First Time Sending A Fanmail, Please Help!

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
Monique_SlashBash
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

First Time Sending A Fanmail, Please Help!

Post by Monique_SlashBash »

Do I introduce myself? I will anyway.
Hi there, I'm Monique!
I'm new to this site, and this kind of board is very confusing to me. Sorry if I'm a bit slow!

I've read many successes from fans who have sent Roger Federer fanmail, and I'd so love to send him one also and receive a reply!

I looked all over the internet, trying to find out what "IRC" means.
Answer I got = Internet Relay Chat

Hah! Then I figured out eventually that it meant International Reply Coupon!

I'm from Australia, how many IRCs would I need to send a letter to Switzerland?
Where would I put the IRC(s), paperclipped on the envelope, or inside the envelope?
I'm scared the IRC might get detached from the envelope if I paperclip it. :(

What size envelope would you recommend I post my letter in?
I was thinking about A5, and I should go bigger if I'm lucky enough to get a picture signed, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I'd be privileged if he would just read it.

Should I also put in a Self-Adressed Envelope? Folded in half or something incase?

Also, anything specific thing I should write in the letter, so I have a bigger chance of receiving a reply?

I definitely would like to handwrite the letter, but on what kind of paper? Lined paper?
How much writing is too much?

I've almost written an essay already here, so if anyone could help, I'd be so happy!

So is this all I need?
- IRCs
- Envelope (don't know what size!)
- Self-adressed envelope (enclosed inside the real envelope)
- Paper
- Stamps

If there's anything that I've missed, or any tips, please tell me. I'm so desperate to send one soon. To be honest, I'll be very sad if I don't receive a reply. I know I'm selfish, because he must receive thousands! But yeah...

Thanks!
Autographs Received: Roger Federer, Robert Pattinson.
Waiting on: Katie Leung, Natalia Tena, Charlie Cox.
Jack Sparrow's Sweety
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: First Time Sending A Fanmail, Please Help!

Post by Jack Sparrow's Sweety »

Hi, Monique_SlashBash and welcome to the forum! :D

First of all, IRC (the one related to fanmails) means International Reply Coupon. They are used if you want to send something outside your country. See this for more info: http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/viewtopic ... 17&t=14171 Well, it'll be good to send 2 or 3 (and if you're not so sure you'll get a reply, put 4) IRC's. You must put them inside the envelope. However, you can paperclip them in front of the envelope, but then, there'll be a bigger chance of them being lost. You'll send the letter to Switzerland. Then you don't need any stams from your country because they won't be accepted. You just have to enclose IRCs.

The average envelope size is 8x11. However, you can also use a 9x12 (A4) envelope.

There isn't something special you should write. You just have to be sincere and not to say 'I'm you biggest fan!!!' or 'Will you marry me?'. And the most important thing is patience. Some letters are recieved sooner and some - later than you've expected.

Yes, it's better to write it by yourself. And for the paper - there isn't a special type.

Of course, you can write your letter and I'm sure that you'll get a reply! Feel free to ask whatever you want and about whatever bothers you!

Good luck!

{star} Jack Sparrow's Sweety {star}
Thnks, hangman, for the great avvy and siggy!!!!

{??} {??} {??} I Love You, Frankie!!!!! {??} {??} {??}
Monique_SlashBash
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Jack Sparrow's Sweety wrote:Hi, Monique_SlashBash and welcome to the forum! :D

First of all, IRC (the one related to fanmails) means International Reply Coupon. They are used if you want to send something outside your country. See this for more info: http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/viewtopic ... 17&t=14171 Well, it'll be good to send 2 or 3 (and if you're not so sure you'll get a reply, put 4) IRC's. You must put them inside the envelope. However, you can paperclip them in front of the envelope, but then, there'll be a bigger chance of them being lost. You'll send the letter to Switzerland. Then you don't need any stams from your country because they won't be accepted. You just have to enclose IRCs.

The average envelope size is 8x11. However, you can also use a 9x12 (A4) envelope.

There isn't something special you should write. You just have to be sincere and not to say 'I'm you biggest fan!!!' or 'Will you marry me?'. And the most important thing is patience. Some letters are recieved sooner and some - later than you've expected.

Yes, it's better to write it by yourself. And for the paper - there isn't a special type.

Of course, you can write your letter and I'm sure that you'll get a reply! Feel free to ask whatever you want and about whatever bothers you!

Good luck!

About the stamps, I mean, I still need to put the Australian stamps on the real envelope (addressed to Roger) though, right? So it'll send...
And then put the IRCs in the self-adressed envelope, and put the self-addressed envelope into the real envelope, yes?
The self-adressed envelope should be the same, A4 size? And I should just fold it in half so it'll fit the real one?
Bah, this isn't supposed to be confusing, but I'm just making sure, never done this before, and I'm become very obsessed with sending this single fanmail. :D
Don't worry, I definitely haven't asked him to marry me or anything, Haha!
No, it's a genuine fanmail, and it's taking me forever to put the wording right etc.
I just want it to be perfect, I hope he reads it.

Thank you so very much for your help!

:)
lizane

Post by lizane »

Monique_SlashBash wrote: About the stamps, I mean, I still need to put the Australian stamps on the real envelope (addressed to Roger) though, right? So it'll send...
And then put the IRCs in the self-adressed envelope, and put the self-addressed envelope into the real envelope, yes?
The self-adressed envelope should be the same, A4 size? And I should just fold it in half so it'll fit the real one?
Bah, this isn't supposed to be confusing, but I'm just making sure, never done this before, and I'm become very obsessed with sending this single fanmail. :D
Don't worry, I definitely haven't asked him to marry me or anything, Haha!
No, it's a genuine fanmail, and it's taking me forever to put the wording right etc.
I just want it to be perfect, I hope he reads it.

Thank you so very much for your help!

:)
Hello Monique_SlashBash! ;-)

Welcome to Fanmail.biz! {clap} I hope you enjoy it here!

To answer your questions...
I'm from Australia, how many IRCs would I need to send a letter to Switzerland?
Where would I put the IRC(s), paperclipped on the envelope, or inside the envelope?
I'm scared the IRC might get detached from the envelope if I paperclip it.
I suggest that you send at least 3 IRC's. {up} You should put the IRC's inside the envelope you address to Roger, along with your letter. Do not paperclip them onto your envelope you send, it will get lost. You can just put them in the envelope along with your letter. {thumb2}
What size envelope would you recommend I post my letter in?
I was thinking about A5, and I should go bigger if I'm lucky enough to get a picture signed, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I'd be privileged if he would just read it.
Luckily, Roger does reply to his fanmail! :mrgreen: You can see previous successes received from him here. Here you can view an example of what photo someone received, it seems like a small postcard so an A5 envelope will work. {thumb2} The envelope (addressed to Roger) in which you put your letter and IRC's, along with the SAE, can be any size. I usually send the smallest possible envelope due to the high postage here in South Africa. :roll:
Should I also put in a Self-Adressed Envelope? Folded in half or something incase?
Yes, the A5 envelope you want to send is the Self Addressed Envelope (SAE). {up} Make sure your mailing address is written correctly on it! You can fold it so it will fit into the main envelope. :)
Also, anything specific thing I should write in the letter, so I have a bigger chance of receiving a reply?
You can write anything in your letter, write it from your heart - that way you'll get the best reply! :D Be polite in your letter but also don't be too formal. You can tell him why you admire him and also write a bit about yourself, anything you think he should know. {up}
I definitely would like to handwrite the letter, but on what kind of paper? Lined paper?
How much writing is too much?
I always handwrite my letters and I write it on A5 paper, not lined as I put a lined paper underneath the one I'm writing on. There's nothing wrong with lined paper though, it's just the one I buy doesn't have lines as it has patterns and flowers on it. So, you can write on any paper you think would look nice. ;-) Do not write more than one page, otherwise it will get too long and the celebrity won't want to read it.
So is this all I need?
- IRCs
- Envelope (don't know what size!)
- Self-adressed envelope (enclosed inside the real envelope)
- Paper
- Stamps
Yes:
- at least 3 IRC's
- an envelope addressed to Roger Federer in which you'll put the letter, SAE and IRC's - any size you want
- SAE, at least A5 sized
- paper on which you write your letter to Roger
- Australian stamps which you buy at your local postoffice (make sure it's enough to ship to Switzerland!), you put them on your main envelope addressed to Roger.

That's it! :D If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask! {thumb2}

Good luck Monique_SlashBash and let us know when you get a reply! :mrgreen:

Regards,
Lizanne
Monique_SlashBash
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

On the Australian Post site it says:

International Reply Coupons:
International Reply Coupons can be exchanged by the addressee for a stamp to prepay air mail postage on a small letter up to 50g anywhere in the world.

Small letter?! I was planning on sending an A4 sized envelope, with an A4 sized self-adressed letter folded in half and put in the real envelope.

But A5 would be considered, small right? I'll have to fold the SAE many times then...
lizane

Post by lizane »

Hello again Monique! ;-)

The IRC's are used for stamps for the Self Addressed Envelope, so Roger will exchange the IRC's at his postoffice in Switzerland. {thumb2} So no matter what size you send your letter, IRC's and SAE in, the IRC's aren't used for your own envelope - you must get Australian stamps for the main envelope with everything in it at your local postoffice (let them weigh your envelope). {up} Now, the IRC's will be used by Roger's agent to get stamps to put on the SAE you sent (the one with your own mailing address on it) so you should consider that envelope's size to figure out how many IRC's you'll need to send. Here's something that might help:
A5 sized SAE = 3 IRC's
A4 sized SAE = 4 IRC's

So yes, you can send either an A4/A5 sized Self Addressed Envelope (SAE) and fold it so it can fit into your main envelope along with your letter and IRC's (IRC's just placed loose inside the main envelope - do not put them inside the SAE or paperclip them onto the main envelope, they'll get lost or will not be seen easily). As I said, try to send everything in small envelope (the main envelope addressed to Roger - smaller than A5) - that way, you won't pay too much for Aus. stamps! :D

Good luck Monique and feel free to ask if you need any more help! :)

Regards,
Lizanne
BananaHands
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by BananaHands »

Hello Monique

Sorry I can't add anything to this post, I wanted to wish you luck and thank you for asking this question as I am about to send my first few autograph requests off in the next week, and this post helped me too.

Mike
Monique_SlashBash
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

BananaHands wrote:Hello Monique

Sorry I can't add anything to this post, I wanted to wish you luck and thank you for asking this question as I am about to send my first few autograph requests off in the next week, and this post helped me too.

Mike
Heya Mike,

Thanks for wishing me luck, I definitely will need it!
No problem, hooray for new autograph collectors. {thumb2}
Well, I also wish you luck too! Tell me when you receive a reply :D

- Monique
Monique_SlashBash
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Lizanne wrote:Hello again Monique! ;-)

The IRC's are used for stamps for the Self Addressed Envelope, so Roger will exchange the IRC's at his postoffice in Switzerland. {thumb2} So no matter what size you send your letter, IRC's and SAE in, the IRC's aren't used for your own envelope - you must get Australian stamps for the main envelope with everything in it at your local postoffice (let them weigh your envelope). {up} Now, the IRC's will be used by Roger's agent to get stamps to put on the SAE you sent (the one with your own mailing address on it) so you should consider that envelope's size to figure out how many IRC's you'll need to send. Here's something that might help:
A5 sized SAE = 3 IRC's
A4 sized SAE = 4 IRC's

So yes, you can send either an A4/A5 sized Self Addressed Envelope (SAE) and fold it so it can fit into your main envelope along with your letter and IRC's (IRC's just placed loose inside the main envelope - do not put them inside the SAE or paperclip them onto the main envelope, they'll get lost or will not be seen easily). As I said, try to send everything in small envelope (the main envelope addressed to Roger - smaller than A5) - that way, you won't pay too much for Aus. stamps! :D

Good luck Monique and feel free to ask if you need any more help! :)

Regards,
Lizanne

Yay! I get it now! Again, thanks heaps for your time. You're so helpful! :D
I went to buy the IRCs today, I bought three of them. $2.80 each! Argh, so expensive, but if I receive a reply, it'll be so worth it. {up}
Yes, so I decided that the main envelope (adressed to Roger) is A5 sized, and so is the self-adressed envelope. Yippee!
I tried to keep this a secret (sending fanmail :oops:), but I was too excited and my mum forced it out of me. :lol:
I was planning on just sending Roger a fanmail, but autograph collecting sounds so fun!
And congrats on receiving one from Robert Pattinson! That's so awesome, I might send him on after I send Roger's.
I can't wait to see Twilight. He's in it, right? They keep changing the actor who plays Edward, and I'm confused. :roll:

I will stop rambling now.

Thanks again, Lizanne!