Al Kaline Failure - kept donation, sent back card unsigned

Post your feedback about a celebrity address you have tested. Win a $10 Gift Certificate! How? Test an Address and Post your Feedback!
jbwesterfield
$10 gift certificate winner

Al Kaline Failure - kept donation, sent back card unsigned

Post by jbwesterfield »

Sent: Feb 24, 2014: LOR, SASE, Donation, 2010 Topps Baseball Card
Received: March 10, 2014: Unsigned 2010 Topps Baseball Card. Did not return my donation and he took the card out of the penny sleeve and kept it as well.

Address Used:
Al Kaline
3613 York Ct.
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48301

Envelope:
Uploaded with surfmypictures

Unsigned Card:
My Favorite 10 Authentic TTM Returns From the Past Year:

arobertson
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Al Kaline Failure - kept donation, sent back card unsign

Post by arobertson »

ohhh. thats cold
jbwesterfield

Post by jbwesterfield »

I've been told he can be a real prick in-person. But I saw where he had signed a few as of late. Should have known better

MW1221
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MW1221 »

arobertson wrote:ohhh. thats cold
No, it's not.

He has no obligation to sign or return the money.

But sure, go ahead and insult the celebrities.

That will guarantee future signatures.
BIG JOHN
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by BIG JOHN »

That sucks what a turd.
MW1221
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MW1221 »

BIG JOHN wrote:That **** what a turd.
Once again, the best way to get him to sign in the future is TOTALLY to insult him online for not doing someone a favor.

Oh yeah. That's totally the way collectors should behave.
jbwesterfield

Post by jbwesterfield »

MW1221, heck yeah I'm going to insult him. I have read where he has even ripped up money and sent it back with an unsigned card. Also read where he cursed a kid for asking for an autograph. Had I known more about this jerk, I would have never sent to him in the first place. As an American, I am entitled of my Freedom of Speech. And as a collector, if a celeb is out of line, then I can warn others of his/her rude behavior. As I can of yours as well... Good day

MW1221
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MW1221 »

jbwesterfield wrote:MW1221, heck yeah I'm going to insult him. I have read where he has even ripped up money and sent it back with an unsigned card. Also read where he cursed a kid for asking for an autograph. Had I known more about this jerk, I would have never sent to him in the first place. As an American, I am entitled of my Freedom of Speech. And as a collector, if a celeb is out of line, then I can warn others of his/her rude behavior. As I can of yours as well... Good day
Freedom of speech has nothing to do with any of this.

And I don't believe I had a problem with anything you had to say.

Please show me what part of my response was directed at you.
MW1221
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MW1221 »

jbwesterfield wrote:MW1221, heck yeah I'm going to insult him. I have read where he has even ripped up money and sent it back with an unsigned card. Also read where he cursed a kid for asking for an autograph. Had I known more about this jerk, I would have never sent to him in the first place. As an American, I am entitled of my Freedom of Speech. And as a collector, if a celeb is out of line, then I can warn others of his/her rude behavior. As I can of yours as well... Good day
He also has every right to do all of that, including keeping whatever is sent to him.

This is a private individual, not a business. He has no obligation to return anything sent to him in the mail and he has no obligation to provide anything in exchange for any money sent to him in the mail. He made no offer to sign anything in exchange for any amount of money.

You sent him a gift of money and a baseball card. He had no use for the baseball card, so it was returned to you. He wanted the money, so he kept it.

I would do the same thing if someone I don't know sent me unsolicited mail containing a baseball card and money, regardless of what the letter says.

And before you tell me that the money wasn't a gift, you'll want to look up the definition of "donation", which is your word, not mine.

If you wrote him and he wrote you back saying "I'll sign this card in exchange for x dollars", then he's required to sign the card in exchange for that money.

But you sent him a card and money and expected him to do you (a total stranger) a favor in exchange for the money.

Complain about a non-celebrity doing what he did and you'll be laughed at for sending a total stranger money with the expectation of them either doing you a favor or returning it and not one person would think it was anyone's fault but yours.

But for some reason this is HIS fault?
badleejeff
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by badleejeff »

First off, very sorry about your RTS. I wrote to Al a few months back with no donation and he signed for me within 2 weeks. I recommend trying again, my with out even including any money, that way the worst you can lose is your card, which you could more easily replace. By the way, I read some where that a lot of players don't like signing cards that alrwady have the fake printed sigs on them. That may be totally untrue, but maybe that would be worth a try too?
As far as whether Mr. Kaline is obligated in any way to sign for anyone...honestly I come out on the side that says "yes". To SOME extent I believe celebrities ARE obligated to do things for fans. If it weren't for the fans, what would these celebs really be? When you decide to take the millions of dollars and step out into the spotlight, you DO give up certain things. Celebs are "on call" the same way a doctor is. Doctors trade away their right to a full nights sleep when they sign up for the job. In return the reap lots of tangible benefits. He really should have returned your money. Did he HAVE to? No. Are you correct in saying that it kinda makes him seem loke a jerk for not sending it back? Yup. If I see an old woman fall on the sidewalk I don't HAVE to help her up when she asks me to. I'm under no contract or obligation to do so, but we can all agree that it makes me a jerk if I refuse. That said, Mr. Kaline is getting up there in years, and perhaps it was simply and oversight. I would try him again if I were you!! :) good luck and I hope we see a success reported next time!
Jeff Lees
...now I pray for a single kiss from her, to be lashed and crucified...