Handwritten Letters vs Computer Typed Letters

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
horror66
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Handwritten Letters vs Computer Typed Letters

Post by horror66 »

Hey,
I was curious on what everybody's opinion is on which is better to use- a computer printed letter or a handwritten letter?

Personally, I have weak hands and they cramp easily. I've been handwriting all of my letters. What I want to know is your success rate with your method because personally I think handwritten letters are nice and seem more personally but I find I can write a longer and more personal letter on the computer and print it.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Once again- lemme know your success rate.
christine
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by christine »

I personally like to handwrite all of my letters, but i have typed some of them (like two or three) and I’ve had more success with my handwritten letters!!! I’ve only gotten a response to one of my handwritten letters.

Christine :D
nowandagain

Post by nowandagain »

Hi horror66

So far, all of my requests have been handwritten. I've got a number of them back, but still many more out there that I hope will come back soon.

Many people on this forum also send out typed letters and receive responses back. Take for example Ian (TheCollector.) He's been sending out numerous requests for charity (all typed) and have received a lot of responses.

I don't think your chances of receiving a response will increase/decrease should your request be typed as compared to handwritten requests. I do prefer handwritten requests though, I feel they're much more personal. If your handwriting isn't the neatest, typing would be the way to go.

However, I don't suggest you send long letters though, as celebrities may only skim, or worse still, not read your letter as it's so long.

Good luck!

nowandagain [rockon]
keith191283
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by keith191283 »

I used to send all my letters typed, but got very few responses (that was back in early 2004), but for about the last 1 1/2 years I've sent all my requests with hand-written letters, and my success rate is much, much higher.
darthfrede
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by darthfrede »

I have only sent out requests written on my computer. However, I don't just copy/paste my letters. I make sure that they're all very personal... and I sign them.

My success rate has been pretty decent so far (I have only been doing this for about three months, now). The technicalities of how the letter is written shouldn't affect your chances of a success. It should be what's actually written that matters... in a perfect world, at least.
[something incredibly clever]
darthfrede
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by darthfrede »

BTW... This discussion is making me REALLY anxious!

Now, all I can think about is that the approx. 35 requests, which I haven't received responses from (yet), have failed because they are type written!

AAAAAAARGHHHHHH!!!! :cry:

:wink:
Naylor
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Naylor »

When i write to celebs i handwrite as it shows that i have but effort into getting a peice of paper out and wrting it rather than just pressing buttons on a keyboard but if you do type make sure you put a signature of your own at the bottom of the letters to mark out that the letter has been typed by you.
Preston Till I Die!
darthfrede
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by darthfrede »

Naylor wrote:i handwrite as it shows that i have but effort into getting a peice of paper out and wrting it rather than just pressing buttons on a keyboard
Writing a letter on a computer does take a little more than merely pressing random buttons on a keyboard. I truly hope that any celebrity (with just a little sense) realize this!
Like I've written in posts above, I believe (or hope) that celebs are able to tell the obvious differences between "copy/paste-typed-letters" and "personal-typed-letters".

Am I really the only one, who's sending typed letters? Up until know I didn't even stop to think that it might make any difference.
nowandagain

Post by nowandagain »

It shouldn't really matter whether it's typed or handwritten. What counts is the content of your message to the celebrity.

There are definitely many people who send out typed letters, and receive responses. darthfrede, you may have been unlucky enough to write to those who have/are yet to reply to their fan mail. You'll probably get something soon.

nowandagain [rockon]
horror66
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by horror66 »

Thanks for everybody's opinions. It's looking like by-hand is the way to go.