Above and Beyond Successes?

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
usernamegoeshere
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Above and Beyond Successes?

Post by usernamegoeshere »

Just trying to liven the board up and start a (drama-free) discussion on here.

I don't intend to make this a free-for-all list (where people want to send letters to people that they don't even know just to get a huge response). Remember that results aren't typical and more than likely you'll be disappointed if you just send to someone to get freebies.

Anyway, I was just wondering if some of you have had above and beyond successes, and received a letter instead of a signature? And if so, do you have a favorite letter someone has sent, or if they said something (quotes, advice, etc) that really stuck out to you? If not, that's fine!

My major at university is in Graphic Design, so I try to send some sort of art work; pop art, colorized photos, collages, drawings, etc. 9 times out of 10 I have gotten some sort of feedback. I've gotten letters from Jeannie C. Riley and Mary Costa, and others like Raviv Ullman and Clifton Davis left some feedback (even if it was just a sentence or two). It made me feel very happy to see that they actually took the time to read my letter and comment on my art work! It's nice to know that even if my art teachers at school don't seem to think I have what it takes (and that they think my artwork is unacceptable for college), others do see something in me and like the stuff I create!

As for stuff that has stuck out to me, I sent a photo I colorized to Jeannie C. Riley (she was wearing a miniskirt) and she said something along the lines of "...it was interesting to see how you turned a gray dress into a yellow one." I couldn't but laugh as I'd never have imagined coloring the dress gray. :lol:

So what about you all? Have you gotten an above and beyond success?
BossC
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Above and Beyond Successes?

Post by BossC »

I have been fortunate to get a lot of letters back. Others inscribe a message on the photo that shows they read my letter.

Of the top of my head my favorites are:
Tara Samuel-she answered my questions and decorated the envelope
Kathleen Munroe wrote on the back of a script she was reading
Many figure skaters-Eric Radford sent an email to say my photos were on their way
Derek Webster sent an extra item from a role I loved

BossC
sir_clackers
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Above and Beyond Successes?

Post by sir_clackers »

I had two great none-autograph successes from F1 teams. I have a young son who wants to be an engineer and wrote top them asking for inspiration for him. One team sent a hard back book of their cars (RRP £45!!) and from another a chief engineer wrote him a lovely letter full of advice and inspiration.

I won't name the teams as I don't want them to be bombarded by people fishing for free stuff but I will see they're two of the biggest and best known teams. :)