help starting a charity auction

Tell us about your own charity collection, or ask for advice from our charity experts.
superdave
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

help starting a charity auction

Post by superdave »

Hi, i have never done a charity auction in my life but i am looking to do one sometime soon.

I intend to run the auction on eBay but i dont know if you need a separate account to register charity auctions? I am under 18 and until now i have used my parents account.

Also, how long do you think i should schedule the auction for. I thought in around a years time but maybe it should be a shorter scope?

lastly i dont know what else to request other than photo's without seeming to be just greedy...

if anyone can help it would be hugely appreciated

thanks

Dave
TheCollector
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by TheCollector »

Hi superdave {up}

Welcome to the forum :P

Firstly, congratulations in deciding to collect for charity, it is a very worthwhile thing to do!

I would suggest you check out my posting which I think will answer most of your questions:

http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/viewtopic.php?t=39633

Unfortunately you will need to set up a new account if you wish to register for an eBay charity account (although you can use a personal account to sell for charity. You just need to make sure you make it clear it is a charity sale). However the benefit of a specific charity account is that eBay will refund all or some of your listing costs back to your chosen charity :P

I would suggest a year is about right to give you enough time to amass a decent collection.

The above thread will give you a sample letter which will help you to ask for things other than signed photos :D

Best of luck, and please keep in touch if you need help with any other aspect of your collection :P

Ian :mrgreen:
superdave
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by superdave »

that link is great! thank you!!
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

No problem {thumb2}

Ian :mrgreen: