Customs forms from US to Canada?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
S53620
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Customs forms from US to Canada?

Post by S53620 »

Hello,

I plan on sending an 8x10 photo from the US to Canada, and I have some questions.

1. Do the postage prices account for any duties or fees necessary for going through customs?

2. My understanding is a customs form is necessary for sending mail in each direction. Does this mean I have to hope a celebrity takes time to fill out a form to send my item back, or is there something I can send along with my SASE so this isn't an issue?

Thanks for any advice or clarifications you can provide.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Customs forms from US to Canada?

Post by admin »

Hi :)
1. Do the postage prices account for any duties or fees necessary for going through customs?
No

In Canada, if someone mails you an item worth CAN$20 or less, you don’t have to pay duty or taxes on the item.
Gifts from friends and relatives, valued at $60CDN or less, are duty and tax exempt.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manu ... sp#1382717
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/posta ... s-eng.html
2. My understanding is a customs form is necessary for sending mail in each direction. Does this mean I have to hope a celebrity takes time to fill out a form to send my item back, or is there something I can send along with my SASE so this isn't an issue?
Yes (for mail containing merchandise)
All mail containing merchandise must have a Customs Declaration form completed when sending the item to the U.S.A. or an international destination (see Section 1.1 Customs declaration requirements). The Customs Declaration forms part of the Canada Post shipping label and also includes the addressee and sender names and addresses.
It is customer’s responsibility to ensure that all customs documentation and item content information and certificates for the goods being shipped are provided and are complete, accurate and legible. Failure to do so may result in the item being returned to sender at the customer's expense, or could result in delays, non-delivery, voided guarantee, if applicable, fines and /or customs seizure in the international destination.
https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manu ... sp#1382680

Fanmail 8)
kimmylee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by kimmylee »

Normal letter mail doesn't generally require customs labels, what kind of envelope will you be using?

I send 6x4s Internationally in a normal paper envelope with no trouble.
NO LONGER ACTIVE
althib
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by althib »

kimmylee wrote:Normal letter mail doesn't generally require customs labels, what kind of envelope will you be using?

I send 6x4s Internationally in a normal paper envelope with no trouble.
I confirm. Unless you're sending something like a book, printed material can go US <-> Canada without customs forms. Do it the same way as you'll do domestically: use the usual envelope sizes mailed at the right postage rate with Canadian stamps from Canada to go and US ones for return and everything should be ok. The only difference is the US stamps for the SASE and writing the country names on both envelopes.