 4/3/08, the "full" date is added, like 3rd April 08. Then again I dont see that happening either :lol:

I do agree it gets really confusing sometimes though.....but I guess its just as confusing for Americans reading the British format?
jasonw
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jasonw »

i tend to write full dates, i.e.
'May 16 08'
to advoid confusion
jason ;-)

Mischa Barton. Best Success of 2009?
Click to view!
Sammya
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Sammya »

Hey, good point, Gary. I think everyone should write full dates like May 12, 2008 or 12th May, 2008, I think the order is not important, but writing the month in words to avoid the confusion is. That should be a rule.
>> My autograph collection site << *NEW WEBSITE!*
lizane

Post by lizane »

Hey guys! ;-)

I agree with you all, but I guess each member is used to their own way of writing dates. {thumb2} I would also prefer it if most members would write, for example, 16 May 2008. {up} But anyways, unfortunately we all differ in our own way in writing dates (I personnally use 16 May 2008 to aviod confusion! {thumb2} ).

Thanks,
Lizanne
Larisie
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Larisie »

I agree with you all, that the long format i.e. May 16, 2008 should be written. It would be the easiest for everyone. Precisely, Andy...I would assume it would be just as difficult and confusing for the American's and others who use the "American" format (such as myself, who's Canadian) to follow the British format, while vice versa for you Brit's and others who use the British format. Personally, I'm used to seeing the "full" date the other way like month/day/year. If/when the British format is used, it usually confuses me unless it's obvious, such as 16/05/08.

This is why I believe the longer format i.e. May 16, 2008 or 16th May 2008 should be tried to be used more often to avoid confusion. IMO. :)
Thanks to -Lil1- for my great sig!

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I noticed this topic this morning, and I didn't really realize that people get confused, I used the month names in my successes :mrgreen:

There could be a new rule, like 16 M 08, but then that's a March/May thing, same thing with August and April, January/June/July, so the solution could be, write the date like "May 16th" or "Jan 12th" for the lazier ones. But normally people post successes with the dates within a week or so of getting it, and it comes up top right of the post thing, if you know what I'm on about.
autoland
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by autoland »

I'm happy to go along with that {thumb2} date in full is fine.........

But how about taking things one step farther........What about using Metric only sizes, lets be honest only Anyone living in the USA or the UK understand inchers, anyway I still use the "old way" but have known metric from about 1967.

But it may be ok to have both like 8X10 ins/20x25cms and so on.

Just a thought.
Summer
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Summer »

*just to be pedantic*

It's the 3rd of June, not June 3rd for me, that's still backwards :mrgreen:

Seriously though, it is easier for everyone if you write the month rather than shortening it to numbers as we all do it differently.

Good idea {thumb2}
Most wanted: Kate Moss, Eva Longoria, Brad Pitt.
Recent sucesses: Lacey Turner, David Beckham, Bear Grylls.
Almost have the whole cast of Eastenders - Yay!