Sucess rate more if you send a photo?

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
rainbowvicki
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Sucess rate more if you send a photo?

Post by rainbowvicki »

Can any experienced collectors tell me if they have had a bigger sucess rate if they include a photo to be signed with their letters?
ozzman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by ozzman »

your gonna get mixed response. Some send some dont. I personally try to send something with every request. I have so far gotten all my photos back signed. But I have also sent a letter and no photo and still got a signed photo back. Go through the feedback forum. People usually say whether or not they sent something. Some say it increases your chances some dont.
Dubsbball14
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Dubsbball14 »

I have sent over 200 requests and have sent only 2 things to be signed. In the last 3 months I have gotten over 70 autographs and 20 fan packs. I haven't got back either thing signed yet so I rarely send anything.

Hope this helps,

Nate
rainbowvicki
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rainbowvicki »

Ok, thanks a lot you two! {up}
barmy_army008

Post by barmy_army008 »

I never send photos anymore, because of all the ones I did send, only one came back. Saying that, they weren't proper photos - i'd just found a picture on Google and printed it onto photo paper, so that may have made a difference.

For instance, I sent a letter to Andy Serkis, who i've seen successes from, with a self printed picture of him as Gollum, and that didn't come back.

However, if you're talking about sending 'proper' photos, then they do seem to be successful. I would say that it may only effect what is signed for you though, rather than if you get something back. Most people have postcard sized pictures, and other have nice promotional photos that they'll send instead.

On the whole, i'm happy with what I get just sending blank postcards. Its cheaper, and doesn't seem to have effected what I get back.
TheCollector
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by TheCollector »

barmy_army008 wrote:I never send photos anymore, because of all the ones I did send, only one came back. Saying that, they weren't proper photos - i'd just found a picture on Google and printed it onto photo paper, so that may have made a difference.

For instance, I sent a letter to Andy Serkis, who i've seen successes from, with a self printed picture of him as Gollum, and that didn't come back.

However, if you're talking about sending 'proper' photos, then they do seem to be successful. I would say that it may only effect what is signed for you though, rather than if you get something back. Most people have postcard sized pictures, and other have nice promotional photos that they'll send instead.

On the whole, i'm happy with what I get just sending blank postcards. Its cheaper, and doesn't seem to have effected what I get back.
Hi barmy_army008 {up}

You make a good point about photos.

I was told by Ray Park (Darth Maul - there's me name dropping!) that the reason some celebs don't sign photos which have been printed out and sent to them is due to the copyright issue.

Often celebs are bound by contract to only sign approved pictures which are often supplied by the movie company. For example, most Star Wars actors will sign for you, but only photos which are suppplied by them. The classic example of this is Ewan McGregor whi is a really good signer, but almost never if you supply your own.

Just a little gem of info for you!

Ian {thumb2}
orangelazarus
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by orangelazarus »

It's hard to say, because with some celebrities, they'll just send you a preprint or no response at all if you don't send something. With others, they'll only sign their own material.

I would try to figure out the signing habits before you send. If in doubt, I usually like to send something, even if it's just a magazine picture.
rpbluesman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rpbluesman »

rainbowvicki -

Both "The Collector" and "orangelazarus" make very good points. I agree with them 100%. From my personal experience, you should get a good number of success without sending something for the celebrity to sign. I have over 50 autographs and I have never sent anything to be signed or, for that matter, used a SASE. It is your choice whether or not to send something. If you do send something, it is like "barmy_army008" says, you may not get that item back at all, signed or unsigned. However like "orangelazarus" says, if you don't send something to sign then you will probably get a pre-print or no response. A classic example of this is actor Tommy Chong. He will send out pre-prints if you don't send something to sign. Then there are celebrities like John Travolta and Charlie Daniels. They both will send out a signed photo if you don't send something to sign.

Hope this helps,

-rpbluesman