Which stamps ?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
dfreely
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Which stamps ?

Post by dfreely »

kimmylee wrote: In the US it's easier because the Global Forever stamp is a stamp designed for the minimum value of an airmail letter.

In the UK First Class stamps are used in the same way but for UK domestic post, so Airmail will cost more than one first class stamp, as international mail costs more to send than domestic.

There is no problem using them however for Airmail as long as the value of stamps meets the cost of Airmail.
Doesn't the UK still offer the non-denominated Worldwide stamp? That's basically their equivalent of the American Global Forever stamp.
kimmylee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by kimmylee »

potterhead94 wrote:Thank you both this helps a lot. I think I will use the calculator on both websites, to be sure of it.
So glad I could help {up} Remember though the calculator on Royal Mail will show current prices not the prices from 31st March. For those you will need the pdf chart I posted.

dfreely wrote:Doesn't the UK still offer the non-denominated Worldwide stamp? That's basically their equivalent of the American Global Forever stamp.
No not non-denominated for Airmail. There is no equivalent of the GFS nor have I ever known one to exist.

The only stamps in the UK that are like US Forever stamps are 1st Class and 2nd Class.

Airmail costs start at at least 25 pence more than the value of either of those.

There are face value stamps for Airmail costs but these become insufficient once the price goes up or things are changed/tinkered with.

For example the imminent changes removed a price band so £1.88 stamps for letters 21-40g won't work, the price for letters 21g-60g will be £2.15.

The OP was asking about 1st Class stamps so that has been the focus of my answers.
NO LONGER ACTIVE
dfreely
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by dfreely »

kimmylee wrote: No not non-denominated for Airmail. There is no equivalent of the GFS nor have I ever known one to exist.
The only stamps in the UK that are like US Forever stamps are 1st Class and 2nd Class.
There are non-denominated UK stamps other than 1st/2nd Class. I know this, as the Large Letter and Worldwide 40g stamps are the ones I usually use with my UK requests. Either seems to show up on Royal Mail's web shop though, so perhaps they did stop making them.
The OP was asking about 1st Class stamps so that has been the focus of my answers.
Didn't mean to drag the thread off topic - I just saw the post regarding US Global Forever being easier/UK not having an equivalent, and thought I'd post since it was contradictory to what I knew.