William Windom... Successful failure(?!)

Post your feedback about a celebrity address you have tested. Win a $10 Gift Certificate! How? Test an Address and Post your Feedback!
jonnyq
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

William Windom... Successful failure(?!)

Post by jonnyq »

Okay, this is a new one for me...

So, on 09/16/11, I wrote to William Windom, who played Commodore Matthew Decker in one of my favorite episodes of Star Trek, "The Doomsday Machine." Sent 8x10, LOR and SASE.

I received an envelope postmarked 10/4/11, addressed to me, with "Windom, etc." as the return address, but it wasn't my SASE... So, my first thought was, "Wow, he decided to save a fan some postage! How thoughtful!"

When I opened it, I found my entire packet (SASE, LOR, 8x10, cardboard, protector) all untouched, with no further information...

This is a first for me.

I figure this either one of two scenarios. 1) This is a big middle-finger with a passive-aggressive "I could have signed it, but I'm going to lengths to show that i simply wouldn't." or 2) He declines to sign it, but appreciates the effort, and so pays to have my carefully assembled packet sent back to me.

My own disappointment would like me to believe that the first scenario is true, but considering that he carefully resealed my packet in his own envelope and paid his own postage to send it back to me, I'm going to assume that this was the latter, and I'm going to assume that was a gesture of polite refusal, which I will respect.

(I guess the hand-written return address on the envelope is as close as i'm going to get.)

In either case, moderators: not sure if this would be classified as a success or failure. On one hand, it's clearly the correct address. On the other, he clearly does not wish to sign a "Star Trek" photo, at least... :) I don't know if he's unwilling to sign anything ELSE or not, so classify this as you will...

Cheers!

EricAutoman

Re: William Windom... Successful failure(?!) Interesting...

Post by EricAutoman »

I sent to Mr. Windom on 8/12/10 and received my photo back signed and in my SASE on 9/13/10. He even wrote a note on my LOR.

Now back to your situation, he is 88 and not in the best of health. And from the looks of the return address that was written on that envelope, it's not his handwriting. It's a little too small for me to tell, but it doesn't look like a match to my SASE where he return addressed it himself.
StevenQ

Post by StevenQ »

I would go with what Eric said and guess he's too ill to sign anymore. He signed my two photos and a nice note around 1/10. He really was a nice guy IP, my sister met him once and said so. It's too bad someone doesn't put a not in to that effect.
Time flies like an arrow. Friut flies like a banana.
mwmiller
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by mwmiller »

My two cents. The past several years he's been automatic through the mail, although I noticed a decline in a recent signature. We need to realize when someone gets to 88 years of age, health can suddenly decline or someone can decide to spend their remaining time doing something other than answering fan mail. Sorry for your failure. And, the writing of your return address doesn't look like his signature, so someone else, like a family member may have returned it.
jonnyq
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jonnyq »

Ahhh... Glad for the insights... Well, in that case I'm grateful that his family went to the length of sending it back, rather than just trashcanning it... Rather generous of them, under the circumstances...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi jonnyq :)

Thank you for your feedback {up}

{star} William Windom on Fanmail.biz | Previous Feedback(s) Received

Fanmail 8)
prettykittyjenna
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by prettykittyjenna »

Has anyone else got their stuff back unsigned? I hope I get my stuff back! I sent to him in July and haven't heard a peep! Hope he at least mails it back unsigned! :(
dogwood34
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by dogwood34 »

I have a pic to send him. If he is in poor health, I will probably skip it. I hope he gets better!
theshape78
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by theshape78 »

man i hope mr. windom gets better.
what a great guy he is. {up} {up} {up} {up}
Wordsworth
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Wordsworth »

Or he could be selling now. He's listed on a website called www.timem.com as one of many celebrities who will sign a photo for a fee. The pics range from $20-25. Don't know if it's a legit site, though.