Best plastic pages/sleeves?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
snooner
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Best plastic pages/sleeves?

Post by snooner »

There are a few discussions about staorage methods, and I've decided on plastic sleeves, but I haven't found too many specifics on the best ones to buy. I know to look for PVC/acid/lignin free, but my concern is the signature sticking to the sleeve. Are either of these OK? The Avery sleeves say won't stick to print...

https://www.staples.com/Avery-Heavyweig ... uct_656173

http://www.michaels.com/recollections-s ... 21676.html

What specific brand do you guys recommend? (I'm in the US, by the way...)

Thanks in advance!!
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Best plastic pages/sleeves?

Post by Hartster »

I usually get my sleeves at Staples, but have them from a whole bunch of manufacturers. As long as they're marked archival, I don't have a problem with Sharpie-inked signatures sticking to the sleeves. Metallic or paint pens, though, will eventually stick and/or flake off, so I've taken to putting a piece of paper between the signature and the sleeve. Not the ideal solution, other than to have a photo signed where there's no need to use a metallic pen (e.g., get a photo with a non-dark background.)
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
snooner
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by snooner »

Awesome, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question! I'll grab the Averys then.
LARams
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by LARams »

Favorite Autographs: Crew of the Enola Gay, Barack Obama, Leonardo DiCaprio, Hillary Clinton, Kirk Douglas, Peyton Manning, Tiger Woods.

Check out my TTM blog with email successes! http://www.gridironshowcase.weebly.com

Let's cut the nonsense.
You don't want a blog where some guy is trying to sell you his book of TTM "secrets" or trying to beg for donations.
You don't want a blog that will give your computer cancer with ads.
Gridiron Showcase is an ad-free and non-profit blog that documents addresses that actually work.
snooner
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by snooner »

You guys are the best! It really is kind of you guys to take the time to help out. :D

Is it worth it to pop in the extra to buy an acid free archival binder too, even if the autos are in sleeves? Better safe than sorry?

Thanks a million again!
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Hartster »

I've never heard of archival binders. Really, if you want to go overboard, get a system where your sleeves will hang down (e.g., suspended from the hole side) rather than place them as a book to lessen the stress of one photo in a sleeve being pressed against another and to lessen the stress being placed on the bottom.

But I use regular D-ring binders. D-rings, because you can fit more in and when you open up the binder the sleeves lay that much more flatter rather than get bunched up.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
snooner
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by snooner »

Thanks again for getting back to me.

I just figured that we're working so hard to get these, any little bit of extra "defense" helps. Overboard? Probably, LOL. But a couple extra bucks could make the difference years down the road... or not. :D

I was looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/We-Memory-Keeper ... ival+album

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ching.html

The navy one could easily be stored on the side as to let the autos hang from the 3 holed side.

It's a lot of cash, but sometimes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. In your opinion, is this total overkill?

Thanks again so much!!!
Münchausen

Post by Münchausen »

Absolutely, 100% do NOT get anything from Staples. I made that mistake a couple years back. They may be marked “archival” but that actually means nothing, since they are not actually acid free. I got my storage supplies from: http://www.printfile.com and I highly recommend them, as they fully stand by their product. After that, all you need to do is grab a 3 to 4 inch, 3-ring binder from any local store and you are set! :)
Last edited by Münchausen on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TTM: Tim Allen, Christian Bale, Sean Bean, Pierce Brosnan, Peter Capaldi, John Carpenter, Nick Castle, Henry Cavill, Hayden Christensen, Sean Connery (possibly secretarial), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Charlie Cox, Courteney Cox, Daniel Craig, Bryan Cranston, Benedict Cumberbatch, Judi Dench, Peter Dinklage, Christopher Eccleston, Aaron Eckhart, Jesse Eisenberg, Robert Englund, Dane Farwell, Noel Gallagher, Walton Goggins, Michael C. Hall, Mark Hamill, Tom Hardy, Freddie Highmore, John Hurt, Jeremy Irons, Val Kilmer, George Lazenby, Andrew Lincoln, Brad Loree, Matthew McConaughey, Ben Mendelsohn, Mads Mikkelsen, Jason Momoa, Roger Moore, Daniel Radcliffe, Tim Roth, Matt Ryan, Taylor Schilling, Tony Shalhoub, Don Shanks, Christian Slater, Matt Smith, Ringo Starr, David Tennant, Billy Bob Thornton, Christoph Waltz, Adam West, and George P. Wilbur.
snooner
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by snooner »

Thank you for the tip! Curious, what went wrong when you said you made that mistake a few years ago?

Thanks for the help!
Münchausen

Post by Münchausen »

snooner wrote:Thank you for the tip! Curious, what went wrong when you said you made that mistake a few years ago?

Thanks for the help!
No problem, I hope I was able to help! Unfortunately, several of my signatures ended up sticking to the plastic sleeve and peeling off. It was horrible...
TTM: Tim Allen, Christian Bale, Sean Bean, Pierce Brosnan, Peter Capaldi, John Carpenter, Nick Castle, Henry Cavill, Hayden Christensen, Sean Connery (possibly secretarial), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Charlie Cox, Courteney Cox, Daniel Craig, Bryan Cranston, Benedict Cumberbatch, Judi Dench, Peter Dinklage, Christopher Eccleston, Aaron Eckhart, Jesse Eisenberg, Robert Englund, Dane Farwell, Noel Gallagher, Walton Goggins, Michael C. Hall, Mark Hamill, Tom Hardy, Freddie Highmore, John Hurt, Jeremy Irons, Val Kilmer, George Lazenby, Andrew Lincoln, Brad Loree, Matthew McConaughey, Ben Mendelsohn, Mads Mikkelsen, Jason Momoa, Roger Moore, Daniel Radcliffe, Tim Roth, Matt Ryan, Taylor Schilling, Tony Shalhoub, Don Shanks, Christian Slater, Matt Smith, Ringo Starr, David Tennant, Billy Bob Thornton, Christoph Waltz, Adam West, and George P. Wilbur.