Is stamps.com good/easy to use for fanmail?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
magicmanplc
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Is stamps.com good/easy to use for fanmail?

Post by magicmanplc »

Does anybody use stamps.com and if so is it good/easy to use for fanmail?
Please Visit My Website: http://patricksautographs.weebly.com/
dfreely
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Is stamps.com good/easy to use for fanmail?

Post by dfreely »

Haven't used it myself, which is a good thing, because they're notoriously bad.
MW1221
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MW1221 »

dfreely wrote:Haven't used it myself, which is a good thing, because they're notoriously bad.
I wouldn't say that.... And I'm not sure where you got your opinion, as you say you've never used the service.

To the OP: It's a good way to get free postage. You have to actually call them to cancel though, so in that regard, it is inconvenient.

Also, the postage you print may not work for SASEs.

But I have no complaints with the service.

If you aren't using it regularly, it isn't worth the money beyond the free stamps period, but it's a great way to get $5-$15 in free postage.

And when you call to cancel, it isn't that hard to talk them into giving you more free postage.

So I have no idea, as I said, where the other poster got their information.
magicmanplc
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by magicmanplc »

If it helps for fan mail I only use Priority mail for my original envelope and the SASE.
dfreely
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by dfreely »

MW1221 wrote:I wouldn't say that.... And I'm not sure where you got your opinion, as you say you've never used the service.
Whether or not I've actually used it doesn't change that it has a notorious reputation. I get my information from years and years of hearing other people having problems with it, as it pops up in some of the hobby communities I'm a part of where shipping is involved in some aspect. This includes fanmail, ebay, swapping/x-crossing, as well as forums which allows for selling/exchanging items. Even beyond that, a simple search would net you a lot of reviews on that website.
magicmanplc wrote:If it helps for fan mail I only use Priority mail for my original envelope and the SASE.
That's a bit curious - is there a reason why you use Priority where than regular First Class?
magicmanplc
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by magicmanplc »

dfreely wrote:
MW1221 wrote:I wouldn't say that.... And I'm not sure where you got your opinion, as you say you've never used the service.
Whether or not I've actually used it doesn't change that it has a notorious reputation. I get my information from years and years of hearing other people having problems with it, as it pops up in some of the hobby communities I'm a part of where shipping is involved in some aspect. This includes fanmail, ebay, swapping/x-crossing, as well as forums which allows for selling/exchanging items. Even beyond that, a simple search would net you a lot of reviews on that website.
magicmanplc wrote:If it helps for fan mail I only use Priority mail for my original envelope and the SASE.
That's a bit curious - is there a reason why you use Priority where than regular First Class?
Because I get $50 insurance and better tracking. It's a lot more reliable.
Normanbotts
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Normanbotts »

magicmanplc wrote:
dfreely wrote:
magicmanplc wrote:If it helps for fan mail I only use Priority mail for my original envelope and the SASE.[

Says the person who says that the dick van dyke sigs TTM are real. LOL :mrgreen:
NB
magicmanplc
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by magicmanplc »

Actually if you look at my later post I admitted I was wrong. Instead of being negative you should just keep reading the forum topic. At least I can admit I'm wrong unlike other people.
MW1221
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MW1221 »

Normanbotts wrote:
magicmanplc wrote:
dfreely wrote:

Says the person who says that the dick van dyke sigs TTM are real. LOL :mrgreen:
To NormanBotts: what does that have to do with the topic at hand?

To the OP: if you use only Priority Mail
1) It's not possible to send SASEs...
2) Why would you ask about Stamps.com? Priority Mail doesn't utilize conventional postage.

To dfreely: as I've said, I had no problems with Stamps.com personally, so I can only speak from first hand experience.

Just because someone else's Pizza Hut pizza was delivered with raw dough doesn't mean mine was. Just because my Pizza Hut pizza wasn't delivered with raw dough doesn't mean that someone else's wasn't either.

When it comes to companies, one size doesn't fit all. To advise against using a product you've never used on the word of someone who may not exist, is, in my opinion, short sighted.

I personally don't advise using or not using companies based on my experiences with their products, nor do I ever offer my opinion on a company based on something I heard from someone else. All I do is state my experiences with them. To do anything else is unfairly fanning the flames of gossip in situations that I wasn't at to know what exactly happened. There's more than one side to any story.

To quote Judge Judy (something that seems to happen often on this forum): "Don't tell me what someone else said. If they're not here to say it themselves, it didn't happen."

So again, not that it matters, since the OP is already grossly overpaying anyway (what are you sending that requires $50 insurance for an UNSIGNED object?!), but I had no problems with the service.
dfreely
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by dfreely »

MW1221 wrote:When it comes to companies, one size doesn't fit all. To advise against using a product you've never used on the word of someone who may not exist, is, in my opinion, short sighted.
I haven't so much advised against it, I simply pointed out it's reputation. Someone who may not exist? If you mean the people who post on forum discussions and websites aren't real people and are just sophisticated spambots that post very specific things, I guess I technically can't prove that someone exists behind a username. Similarly, I wouldn't be able to prove that you exist either. Alternatively, if you're only referring to my conversations specifically, then again, a simple search on the web would find you a lot of results.
I personally don't advise using or not using companies based on my experiences with their products, nor do I ever offer my opinion on a company based on something I heard from someone else. All I do is state my experiences with them. To do anything else is unfairly fanning the flames of gossip in situations that I wasn't at to know what exactly happened. There's more than one side to any story.

To quote Judge Judy (something that seems to happen often on this forum): "Don't tell me what someone else said. If they're not here to say it themselves, it didn't happen."
You're stating your experience with them, that's fine, I never dismissed that. The thing is lots of other people have stated their experience as well, and I'm not dismissing theirs any more than I'm dismissing yours. This is basically the same point you're trying to make with the pizza hut comparison, one size doesn't fit all, more than one side to any story, etc. The majority of that happens to be negative, which is why I stated that they have a notorious reputation.

I'm not sure how that Judge Judy quote applies. I wouldn't expect everyone who has used Stamps.com to show up on this forum and say something, but it doesn't somehow make them invalid. If this thread existed on a different forum where you weren't a member, would your experience with them suddenly become non-existent?