US RATE increase question...

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
godschik
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

US RATE increase question...

Post by godschik »

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I've looked around and can't find the answer...maybe I missed it, but when the rates change in May, how much would a 9x12 with a couple of pictures cost? I'm getting ready to send out some more requests, but if they take longer than a month (actually a little less) $.63 cent isn't gonna make it back (it's for my SASEs).
Again, sorry if it's been covered before.
onebuffcop
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by onebuffcop »

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad and expensive news but according to the USPS, the general cost of sending out a 9x12 envelope with a letter and photo is going to increase from 63 cents to 97 cents so to send out a request and a return SASE is now going to cost $1.94 as opposed to the current $1.26. That's an increase of 68 cents per sendout. Here is the information:

Letter vs. Flat vs. Parcel
How do you determine what kind of mailing you are working with? Use these quick checklists to see what rate you can qualify for:

If your mailer is:

3.5 ounces or less AND
6 1/8" x 11 1/2" or smaller AND
1/4" thick or less
Your mailing qualifies for a letter rate.

If your mailer is:

13 ounces or less AND <-----------This applies to most of what we do
12" x 15" or smaller AND
3/4" thick or less
Your mailing qualifies for a flat rate.

If your mailer is:

More than 13 ounces OR
Larger than 12" x 15" OR
More than 3/4" thick
Your mailing qualifies for a parcel rate

FLAT RATES ARE: 1 ounce = 80 cents up from 52 cents
2 ounces = 97 cents up from 63 cents
3 ounces = $1.14 up from 87 cents

The 3 ounces are for people who like to send out 2 and 3 photos along with a SASE and letter of request. I bet we see fewer and fewer of those going out now.

For those who are still in the habit of just sending a letter of request with a few trading or index cars in a regular letter sized envelope, the cost for a 1 ounce letter goes from 39 cents to 41 cents and the cost of a 2 ounce letter in a standard envelope actually goes down from 63 cents to 58 cents.

Here is that entire chart for you to look over:

Type of mailing Previous postage rates
(through May 2007) New postage rates
(as of May 2007)
Letter (1 ounce) currently $0.39 new rate $0.41
Letter (2 ounce) currently $0.63 new rate $0.58
Flat (1 ounce)* currently $0.52 new rate $0.80
Flat (2 ounce) currently $0.63 new rate $0.97 <---- majority use this
Flat (3 ounce) currently $0.87 new rate $1.14 <--- for 2-3 photos sent

Each additional ounce $0.24 $0.17

Postcards $0.24 $0.26

Hope this helps clear up any confusion and answers any questions. I know I will probably only be sending out to those people that I absolutely have to have now because getting about 55% back of what I send out, for every 100 you send out, you're losing $90 if you include what it costs to send to them and then for the return postage. And that's a lot when you add it up to those of us who send out a lot of requests! {down} Top the USPS
It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
BossC
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by BossC »

I must admit, I like cutting costs and this isn't good news :(

But I checked the official information and stuff and now when you are on the usps website and click on calculate postage and then do size and shape look up (http://postcalc.usps.gov/MailpieceDimensions.asp) and type in 9X12 it tells you to select a letter. The prices for letter are only $0.58 and a $0.63 stamp would cover it.

BossC
cernan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by cernan »

BossC wrote:I must admit, I like cutting costs and this isn't good news :(

But I checked the official information and stuff and now when you are on the usps website and click on calculate postage and then do size and shape look up (http://postcalc.usps.gov/MailpieceDimensions.asp) and type in 9X12 it tells you to select a letter. The prices for letter are only $0.58 and a $0.63 stamp would cover it.

BossC
Well the rate increase hasn't occured yet. It's due to come into effect early May. In the mean time, I am probably going to send out like 100 requests while the price is still lower. :lol:

Also this is just a tip, but you guys may want to consider sending smaller photos like 5X7 or 4X6. You spend less money on stamps. :mrgreen:
cernan@fanmail.biz
Feel Free to PM or Email me with any questions or comments!
I will try to answer as soon as possible although that may not always be possible due to my busy schedule.
jdp3577
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by jdp3577 »

cernan wrote:Well the rate increase hasn't occured yet. It's due to come into effect early May. In the mean time, I am probably going to send out like 100 requests while the price is still lower. :lol:
what about your SASEs? wont you need to put the price increases on them, since May is next week?
#-John-#
zenbird
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by zenbird »

The rate increases are taking effect May 14, and the prices for .63 and .87 cent envelopes and SASE's are actually going DOWN. it will cost less to send them, and less to have them sent back, so fear not for any you've already sent out.

Keep doing what you're doing and you are covered....I asked my local PO guy today.

:)
Not Always So.
dgangel

Post by dgangel »

zenbird wrote:The rate increases are taking effect May 14, and the prices for .63 and .87 cent envelopes and SASE's are actually going DOWN. it will cost less to send them, and less to have them sent back, so fear not for any you've already sent out.

Keep doing what you're doing and you are covered....I asked my local PO guy today.

:)
good, i'm glad to hear that =]
the only thing im confused about is, they say its 52 cents to mail a 1 ounce envelope from NJ to CA, yet they do not sell 52cent stamps :?
torianyyxf
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by torianyyxf »

If your SASE's are the size for 8 X 10 photos then they require the flat rate price (as onebuffcop said):

13 ounces or less AND <-----------This applies to most of what we do
12" x 15" or smaller AND
3/4" thick or less
Your mailing qualifies for a flat rate.

FLAT RATES ARE: 1 ounce = 80 cents up from 52 cents
2 ounces = 97 cents up from 63 cents
3 ounces = $1.14 up from 87 cents

Thus, when the increase goes into effect, 63 cents would not be enough. You would need 80 or 97 cents on your SASE's for them to be returned.

You save money by sending envelopes that are 3.5 ounces or less AND 6 1/8" x 11 1/2" or smaller AND 1/4" thick or less because the 2 oz rate would be 58 cents instead of 63 cents. These are the envelopes for 5 X 7 photos.
Last edited by torianyyxf on Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
dgangel

Post by dgangel »

My envelopes are about one ounce, and 63 cents covers the cost just fine. Even when sending a picture I dont put more on and the autographs get back to me.
themohawkgirl
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by themohawkgirl »

im confused... is the price going up or down?
Image Image Image Image