2008 Presidential Race

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other Fanmail.biz users.
New Fanmail.biz Users: Introduce Yourself Here! 8)
DwightKSchrute

2008 Presidential Race

Post by DwightKSchrute »

Hi,

I know that politics is a VERY personal subject, so don't post if you don't want to. However, some people are fine with admitting who they want to win the 2008 Presidential Race.

All I ask you to do is say who you want and give a few sentences explaining why you want him or her. The last thing I want to cause here is arguments, so please respect other people's opinions.

Personally, I want Barack Obama. I met him a few months back at a rally he held in a local town. He is a very good speaker, and the things he talked about were just what I look for in a president. He wants to make college affordable for everyone, he has a neat and tidy plan for getting us out of Iraq (though that could take some time :razz: ), and he wants health care for everyone in America by the end of his first term. Plus, he has gotten endorsements from some very good politicians: Ted Kennedy, Patrick Kennedy, Caroline Kennedy (though she's not a politician), and John Kerry, to name a few. This tells me that he would be good because these people (who know politics) believe he can help us.

Once again, please do not argue. That was not my intention. If you don't want to share this, then DON'T. I just do not want to read a post like:
This is an autograph collecting forum, not a political debate chatroom! Politics is a very touchy subject. You shouldn't ask that!
Thanks,
DwightKSchrute
Shambler
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: 2008 Presidential Race

Post by Shambler »

Hi Dwight :)

I know I don't live in the USA, but I'm very interested in world politics. I'm backing Obama too, because I'm very much for the liberal/democratic way of thought, and hate any form of prejudice. I love the way he speaks - he reminds of Martin Luther King, and the fact that he is inclusive of everyone (race, gender, age, class), would make him an ideal president. I believe he can truly help the US out of the (please don't get offended anyone) republican mess, and unite people. {up}

Michelle
AUTHENTIC, OR NOTHING AT ALL.
LATEST SUCCESSES : Liam Lawrence, Ashley Young, Daniel Agger
RingosDrum
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by RingosDrum »

I am not quite sure which candidate I would like to vote for just yet. It will definately be one of the Rebublican candidates. I will choose a Republican to keep the USA from a liberal mess (or from getting worse). I absolutely do not want the health care reform to take place.
Shambler
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Shambler »

RingosDrum wrote:I absolutely do not want the health care reform to take place.
I think any health reform that affords opportunities to people who are less fortunate than oneself are great! {thumb2}
AUTHENTIC, OR NOTHING AT ALL.
LATEST SUCCESSES : Liam Lawrence, Ashley Young, Daniel Agger
Mighty_Modders
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Mighty_Modders »

not being american, and so it not being an important issue im liking Barack Obama purely because that is a brilliant name. ahem. he sounds a decent guy though.

to be honest, the only one that has stood out to me is the really conservative one - he doesnt sound good. no idea which is the conservative party in america...but hes the overly religious guy who pretty much seems to want to put human rights back about 50 years...

just as a little aside, that actually really amazed me the first time i found out how the healthcare system works in the usa...it seems really weird when you're used to something different.

im actually dreading our next election...cos i can vote from this year...and theres no-one to vote for. its a pretty rubbish situation. everyones as bad as each other.
Shambler
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Shambler »

EDIT
Last edited by Shambler on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
RingosDrum
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by RingosDrum »

Shambler wrote:
RingosDrum wrote:I absolutely do not want the health care reform to take place.
I think any health reform that affords opportunities to people who are less fortunate than oneself are great! {thumb2}

Sounds good on paper, but it's not a good thing. It's not working as well as people think in the UK and Canada so why would we want to follow same suit? I wrote a paper on this and it involves lots of things. There are people who get health insurance for free right now and it would be no different because people who do have insurance through work or out of pocket would probably rather pay for a private doctor so that their quality of care does not decrease. One of the biggest things that keeps hospitals providing good, quality care is competition. If there is none, such as with a health care reform plan than the quality would decrease. Hospitals are very competetive as they are now. I am in the healthcare field so I see quite a bit first hand.
capsboy1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by capsboy1 »

To be honest, I would not want Hilary Clinton as president. I back Barack Obama. He doesn't have anywhere near the experience Hillary does but he has a much louder "voice' and would be able to force more change than George Bush could. Hilary seems to have taken a backseat with her husband leading the charge against obama. How sad. :(

Credit goes to me for this sweet-sweet sig!
ne0ven0m
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by ne0ven0m »

I personally liked Edwards, although he's gone now. His opinions on every issue reflected my own, and plus he seems like a personable, nice guy. Can't really explain it much further than that.
There's nothing like seeing your own handwriting on a letter addressed to yourself in your mailbox :D
DwightKSchrute

Post by DwightKSchrute »

ne0ven0m wrote:I personally liked Edwards, although he's gone now. His opinions on every issue reflected my own, and plus he seems like a personable, nice guy. Can't really explain it much further than that.
I agree. Although I like Obama more, I think Edwards could have been a great president. However, rumor has it that there may be a spot for him as Attorney General in the Obama campaign. That would be a great job for him, as he is one of the greatest lawyers in America.