10) Where to buy US stamps?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
nightowl
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: 10) Where to buy US stamps?

Post by nightowl »

You're welcome! {thumb2}

If you can't find what you need on ebay you can always buy them from USPS. But you must "call" them on their toll free number to order them, and just pay by credit card. They will mail them to you.

If you are not sure about the size of the envelopes in usps you can click on Show Dimensions, at the top of the page where the prices are. This will give you the size for the envelope for that price. It can be smaller than that but not over.

For example a letter can be up to: Max. length 11.5", height 6 1/8" or more than 1/4" thick

A large envelope can be up to: Max. length 15", height 12 or more than 3/4" thick
rafaelgar12
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rafaelgar12 »

well, thank you again... i'll try to get those stamps... I have to... otherwise I will miss lots of autos in my collection :(
nightowl
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by nightowl »

I know what you mean. I live in Canada and sending $2 US for return postage doesn't always work, especially VV. On "rare" occasions it does work, VV, but I would "not" count on it. If I see someone else get a success that way then I go for it.

If I can get stamps for another country I try to. I've bought French stamps, from France Post---there you can buy any denomination, in any amount. I tried to buy them from Switzerland, but they required a minimum order of $15---and I didn't need that much. I have tried to buy them from the UK, but they don't offer them in the denominations I need in small amounts. You have to buy like one hundred. I have seen booklets of four world stamps, but it's already expensive for me and those would add up to more than I would require on one envelope. But if that's all I can get then I'll have to take it.

I have been lucky enough to have a friend in the UK that can help me out. I mail him the money and he mails me the stamps I need. But I feel like I am bothering him every time I ask. He says no, but . . .

Another thing you can do it to check the success thread for that celeb and see what other people have done. If they have gotten a success using an IRC or cash, then you can always go that route. If I want to make my stamps stretch then I'll sometimes send US cash instead---IRC's are expensive by comparison, are not always available, and not all countries accept them. I know if they are receptive to IRC's that would be the same as using the cash to buy stamps. And as they are willing to go to the post office---or they are sending their assistant---then that works. {up}
nutsinahat
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by nutsinahat »

Just a wrning to everyone that U.S. Postage is increasing again in May. Time to stock up on the "forever" stamps that will be good no matter how much they raise the price.
tomsapples2000
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by tomsapples2000 »

So to clarify, any US stamp so long as it covers the actual cost of posting, will do?

I can see this whole fan-mail and autograph process is more expensive than I first thought, still it's a bit of excitment and fun isn't it.
Selise

Post by Selise »

tomsapples2000 wrote:So to clarify, any US stamp so long as it covers the actual cost of posting, will do?

I can see this whole fan-mail and autograph process is more expensive than I first thought, still it's a bit of excitment and fun isn't it.
Yes, any US stamp will work so long as it covers the cost of the posting.

It does get expensive, especially since postage prices keep going up, but if you can't get to meet celebs IP, it's a lot cheaper than air-fare. :) At least, that's how I look at it.
Favorite Autographs: Luciano Pavarotti (IP), Joan Baez, Dorothy Hammill (IP)
Newest Autos: Tim Allen, Daniel Radcliffe x3, John Lithgow
Visit My Site (not all autos up yet!): http://selise.fotopic.net/ <-recently updated
MoonlightWishing
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MoonlightWishing »

Hey! Some quick questions - hope you can help!

1) Instead of US stamps, can I use UK stamps which cover the same cost?

2) How much are IRCs?

3) If you don't include enough stamps, will most celebrities make up the cost?

Thanks everyone!

Lilli {??}
EastendersFan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by EastendersFan »

MoonlightWishing wrote:Hey! Some quick questions - hope you can help!

1) Instead of US stamps, can I use UK stamps which cover the same cost?
If your wanting a letter to be sent back from the US to the UK, they don't use UK stamps so you would have to buy US stamps
2) How much are IRCs?IRCS are around 95p in the UK but can vary from country to country

3) If you don't include enough stamps, will most celebrities make up the cost?I think its nice that you pay postage for an autograph u have requested. Your more likely going to get your autograph back if you pay postage

Thanks everyone!

Lilli {??}
JamesLarden
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by JamesLarden »

In the UK, they sell postage coupons - when the item is sent, the receiver can use these coupons and exchange them for stamps. Haven’t tried this yet, but I will test it and see if it works.
Selise

Post by Selise »

JamesLarden wrote:In the UK, they sell postage coupons - when the item is sent, the receiver can use these coupons and exchange them for stamps. Haven’t tried this yet, but I will test it and see if it works.
Yes, it will work. Those are called IRC's. (International Reply Coupons)