I think someone on EBay is faking autographs.

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
plhepner2
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

I think someone on EBay is faking autographs.

Post by plhepner2 »

So, I'm searching on EBay hoping to get lucky for an autograph and I come across a store/seller named "btb-marketing". You'll probably come across the seller too if you look under the autograph-original section under entertainment memorabilia. Anywho, he's got all these photographs from nearly every person conceivable including the cast of Shrek, Spiderman, Too Close for Comfort, Heather Locklear, Naomi Campbell, Jenna Jameson, Jessica Hahn, Jessica Simpson, and tons others that we real fans know are nearly impossible to attain. He states that the pictures were signed in person but I have a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone known of a female celebrity to actually sign bikini photos/risque photos of themselves in person? Isn't that kind of awkward to shove a half-naked picture of Sarah Michelle Gellar in front of her and then for her to actually sign it?
2. Most of us know that celebrities that REALLY sign in-person sign the picture really quick and it's different from other pre-printed photographs where you might be able to tell the signature. Everyone of the signatures look like time was taken to sign and I just don't believe that you can get the entire Shrek cast in one shot.
3. If he really had all these photos, then why the heck is he selling them? Aren't these considered "valuable property"?
4. Is they are fake, how in the heck is that possible?

Your thoughts on this long post?? :roll:
Time is our biggest critic.
Joeay
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Joeay »

Well I don't know about this seller but the title of this message just makes me laugh.

Last I looked on ebay, about 80% of the autographs I saw there were fake, and I could tell cos I have IPs from those same people that I got myself and they looked nothing like it.

From what I hear it seems that ebay has just got worse since then.

Basically, I personally would never buy an autograph. But if anyone plans to buy an autograph of anyone, look for a proper dealer, someone you trust. Will be a shame to waste money on trash.
harrylare
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by harrylare »

Someone, only one??? LOL That's too funny. I read in the sellers ad Not responsible for typo errors. I wonder if Authentic is one of those typo errors. LOL {drunkard}
If your looking to purchase an autograph I suggest any of the dealers at http://www.uacc.org and http://www.autographworld.com
Piper
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Piper »

My favorites are the ones where the seller has misspelled the celebrity's name. Like, at least make an effort, dude!
vivalakayla
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by vivalakayla »

Piper wrote:My favorites are the ones where the seller has misspelled the celebrity's name. Like, at least make an effort, dude!
Haha that is funny who was the celeb that had their name spelled wrong?
vivalakayla

Post by vivalakayla »

Joeay wrote:Well I don't know about this seller but the title of this message just makes me laugh.

Last I looked on ebay, about 80% of the autographs I saw there were fake, and I could tell cos I have IPs from those same people that I got myself and they looked nothing like it.

From what I hear it seems that ebay has just got worse since then.

Basically, I personally would never buy an autograph. But if anyone plans to buy an autograph of anyone, look for a proper dealer, someone you trust. Will be a shame to waste money on trash.
I've bought an autograph on Ebay like 6 times but it was for a charity. As long as it goes to a good cause then that's fine with me :)
IamLOST922
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by IamLOST922 »

I was once told that if it is a private auction then it is probably a fake because no one can email the high bidder to tell them that it is a fake. Funny just how many ebay autograph auctions are private. Also, I hate how some of them use tricky wording. Have you ever seen those that say, this is a copy of a photo signed by so and so. That could be taken that the photo itself is a copy but the autograph is not. Makes me mad how some people are making a living off of ripping off others.
beachbum_no1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by beachbum_no1 »

i agree their is so many fakes on ebay i have put stuff on before and people have thought its fake becuase it looks different from the fakes when actually its an in person lol

its screrws it up for people who want to sell something genuinly
Joeay
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Joeay »

beachbum_no1 wrote:i agree their is so many fakes on ebay i have put stuff on before and people have thought its fake becuase it looks different from the fakes when actually its an in person lol

its screrws it up for people who want to sell something genuinly
Well I can definitely say I witnessed you in action and your autographs are genuine ;) Perhaps you should put up a site and sell your stuff there, might be a bit easier and people might actually believe you. Also put your pictures with/of. No better proof than that.
plhepner2
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Good

Post by plhepner2 »

Good input from everyone! I was actually going to buy some autographs for my school auction so I didn't really care if they were pre-prints but I'm wondering - not to get too technical - but what do they do? Do they compose these things on a computer and print them out or what? It's not fair that there's this "counterfeit" world out there. :x
Time is our biggest critic.