Sending an Index Card Vs Photo

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
gregg
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Sending an Index Card Vs Photo

Post by gregg »

Does sending an index card with SASE have less of a chance of getting an autograph than sending a photo?
I have been using addresses that everyone has success with (index cards). I wait and wait...
barmy_army008

Post by barmy_army008 »

I nearly always use blank postcards (which I guess are the same as index cards).

There were a couple of times where I really wanted a photo back rather than just a piece of card so I found a picture on Google and printed that of onto glossy paper. Only 1 of 6 has been sent back and theres no real reason for it, as other people have had successes from there.

I think you should just stick with the indexcards. They cost a lot less than buying a photo or new ink cartridges for your printer. I've had lots of successes and nearly every time the person has sent their own photo anyway.

The key is just to be patient {up}
gregg
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by gregg »

OK,
thanx.
Thats what I have been using for about 4 years, but a lot of the addresses that i use, which others I have tested, just sit in their mailbox, unreturned.
I just bought a high quality photo printer (good deal on eBay), with the idea of printing photos.
Ive already sent like 200 index cards in the past 2 months.
Thanx
again!
barmy_army008

Post by barmy_army008 »

If you've just brought a photo printer then it might be ok.

I just used the 'high definiton' option onto glossy paper, but if you were doing it properly and printed onto photo card and stuff then it could work.

I just like the cheapest option possible, which is why I go for index cards.
gregg
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by gregg »

Same here,
cheap is good. I got some photo paper off eBay, at a very low price. Just waiting for it to come in the mail. I cant wait to start printing photos!
rpbluesman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rpbluesman »

Go with whatever you feel like. I personally like photos over index cards. However I can't print out a picture for every celebrity that I write to. My printer is an ink-guzzling printer and the cartridges cost $30 to get a new one. There are some pros and cons of using either a picture or index card.

INDEX CARD PROS -

Cheaper To Buy
Cheaper To Mail
Smaller
Less Chance Of Being Bent When The Mail Comes

INDEX CARD CONS -

Not As Attractive To Look At
Easily Misplaced
Less Likely To Be Signed

PICTURE PROS -

More Likely To Be Signed
More Attractive
Bigger
Hard To Misplace

PICTURE CONS -

More Expensive To Print
More Expensive To Mail
Easily Bent When The Mail Arrives

Index cards are a whole lot cheaper. Both to mail and to send an SASE for return. Just 1 stamp on the SASE rather than 2-3 for a picture. However a picture is a lot more attractive to look at.

Over all, it is just up to the collector to decide what he/she is going to send.
Cutie3409
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Cutie3409 »

rpbluesman wrote:INDEX CARD PROS -

Cheaper To Buy
Cheaper To Mail
Smaller
Less Chance Of Being Bent When The Mail Comes

INDEX CARD CONS -

Not As Attractive To Look At
Easily Misplaced
Less Likely To Be Signed

PICTURE PROS -

More Likely To Be Signed
More Attractive
Bigger
Hard To Misplace

PICTURE CONS -

More Expensive To Print
More Expensive To Mail
Easily Bent When The Mail Arrives

Index cards are a whole lot cheaper. Both to mail and to send an SASE for return. Just 1 stamp on the SASE rather than 2-3 for a picture. However a picture is a lot more attractive to look at.

Over all, it is just up to the collector to decide what he/she is going to send.

Hmm....I have to disagree with you on that. :? I think that celebs understand that not all fans can send pictures. In my personal opinion, it doesn't matter. It doesn't really raise or lower your chances. The celeb will probably sign it if they sign TTM. :| Remember I said personal opinion. :wink:
{??} Noah Lowry {??}

rpbluesman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rpbluesman »

I see what you mean here, and there are no right or wrong answers. It's like you say, it all comes down to everyone's own opinon. In my readings on other sites, I have discovered that many celebs will keep the index card. I personally don't like sending an index card, because it makes you look like you are a dealer. They may open up your letter and see that index card and say "Hmmm, and index card? Is this person a dealer?" Where as with a photo, it may be seen by a celeb that you are a good intentions person with the consideration to send a photo. However, if you send a photo, you need to be ready for it to be kept as well. The reason for this is because it is against federal law to copy photos taken by a professional photographer. Many pictures that you find on the internet will be taken by a professional. I know about this law first hand because I tried to make a copy of a professional photograph (I didn't know about the law at the time). The photo center clerk said that I couldn't make a copy of it because it was a professional picture. Any way back to the topic at hand, it all comes down to you. If you want to send a photo, then send a photo or if you want to send an index card, then send an index card. many celebrities will sign almost anyting if you provide postage.
jdp3577
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by jdp3577 »

rpbluesman wrote:I see what you mean here, and there are no right or wrong answers. It's like you say, it all comes down to everyone's own opinon. In my readings on other sites, I have discovered that many celebs will keep the index card. I personally don't like sending an index card, because it makes you look like you are a dealer. They may open up your letter and see that index card and say "Hmmm, and index card? Is this person a dealer?" Where as with a photo, it may be seen by a celeb that you are a good intentions person with the consideration to send a photo. However, if you send a photo, you need to be ready for it to be kept as well. The reason for this is because it is against federal law to copy photos taken by a professional photographer. Many pictures that you find on the internet will be taken by a professional. I know about this law first hand because I tried to make a copy of a professional photograph (I didn't know about the law at the time). The photo center clerk said that I couldn't make a copy of it because it was a professional picture. Any way back to the topic at hand, it all comes down to you. If you want to send a photo, then send a photo or if you want to send an index card, then send an index card. many celebrities will sign almost anyting if you provide postage.
I just found out about that law too. in the past no one said anything when I got them printed, so Ive sent out about 20-30 and only got 2 back so far, so I guess Ill send out sase and hope they will give me a pic
rpbluesman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rpbluesman »

You quoted me and forgot to make your own remark.