Newbie considering a charity auction...

Tell us about your own charity collection, or ask for advice from our charity experts.
sourrgrrapes
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Newbie considering a charity auction...

Post by sourrgrrapes »

Hello everyone! :D

My name is Maria, and I'm a newbie to all of this autograph collecting, but I must say I adore it so far.
I just recently attended my first celebrity auction on Sunday evening, and it was a lot of fun with a wonderful outcome of 6 thousand dollars for the Autism Speaks charity (autismspeaks.org)!! I won an autographed book by Henry Winkler and an autographed bag by Julie Andrews.

I'd really like to host my own celebrity auction on Ebay for the only non-kill animal shelter in my area called Animal Friends. I've read all of the helpful posts in this section, and now I have some questions of my own:

-Will some celebrities choose not to donate items for certain charities?
-Would it be okay if I included a picture of my own so I can get an autograph, too.. or should I save that for a different time? Haha.
-How do I get a proof of authenticity?
-If a celebrity decides to send something other than a picture (i.e. an autographed tshirt or mug) will they make up for the extra postage?
-Has anyone used "The Celebrity Black Book" Edited by Jordan McAuley?
-Does emailing people if you don't have their mail address actually work?

Okay, that is all for now!

Thank you,
Maria
"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center."
-Kurt Vonnegut-
eug
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Newbie considering a charity auction...

Post by eug »

sourrgrrapes wrote:Hello everyone! :D

My name is Maria, and I'm a newbie to all of this autograph collecting, but I must say I adore it so far.
I just recently attended my first celebrity auction on Sunday evening, and it was a lot of fun with a wonderful outcome of 6 thousand dollars for the Autism Speaks charity (autismspeaks.org)!! I won an autographed book by Henry Winkler and an autographed bag by Julie Andrews.

I'd really like to host my own celebrity auction on Ebay for the only non-kill animal shelter in my area called Animal Friends. I've read all of the helpful posts in this section, and now I have some questions of my own:

-Will some celebrities choose not to donate items for certain charities?
-Would it be okay if I included a picture of my own so I can get an autograph, too.. or should I save that for a different time? Haha.
-How do I get a proof of authenticity?
-If a celebrity decides to send something other than a picture (i.e. an autographed tshirt or mug) will they make up for the extra postage?
-Has anyone used "The Celebrity Black Book" Edited by Jordan McAuley?
-Does emailing people if you don't have their mail address actually work?

Okay, that is all for now!

Thank you,
Maria
Hey Maria,
Im no expert on celebrity auctions, but i'll try to help you out!

ok, your first question:
I doubt that a celebrity who signs usually through the mail would say no specially to a charity auction. i would think it would have the reverse effect. some people, such as Julie Andrews, dont usually sign through the mail authentically, but she has been known to sign things for charity auctions

Your second question: Some of the people on this site who run very successful charity auctions do recieve things for themselves too. Whether they ask for them or not i dont know, but im sure if you just slip in that you would like one too (and supply a photo) they would be more than happy to do it. whats the worst that can happen? you recieve something for the charity and not for yourself...oh well, you can always try again!

third question: Basically for this one, the only form of authenticity you have is the envelope that the request comes in. if it's addressed from your celebrity its a pretty good way to prove that its real...but as always, you cant really prove it, especially over Ebay.

fourth and fifth questions: i dont know, but i presume they would...and no i havent!

6th question: email addresses certainly work. one great one is Dame Judi Dench. i've recieved multiple things from her email address!!!

well, i hope that helped a little!

eug {up}
autographs pending: Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Helena Bonham Carter

latest success: Cate Blanchett
sourrgrrapes
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by sourrgrrapes »

So, there is no way I could send a little paper with my letter so they can fill out proof of authenticity? Or is that too much for the celebrity to actually do?
"I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center."
-Kurt Vonnegut-
eug
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by eug »

I think that's too much to ask of them. i mean, they have thousands of letters that they would sign, i doubt they would fill it in for you and again...people will believe what they want to believe...meaning, they might just think that your 'authenticity paper' is faked too...

most people will believe you if it's for charity..not for your own benefit

thanks
eug {up} {up}
autographs pending: Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Helena Bonham Carter

latest success: Cate Blanchett
TheCollector
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by TheCollector »

sourrgrrapes wrote:So, there is no way I could send a little paper with my letter so they can fill out proof of authenticity? Or is that too much for the celebrity to actually do?
Hi sourrgrrapes {up}

Firstly it is great news that you want to start collecting for charity :D

I have been doing the same thing now for quite some time, and it is a very worthwhile (although sometimes time-consuming :wink: ) thing to do.

Just to answer your question above, most celebrities (or their agents) will send an accompanying letter with their donated item - as they usually appreciate the need to confirm authenticity.

Also, postmarked envelopes are important items it keep, so don't throw them away!

I hope this helps!
Good luck :D

Ian :mrgreen: