Rooney's Injury and The World Cup

Chat about UFC/MMA, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Tennis, and Soccer here.
Tomaldo
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Rooney's Injury and The World Cup

Post by Tomaldo »

As I type this there are only 5 weeks to go until the biggest football fest on the planet, a month of non stop football.....brilliant!

Yet at the weekend, our English hopes were, in my opinion broken like Rooney's 4th metatarsal.

What are your opinions on our English chances now?

Who do you think Sven should play?

And who do you think will win?

Personally I don't think we stand a chance, even less chance without Wazza but will gladly eat great slices of humble pie if I am wrong.

The feasible solution would be to put Carrick in a holding role infront of the usual back four allowing Lampard, Gerrard and Beckham (although this system would not suit him, and if he wasn't the icon he is wouldn't be playing at all) to 'roam' in front of him. If we meat a team with a superb attack, such as Brazil, Becks cna drop back to hold alongside Carrick while we hit the good team on the break, either with long balls or pace andinginuity. This would leave Joe Cole as a second striker playing off Owen (another who get in on reputation rather than present merit).

I am deliberating on putting money of the Czech Republic to win. They were the best team at Euro 2004, the climate will suit them, most of their starting X1 are at the peaks of their powers. You can't look past Brazil either, but I just dont think the European climate suits them, and with aging fullbacks and a leaky defence are looking strong but not unconquerable.

Any thoughts?
chewytoffee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by chewytoffee »

I know one player doesn't make a team but Rooney certaintly did make the whole England team play better.

However we can't totally rule him out of the World Cup: David Nugent (of Preston) came back after 6 weeks after breaking his metatarsal, so I'm being optimistic!

:D

The Police Reunion Tour
16th October MEN Arena

UPDATED: 22/05/07
James

Post by James »

chewytoffee wrote:I know one player doesn't make a team but Rooney certaintly did make the whole England team play better.

However we can't totally rule him out of the World Cup: David Nugent (of Preston) came back after 6 weeks after breaking his metatarsal, so I'm being optimistic!

:D
Lets hope Rooney is better soon {up}
Tomaldo
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Tomaldo »

Yeah thats true about Nugent but I would still think about 12 weeks recovery looking at other players who have broken similar bones. Of course, although Rooney is by far Englands best player, it may not be advisable to rush him back for the short term if it may damage his long term fitness. Climate and squad experience wise though, this would have been (and perhaps still is) our best chance - you have to question whether the like of Beckham and Gaz Neville will be around next time - they will be 34 in 2010, and Lampard will be 32.....
chewytoffee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by chewytoffee »

Look on the bright side Wayne Rooney's face appeared on a muddy football!

This could be an omen... :?

The Police Reunion Tour
16th October MEN Arena

UPDATED: 22/05/07
Mighty_Modders
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Mighty_Modders »

chewytoffee wrote:Look on the bright side Wayne Rooney's face appeared on a muddy football!

This could be an omen... :?
ah, how can we lose!

the problem with england is it takes them so long to get into a game. when they're on top form they are a very good team, but it takes ages to get there. i dont get why everyone is pinning our chances on rooney, its a whole team. they should still be able to play world class football without him. im not going to pretend i know a lot about all the position and players (ok i know nothing) but if they want to do well theyve all got to get into the game much, much faster.

and have a lot of luck.
James

Post by James »

Most not forget that we are still second faves to win with the bookies! :)

Laura I love your signature with Peter Crouch!