Bill Clinton Fail + cashed my $175 donation!

Trash
SD814
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Bill Clinton Fail + cashed my $175 donation!

Post by SD814 »

LOL... un-freaking-believable! I sent this family a $175 donation (payable to The Clinton Foundation) a year ago. They cashed my check, so I was optimistic I'd get my items back signed. Got my stuff back today UNSIGNED. Guess they only do favors for $10K+. Thanks Clintons!
Carlosredevil.
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Bill Clinton Fail + cashed my $175 donation!

Post by Carlosredevil. »

SD814 wrote:LOL... un-freaking-believable! I sent this family a $175 donation (payable to The Clinton Foundation) a year ago. They cashed my check, so I was optimistic I'd get my items back signed. Got my stuff back today UNSIGNED. Guess they only do favors for $10K+. Thanks Clintons!
lmao lol you must be a supersized dick to do that hahahaha serves you right
Is DiamondDave a keyboard warrior in the making?
northvscart
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by northvscart »

That sucks... However, when you send a check as a donation, they're not obligated to sign just because you sent that. If you didn't add in your letter that "this check is what I am paying you to sign the enclosed items, then they may have took it as a donation and felt it was theirs regardless. It essentially was, as you should never send anything you're not willing to lose. I would've sent a LOR asking if they would sign with a check before sending it. It's hard to say who even opened your LOR. The Clinton's may not have even seen your request.
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Hartster »

I agree. Before I send stuff to get signed, I write a LOR asking if they could get my items autographed for which I'll provide a self-addressed, postage-paid mailer and a donation. And I usually suggest what the donation is for - for a charity of their choosing, for STEM programs, to pay for the speaker's dinner (when it's the speaker's signature I'm looking for.) Only when they respond positively do I send stuff.

Also: if sending a donation, check is preferable to PayPal. Because if they can't get the items signed and you sent a PP, then you either have to have them PP you the money back or somehow reverse the payment. Either way it's a hassle and embarrassing. With a check, if they can't get your items signed, they'll either return your check or ask if you want it back. Sometimes they'll really be nice and return your check anyway, saying no donation was needed and they were glad to get autographs for you.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/