Dumbledore

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other Fanmail.biz users.
New Fanmail.biz Users: Introduce Yourself Here! 8)

What do you think of Dumbledore now that he is "out"? Explain in a post.

You may select 1 option

View results

DwightKSchrute

Dumbledore

Post by DwightKSchrute »

If you are a Harry Potter fan, you may have heard what J.K. Rowling said about Albus Dumbledore at Carnegie Hall. If you haven't, Dumbledore is gay. Wow, this took me by TOTAL surprise. I don't look at Albus Dumbledore any differently - it's just going to take a lot of time to get used to it...Apparently, he fell in love with Grindelwald (if you've read the final book, you know who I'm talking about), but once he saw that Grindelwald was evil, he dropped that idea.

Wow...I just never even thought about Dumbledore at this aspect...I've never even considered if he ever fell in love. I think it's great, though. As one person said (and I agree with it), "My head is spinning. It's just another reason to love gay people."

What do you guys think about this new controversy?

DwightKSchrute
ChattyGirl247

Re: Dumbledore

Post by ChattyGirl247 »

i voted no because even though he was gay doesn't make him any less wise. It's just like a defect and everyone has them. I think JKR is just showing you that even though he's gay doesn't make him different.
The_Champion
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by The_Champion »

I don't think that being gay is a defect. I don't think it's any different than being black or hispanic. Would you call black and hispanic people defective? They were born that way. Dumbledore being gay was a pretty big surprise. I always pictured him and McGonagal getting together lol. I definitely don't think of him any differently. Still one of the best characters in the series imo.
crystal815

Post by crystal815 »

haha i'm defected now!! That's the best laugh i've had all day!
Must have been my gaydar or something but, it really wasn't a shock to me. It kind of made sense.
Check out my website at http://crystal815.webs.com to view all successes. See one you like? Shoot me and offer!
dgangel

Post by dgangel »

Wow. Being gay a defect? I don't agree with that at all :roll:
crystal815

Post by crystal815 »

I know haha, i feel like i should have an extra toe or arm or something. lol
Check out my website at http://crystal815.webs.com to view all successes. See one you like? Shoot me and offer!
army*gurl
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by army*gurl »

i don't think it makes any difference ... Dumbledore is still a lovable character, and as mentioned, some of his quirkiness kind of makes sense now. BTW, giving the benefit of doubt, "defect" is clearly the wrong word used here. i'm sure the person, who brought it up, didn't mean for it to come out the way did ... :neutral: i hope ...
"When in doubt, faint." Keira Knightley
DwightKSchrute

Post by DwightKSchrute »

I really love what JK Rowling did. I'm not sure if she did this on purpose, but I really like it. She told us this big piece of information after the final book. When she told us that, we all (at least, most of us) loved Dumbledore. If JK had told us that he was gay early on, people would have made judgements about him; many people wouldn't have liked him.

What she did teaches us a lesson. One of our favorite, most respected characters is gay. It really teaches us about gays - they are no different than we are.
glucklich

Post by glucklich »

At first I was shocked. But I love it! The "defect" comment was funny, it made me look in the mirror for a second lol. I was like "I look normal right??" haha. I know that it must have come out wrong, but yeah lol.
Authentic: 87 ||| PP/AP: 58 |||Authenticity Unknown: 4 ||||| Total: 149
TheCollector
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by TheCollector »

JKR writes great/popular books, and whether Dumbledore is gay or not is a mere detail :D

I am sorry to say I have not read a single HP book, and I could not even say I have watched a whole one of the movies (although I didn't tell Dan that when I have met him!!) However, I do think I should, so when my life slows down a bit I will!

I think the "defect" statement is probably a language misunderstanding, or a case of naivity. Who cares? I certainly don't. We are all born equal.

Ian :mrgreen: