What sized photo should I send?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
Satindust
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

What sized photo should I send?

Post by Satindust »

Hi, I'm new to this site, my name's Claire and I'm hoping to get an autograph from Tony Slattery.
I have his address, I know exactly what to do except one thing - What size should my photo be? Just big enough for him to put an autograph on or should I cut around the photo leaving some white paper so there is more room?
Thanks,
Claire
Waiting for: Tony Slattery (Sent 27/10/11)
-----------------------------------------
Life's too important to be taken seriously.
HappinessStan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: What sized photo should I send?

Post by HappinessStan »

Hi,

The size makes practically no difference - it's really is completely down to personal preference, although I wouldn't personally go larger than something to fit in an A4 envelope.

As you've correctly identified, it's more important to allow the person you're writing to lots of lovely clear space to sign, without encouraging the use of silver or gold marker, which will have already started rubbing off before it reaches you.

The mistake I made when I started was to send out very dark photos, and even ones which look fairly light on a PC screen will look darker when they are printed. Another thing that I never used to consider is that whoever is signing might not be taking time to think about where they are signing, and you'll get it back with half of the signature on the light part, the rest in black marker on that huge black area you never imagined they'd sign across.

If the picture is fairly dark, then I always add a big white border, with at least one third of the area at the bottom plain white, or with a really, really faint watermark.

In short, you're right, leave lots and lots of clear light space.

Good luck
Satindust
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: What sized photo should I send?

Post by Satindust »

Hi Stan

Thanks so much for your reply. I've decided to use the photo below, but put a white border around it. It's hard to find any large photos of him WITHOUT dark bits, so it'll have to do!

Thanks again.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3493/tonyz.png
Waiting for: Tony Slattery (Sent 27/10/11)
-----------------------------------------
Life's too important to be taken seriously.