Gale Sayers Don't bother!!!!

Post your feedback about a celebrity address you have tested. Win a $10 Gift Certificate! How? Test an Address and Post your Feedback!
jason1980s
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Gale Sayers Don't bother!!!!

Post by jason1980s »

Always pays to do research a complete research on signing habits, not just the last few posts on autograph ttm sites.

As for a fee, I would rather the players all get together and start a set fee program to counteract the few who do resell their ttm autos. It would guarantee a response for the fan, would garner money for either the player or a charity of their choice and the ones who will take advantage will have to pay up.

I'm sure, all the players have gotten their kindness taken advantage of, even if at least a time or two. 10 years ago there was a bum getting in touch with elderly players and their wives to "buy" their memorabilia and the checks wound up bouncing. Thankfully, justice prevailed rather quickly.
HEY WRESTLING FANS!

Meet WWWF and NWA wrestling legends Handsome Jimmy the Boogie Woogie Man Valiant, a WWE Hall of Famer

ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!
Get your picture taken with Jimmy!
Enjoy his museum of wrestling memorabilia
Purchase a souvenir t-shirt, dvd or book or have a mask, pair of boots or trunks customized by Jimmy's talented seamstress wife, Angel
Watch his talented BWC students perform in-ring.

Thanks always, for your support Jimmy!
http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/
vjw0307
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by vjw0307 »

tommie wrote:I think so but I'm not sure. I was at sportscollectors.net.
If you were on sportscollectors.net you would have see that every one before you sent $10, there was also a note posted on his TTM page that stated his list of fees.
jason1980s
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jason1980s »

The SCN failures section hilariously includes failures with known fee charging athletes with the comments section citing "didn't know he charged" yet it's almost always a athlete who has been charging for years, like Rollie Fingers or Gaylord Perry.
HEY WRESTLING FANS!

Meet WWWF and NWA wrestling legends Handsome Jimmy the Boogie Woogie Man Valiant, a WWE Hall of Famer

ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!
Get your picture taken with Jimmy!
Enjoy his museum of wrestling memorabilia
Purchase a souvenir t-shirt, dvd or book or have a mask, pair of boots or trunks customized by Jimmy's talented seamstress wife, Angel
Watch his talented BWC students perform in-ring.

Thanks always, for your support Jimmy!
http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/
arrowsup
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by arrowsup »

tommie wrote:As far as Sayers not making money and not paid like today's athletes. When he played inflation was low and you could actually buy something for a dime. The dollar was worth a dollar not like today.
In the NFL draft of 1965, he was drafted in the first round by the Chicago Bears of the NFL. Sayers himself negotiated a four-year contract with the Bears that paid him $25,000 a season and included a signing bonus of $50,000.

Somehow I don't think inflation will make up the difference with today's players...that salary plus bonus is worth $280,000 per year in today's dollars (according to an inflation calculating website), slightly less than first round money in 2014. Gale has made his money after football.
tommie
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by tommie »

I'm glad that he was successful. This is America and everyone has the chance to better themselves. That is still no excuse for charging such large fees. I have been doing this for 40 some years. Before Ebay and all the rest. I collected because I enjoyed it. It will be a damn shame if the kids get where they get nothing but RTS or some guy charging. If a few guys want to try and supplement their income so be it.
This hobby should be for everyone especially the kids. They are the ones that will keep it going.
Jammydodger
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Jammydodger »

tommie wrote:I'm glad that he was successful. This is America and everyone has the chance to better themselves. That is still no excuse for charging such large fees. I have been doing this for 40 some years. Before Ebay and all the rest. I collected because I enjoyed it. It will be a **** shame if the kids get where they get nothing but RTS or some guy charging. If a few guys want to try and supplement their income so be it.
This hobby should be for everyone especially the kids. They are the ones that will keep it going.
I don't think this hobby will last for anybody much longer. It's the selling of them that celebs don't like and the majority of them don't like internet sites like this one that makes it easy too get addresses.
I know a very well know famous actress that lives in my village that I have spoke too her and she the amount of fanmail she gets because of this actual site is ridiculars and very time consuming signing and pleasing everybody where 10, 15 years ago when she was more popular she only received 10% of what she receives now. It's a pain in the arse she says.
Craig911
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Craig911 »

tommie wrote:I'm glad that he was successful. This is America and everyone has the chance to better themselves. That is still no excuse for charging such large fees. .
$10 is a large fee? i guess if you can't afford to spend $10 on an autograph then you should find a cheaper hobby such as scrapbooking or bird watching. how can you be a collector for 40 years and not know about athletes charging?
In the end, We all get what we deserve

"YOU ARE THE ANTICHRIST!!"
-anonymous pm
tommie
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by tommie »

When I started collecting very very few athletes or anybody charged. Remember that there was no Ebay. There were autograph shows here and there but that was mainly to see what everyone else was doing. I have never paid for an autograph and I won't. These people have made PLENTY of many because of people like us. They should be thankful for what they have or had. If they blew the money well that's on them. Take responsibility.