Memorabillia

Tell us about your own charity collection, or ask for advice from our charity experts.
blitzkreig
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Memorabillia

Post by blitzkreig »

Hey got a question... have you asked for a signed memorabillia other than a picture (i.e. shirts, dvds, mugs, balls, cds, etc)? If so, did they pay for the postage and what happened to the SASE you sent?

P.S. Are you a celebrity yourself? I was checking on your profile and that it says you are a TV & radio presenter
TheCollector
$10 gift certificate winner

Re: Memorabillia

Post by TheCollector »

blitzkreig wrote:Hey got a question... have you asked for a signed memorabillia other than a picture (i.e. shirts, dvds, mugs, balls, cds, etc)? If so, did they pay for the postage and what happened to the SASE you sent?

P.S. Are you a celebrity yourself? I was checking on your profile and that it says you are a TV & radio presenter
Hi blitzkreig, {up}

Thanks for your posting and questions!

What I do in my request letters is leave it pretty much open. Here is what I say in my letters:
..... asking celebrities like yourself if they would be kind enough to autograph a photograph or some other piece of publicity material or memorabilia for use in the auction
In reality, most (about 80%) just send autographed photos, but the remaining ones have sent all kinds of stuff including: videos, dvds, books, jewellery, clothing (hats/t-shirts/sweatshirts), actual clothing worn by actors in films and on tv shows - all sorts really). Some celebs are far more generous than others, especially when giving to charity.

I always try to send basic postage on an A4 (21x30cm) envelope, that way they can at least send anything up to about 10"x8". I always mark the envelope DO NOT BEND and most times the celeb sticks a piece of card in the envelope to strengthen it. Not always though! I have had a few autos back pretty creased! Sometimes the celeb will use their own envelope anyway if they have the card backed type.

When anything bigger than a 10"x8" is returned, the celeb has almost always either added to my already paid postage or totally paid the postage themselves. Occasionally though, post has arrived underpaid, and you have to pay the postman the extra (plus a £1 fine in the UK).

It still works out cheaper this way than paying more up-front!

Hope this helps!

Cheers {thumb2} [uk]

Ian

P.S. You asked about my work, it is pretty confusing because I have two jobs really! I work as a publisher for a magazine company and I also work as a presenter on television and radio. I currently present a show called "Ghosthunters" in the UK and Europe on the Discovery Channel network and I am the paranormal correspondent for the Sally Jessy Raphael radio show in the US. I also work quite a bit for the BBC both on radio and TV. I have received auto requests from as far afield as Australia, so I guess the show is shown all over the network now!
This has probably made my job of collecting a bit easier, but the process is still the same for everyone!
It is still under construction, but you can check out my website if you like at: http://www.iancashmore.moviestars.co.uk
GaryMaddenFanClub
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

autos from yourself

Post by GaryMaddenFanClub »

hey ian, stunned to find that you're actually ian cashmore. i wrote to you a couple of months ago asking for a couple of signed items for my charity work with maggies cancer care centres. dont suppose you know if you've seen the letter or not?

best
Robin
"i thought this place was an empire, but now i'm relaxed i'm not so sure"
TheCollector

Re: autos from yourself

Post by TheCollector »

GaryMaddenFanClub wrote:hey ian, stunned to find that you're actually ian cashmore. i wrote to you a couple of months ago asking for a couple of signed items for my charity work with maggies cancer care centres. dont suppose you know if you've seen the letter or not?

best
Robin
Hi GaryMaddenFanClub, {up}

I think I do remember your letter! I just got my people in Watford to check it out, and they say they did forward some photos onto someone named Kaya in Stoke Newington? for Maggie's Cancer Care Centre in Charing Cross Hospital? If this is not you then appologies!

Let me know and I can get something else out to you!

Cheers, {thumb2} [uk]

Ian
Debs eleven
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Debs eleven »

Hi Ian, I was fascinated to hear of your working interest in the paranormal. I must tell you a little story about when my son Billy was born. The baby was asleep and my husband decided to play loud music. I called out to keep the noise down. He jokingly bought me down a polaroid to prove the baby was still asleep.

A few weeks later, we looked at the photo and saw an old person's hand holding the bars of Billy's cot. We both knew there was no-one else in the house at the time. I sent the photo and a letter to the Psychic Research Society - and a guy who's name escapes me at the moment, replied with a fab letter saying he had tested the photo and found it to be genuine of any tampering, and the only conclusion he could reach was that Billy had a Guardian Angel!

That letter and foto are my most prized posessions to this day - 15 years on. What with Billy having Down's Syndrome, as you know, it makes it even more poignant for me that "someone" is looking out for him.....
TheCollector

Photo!

Post by TheCollector »

Debs eleven wrote:Hi Ian, I was fascinated to hear of your working interest in the paranormal. I must tell you a little story about when my son Billy was born. The baby was asleep and my husband decided to play loud music. I called out to keep the noise down. He jokingly bought me down a polaroid to prove the baby was still asleep.

A few weeks later, we looked at the photo and saw an old person's hand holding the bars of Billy's cot. We both knew there was no-one else in the house at the time. I sent the photo and a letter to the Psychic Research Society - and a guy who's name escapes me at the moment, replied with a fab letter saying he had tested the photo and found it to be genuine of any tampering, and the only conclusion he could reach was that Billy had a Guardian Angel!

That letter and foto are my most prized posessions to this day - 15 years on. What with Billy having Down's Syndrome, as you know, it makes it even more poignant for me that "someone" is looking out for him.....
Hi Debs eleven,

Thanks for your posting! I would love to see a copy of your picture if you wouldn't mind. I actually belong to the SPR and I know they get load of photos to check out. As a group they are very sceptical, so if they say something is right then it definately is! [By the way, it is pretty well recognised that Polaroid pictures are notoriously difficult to fake since you have no negative to "manipulate".]

During the course of my work over the past 10 years or so I am absolutely positive about the existence of ghosts. (I'll have to send you a copy of my DVD when I get them through, which has my absolute best (and personal) story on it.

It certainly does sound like Billy has someone looking out for him!

Cheers {thumb2} [uk]
Ian
Debs eleven
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Debs eleven »

Hi Ian

Would love a copy of your DVD when it comes out, thanks.

I have the letter in front of me and the person who replied was Maurice Grosse MRI, FlnstPI. When my daughter comes home I will get her to post the letter and photo up (the shame, I have no idea how to do it!)

I am totally convinced of the existance of ghosts too, and have had quite a few incidences of paranormal activity around me and some of my friends.

I should imagine your job is a dream come true! I try to watch "Most Haunted" whenever I can - have you had any dealings with that programme?

Regards,

Debs
TheCollector

Photo

Post by TheCollector »

Debs eleven wrote:Hi Ian

Would love a copy of your DVD when it comes out, thanks.

I have the letter in front of me and the person who replied was Maurice Grosse MRI, FlnstPI. When my daughter comes home I will get her to post the letter and photo up (the shame, I have no idea how to do it!)

I am totally convinced of the existance of ghosts too, and have had quite a few incidences of paranormal activity around me and some of my friends.

I should imagine your job is a dream come true! I try to watch "Most Haunted" whenever I can - have you had any dealings with that programme?

Regards,

Debs
Hi Debs,

I know Maurice Grosse! He is an old stalwart of the Society for Psychical Research and still going strong!

He is a very well known psychical researcher in the UK and one of the "key investigators" in a very famous case - the Enfield Poltergeist - check it out on google for all the info!

I have done a bit of contributory work on Most Haunted, but that's it so far. I am a little wary about it, because as entertaining as the programme is, it is regarded by many as a bit of a (dare I say) joke.....!

Cheers {up}
Ian
Last edited by TheCollector on Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debs eleven
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Debs eleven »

Part of the letter:

Picture:

Click on thumbnails to make them bigger. Warning: Opens new window.

P.S - This is Deb's daughter. She will be on to reply to your message/s tomorrow.

Post by Guest »

Wow! that is so cool yet freaky...