Sport Autograph Collecting question

Chat about UFC/MMA, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Tennis, and Soccer here.
acwilliams
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Sport Autograph Collecting question

Post by acwilliams »

I have decided to make the theme of my collection football (soccer) orientated. I buy Match magazine every week and starting last week, sent some posters off to sign, and I plan to carry this on every week. This is the letter template I plan to use:

Dear X
I am a 14 year old who is looking to start a big autograph collection of all the big premiership stars, so I would be grateful if you could sign the poster enclosed. If you wish, then there is a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope for you to send the poster back in. I apologise for the shortness of this letter and I am grateful for your time.

Yours Sincerely,
Anthony Williams.

I have 2 questions:
1. Do you think I am sending requests too regularly?
2. Is this letter enough to get a quick reply?

Any help appreciated.
cernan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by cernan »

I would take out the part of starting a big autograph collection. When players see that they might think that you are a dealer. I think it is best to leave off that part. Also it would be a good idea to mention some of his/her accomplishments and tell them briefly why you like them, etc. It would make your letter seem less like a forum letter. Hope this helps!
cernan@fanmail.biz
Feel Free to PM or Email me with any questions or comments!
I will try to answer as soon as possible although that may not always be possible due to my busy schedule.
James

Post by James »

Hi Anthony. I never knew you were 14- I am 13 :)

I would say something along the lines of this:

Dear ________
my name is anthony williams and i am 14 years old. i think that you are a great footballer.
i think that you are a great striker.midfeilider ect- for ____________, and i think that you are doing fantasticly well for ____________. add a bit more here.
i was wondering if you would be able to sign this poster from MATCH magazine, as I would love to get it back signed by you.
thank you for your time, and i hope that you are able to reply soon,
yours sincerely,

anthony williams

I also send posters out of match, and have had James Milner, Jermaine Jenas and Frank Lampard back that way.
acwilliams
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by acwilliams »

Thank for the advice but is that letter OK? Also, do you think that sending 4-6 out every week is too much? Cos I would like the quickest reply possible.
London Bombings Charity.

Post by London Bombings Charity. »

Hi Anthony,

Which letter are you reffering to? My one or your one?

Secondly, I think 4-6 requests each week is fine- I send about 10 a week, sometimes even 20.

I would aldo send an SASE and then you should get a good response.

Some players get more fanmail than others, and may take longer, and some players either dont sign at all or dont sign items sent by fans, only signed club cards.

I must say though that my sucesses have been alot faster when I have sent posters than when I have sent nothing at all.

Good Luck,
James
acwilliams
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by acwilliams »

Thanks. I am talking about my letter.
James

Post by James »

Hi Anthony,

I would add a little bit more into the letter, maybe saying how you think they are great for (their team)

Also take out the bit about the collecting- it may make you look like you are just trying to get their autograph for the sake of it.

Hope this helps,
J {up}
Tomaldo
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Tomaldo »

Regarding number of requests you send I week, I found that when I started collecting, I was sending out sometimes up to five requests a day! But after nearly 9 months (wow didn't realise it was that long) , I have found I am sending requests on a less regular basis, usually about 2 a week. This is not through boredom with the hobby, but through lack of resources (to send to the USA on a regular basis is expensive) and limited time (with college work etc).
allhahaheehee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by allhahaheehee »

i send about 5 out when the soccer season is on and i tend not to send loads to the same club at one one time.
WeeMan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by WeeMan »

Sorry for the lame question, but... where I can find e-mails to soccer [football] players?
Over 2000 successes!
And about a half for the charity too! :)