How To Preserve Your Autographs

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
goswannies
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: How To Preserve Your Autographs

Post by goswannies »

dgangel wrote:
MW1221 wrote:What about Ziplock bags?

no, moisture will form in the bag, and will ruin your autographs.
I put those little desiccator packs inside the zip-lock bags. You get usually get as many as you want from your local shoe store as they throw them out when they open new boxes of shoes.
goswannies
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by goswannies »

For my "valuable" autographs on photos, if I want to frame them, I scan them at high resolution, re-print them and frame the re-print. So my original is still safe and sound, stored away from direct sunlight in an moisture free zip-locked bag (with desiccator packets) and the original is on display for all to see (behind glass, you can't tell the difference, but still know o have the original).
Ripsqueak
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Ripsqueak »

I think I go a bit overboard but I use top loaders (for my 8x10s) and these protective sleeves that have a nice flap on them to ensure nothing (dust or whatever) to get inside. You can find these type of sleeves at Office Max 20 sleeve package for about $8. Definitely worth it. I also use these for my signed magazines etc.
Jordann
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Jordann »

I have an acid free photo album.

This is fine, right?
wereout4050
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by wereout4050 »

What do you do about keeping your autographs cool if you do not have air conditioning (and are unable to get it) and it gets hot in the whole house (no cooler place in house)? How do you cool down the room where your autographs are stored? A fan only cools it down a little and it's still pretty hot in my room. I have actually noticed some deterioration due to the heat. Thanks for any ideas.

~ Juli
My Walt Disney Autograph
andz
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by andz »

I'm planning on making a scrapbook of my autographed photos. However, seeing how my old photos turned out in scrapbooks, I'm having second thoughts cos some of my photos got stuck with each other! How different are autographs from ordinary pictures, anyway? I don't want to put them in a box either, because I live in a very tropical country, and they might get stuck too!

I'm thinking of keeping them in their respective envelopes, and store them in scrapbook pages. That would be better, right? Not directly gluing the picture on the paper? I need help! :?
~Andy~
Favourites: Daniel Radcliffe, Zachary Levi (Personalised!), Victoria Beckham, Carey Mulligan (Personalised!)
IP Success: Jason Castro, Lee DeWyze, Allison Iraheta
PP Success: Bonnie Wright
Waiting For: Emma Watson, Yvonne Strahovski, Colton Dixon

Check out more at:
http://innocentwild.blogspot.com/
Ripsqueak
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Ripsqueak »

andz wrote:I'm planning on making a scrapbook of my autographed photos. However, seeing how my old photos turned out in scrapbooks, I'm having second thoughts cos some of my photos got stuck with each other! How different are autographs from ordinary pictures, anyway? I don't want to put them in a box either, because I live in a very tropical country, and they might get stuck too!

I'm thinking of keeping them in their respective envelopes, and store them in scrapbook pages. That would be better, right? Not directly gluing the picture on the paper? I need help! :?
Yeah definitely never glue them ever. If you really wanna make it scrap book style, maybe just making copies of the originals and using the copies in the scrap binder. I would keep them separate in their own protective sleeve. I'd imagine in a much warmer climate you want there to be as much "breathing" space as possible. So personally, I wouldn't do the scrapbook unless you have multiples you are willing to test or copies of originals..and keep the autographs in its original envelops or in protective sleeves within a binder (but not too many in a binder to allow "breathing" room. More pressure in a binder or scrapbook may increase likelihood of getting stuck or whatever. At least IMO.
clash6361
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by clash6361 »

goswannies wrote:For my "valuable" autographs on photos, if I want to frame them, I scan them at high resolution, re-print them and frame the re-print. So my original is still safe and sound, stored away from direct sunlight in an moisture free zip-locked bag (with desiccator packets) and the original is on display for all to see (behind glass, you can't tell the difference, but still know o have the original).

I've done this!! :D It works so well, everyone thinks they're real and no sunlight damages your originals!
harry potter
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by harry potter »

the best way to preserve the autograohs is that we need an dark place and get away from the sunlinght.
the rode to our 5 finger shoe is under constrution
Sheep
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Sheep »

I just have mine is plastic wallets in a folder.
Easy, Cheap.
"3 Heros. 7 Books. 8 Movies. 10 Years. We are the Harry Potter generation.<3"
?????????????????????????????????????????????
My Favourites: Robbie Coltrane, James Buckley, Mark Gatiss
Last 5 Recived:Linda Henry, Mark Gatiss, Stephen Merchant, Jake Wood, Hugh Laurie
Last five Sent: Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill, Karl Pilkington(again), Brendan Gleeson, Rupert Grint
Most Wanted: Harry Potter Cast, Sherlock Cast, House Cast.