Question on sending SASE

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
rennie64
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Question on sending SASE

Post by rennie64 »

I've found that the majority of the celebrities that I send to seem to
always send back my autographs in their own envelopes. I bet I've
receive about 5% of mine back in my own SASE that I have sent them.
That's my observation. Plus, I think of the countless SASE i've sent out and never heard back from the celebrity.

So here is my question. Do you think we could send just letters
instead of SASE too? Or at least to those who are known to send
autographs back in their own envelopes. We could always state if they
used our SASE we included. I mean with postage costing what it does it
would save a lot and give us that many more people we could write to.

This is just a thought. I know by sending them a SASE it probably is
showing how serious we are about getting their autograph.

What are your thoughts, I am curious.

~Rennie~
* Scanner Down and I am behind posting successes, sorry!

I've been collecting since November 2006
Total Autographs: 456
Personal Autographed Letters/Notes: 11
Authentic Autographs: 374
Possible Secretarial: 8
Inscribed Autographs: 215
Postcards: 5
Auto-Pen/Pre-Prints: 63
Stamped:1
Personal Phone Call: 1 - John Crawford!!!
In Person: Tim Wilson, New Found Glory

*May all your mailboxes be full*
RuleroftheWorld

Re: Question on sending SASE

Post by RuleroftheWorld »

95% of celens you write to used their own SASEs? I think this highly unlikely. Most celebs do not pay return postage, and even if some do, that does not mean you should take advantage of them.

I know of one celeb (who I will not name) who spends around £3000/$6000 a WEEK of their own money on envelopes and stamps to reply to fanmail from people who have no sent an SASE. Thats £36,000/$72,000 a YEAR. No matter what the celeb earns, that is a LOT of money from their own pocket.

Always send an SASE, its common courtesy, its polite, and its the right thing to do.
rennie64
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rennie64 »

Thanks for your input. I've always included a SASE with my letters. I am not trying to take advantage of anyone.

It's just a question and an observation.

My percentage wouldn't be off by much. If it weren't so I wouldn't be wondering why they aren't using my SASE and are they reusing the stamps I put on them. Cut them off, tear them off and reuse? Makes you wonder.

rennie64
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rennie64 »

This is what I am talking about.

I received 5 autographs today and nobody used my SASE.

Except the Jerry Springer WAS an e-mail request.

rennie64
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rennie64 »

Oops I mean 6.

RuleroftheWorld

Why did you make the pic deliberatly small? I cant make out any of the envelopes except the Springer one.
rennie64
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rennie64 »

Goodness, you need to just calm down, I didn't deliberatly do anything.

First I took a digital picture of the envelopes THEN I downloaded my picture on photobucket so I could get an URL link so I could add it here. They are the ones who size the picture. How big are you wanting?

Can you not make out the Fox News envelope in the lower left corner. Most of the envelopes I get are these white, blank envelopes (no return biz addresses with the postage that's printed by a postage meter). Mine would have done just fine. I send the yellow ones with folding tabs. I use regular postage stamps. Right now my 1st class stamps have an American flag on them and my 26 cent stamps have a cougar....Seems like a lot of extra work and a lot of senseless cutting down of trees.

I've had some who send a 4X6 autographed picture and I guess instead of using my large envelope and to save on postage I get them in those smaller envelopes. That I can understand.

I always send a SASE. I'm just a curious person. And I've just been thinking about what do they do with all the envelopes and with postage and why waste a perfectly good envelope.

Now, the FOX TV has a nice envelope, very sturdy. I guess they would rather me see "their" envelope and maybe it's due to a more "professional" look that they are going for.

Some one wrote me today and told me that when people don't use his envelopes he gets them sent back in the envelope in which was sent. Now, that would be nice.

I just wanted to ask what others thought or felt on the matter.

RuleroftheWorld

rennie64 wrote:Goodness, you need to just calm down, I didn't deliberatly do anything.

First I took a digital picture of the envelopes THEN I downloaded my picture on photobucket so I could get an URL link so I could add it here. They are the ones who size the picture. How big are you wanting?

Can you not make out the Fox News envelope in the lower left corner. Most of the envelopes I get are these white, blank envelopes (no return biz addresses with the postage that's printed by a postage meter). Mine would have done just fine. I send the yellow ones with folding tabs. I use regular postage stamps. Right now my 1st class stamps have an American flag on them and my 26 cent stamps have a cougar....Seems like a lot of extra work and a lot of senseless cutting down of trees.

I've had some who send a 4X6 autographed picture and I guess instead of using my large envelope and to save on postage I get them in those smaller envelopes. That I can understand.

I always send a SASE. I'm just a curious person. And I've just been thinking about what do they do with all the envelopes and with postage and why waste a perfectly good envelope.

Now, the FOX TV has a nice envelope, very sturdy. I guess they would rather me see "their" envelope and maybe it's due to a more "professional" look that they are going for.

Some one wrote me today and told me that when people don't use his envelopes he gets them sent back in the envelope in which was sent. Now, that would be nice.

I just wanted to ask what others thought or felt on the matter.
Wow. Youre the one who needs to calm down. I said "deliberately resize" as the pic had been resized, which is something you cant do by accident. Photobucket doesnt generally resize pics that small in my experience but nevertheless, moving on....

I still think your claim of 95% of celebs using their own SASE is vastly exaggerated. Of course it will depend on who you write to, but 95% is way too high, I cant believe its anywhere near that amount.

Ive sent off close to 500 requests (all with SASEs) in the last 18 months, and can only remember 1 or 2 instances of the celeb using their own envelope, and I dont remember who the celebs were.

Again, who we send to will make a big difference (as well as me being in the UK and you being in the US), but can you see why Im having a hard time believing 95%?

Im not trying to start an argument or anything, even though I know I come across harsh sometimes!
rennie64
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rennie64 »

Okay, would you be happier with 90% or even 85%. BUT look what I am talking about, I received SIX envelopes just today, none of them are mine. It's all an observation. I just wanted others opinions.

Surely my other picture is big enough for you. You can plainly see the envelopes now.

I believe perhaps the UK / USA thing is a factor AND I am sure who we send off to is even a bigger factor.

I am stating my facts as I see it.
I just simply want to know why celebrities don't use our SASE.

I have been using photobucket for years. My album is set on 320 x 240.
The picture was not resized by me.

I don't think there is much more to say to you about this because you seem to think I am making this all up and saying I resized the picture so you couldn't see the envelopes. I didn't even have to add a picture.

Why would I ask the question in the first place if this wasn't a factual thing for me?

I asked a question and I posted a picture so you could see what I am talking about. I can't do anything else to accomidate you. And yes, you do come off as being a bit harsh.

Life shouldn't be taken so seriously. I mean, when you get right down to it, it's really only pieces of paper with writing on them. There are much more important things in life.

Blessed Day.

nomoredramamama75
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by nomoredramamama75 »

Newbie here,
so I really am not a good source for comparing statistics
on the topic of what percentage of celebs use their own envelopes.

But I just got one today from Sarah Jessica Parker.
She (or her agent) has used a different envelope than my SASE.
The stamps had been cut out off another envelope, seemingly.
I can understand why--as the pic only needed 1/2 of the postage that was on my SASE.

Even if this turns out to be a common practice
amongst those celebs whom I choose to contact
I think that I'll probably continue to send
a 9 by 12 SASE with at least 2 stamps on it.
(Sometimes I put an additional $0.17 stamp on it.)

I think of it kind of like a "give a penny, take a penny" thing at gas stations~~
where there's a cup for extra change that one customer doesn't want
but a following customer may need.
"I hate and I love. Why, you ask? I do not know, I only know I suffer torment."
~~~Catullus, poem 85.

"Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne'er succeed."

~~~Emily Dickinson