Bigger Shipping

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
rtcald
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Bigger Shipping

Post by rtcald »

I don't send out many autograph request, just the ones I really want. I was thinking about sending out larger items instead of just pictures like I normally do. Any suggestions on how to properly ship this? I haven't the faintest idea on how to pay for the return shipping on the item...HELP!
HappinessStan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Bigger Shipping

Post by HappinessStan »

It depends what you're sending, and the mail service's policies in the country you're sending to and from.

The short answer is that you need to put whatever you're sending in something which will give it protection, will not be difficult for the person you're sending it to to get into, and will be easy to re-package to send it back to you. If you lovingly completely cover a box with sticky tape and expect the celebrity to do the same to get it back to you then you're not likely to see it again. You really, really need to make it very, very simple.

If you're using packaging then use bubble wrap, not loose polystyrene beads or something messy and fiddly.

Pack the item in the box or tube or whatever will be used to return it to you, on which you'll have put your name, address and the return postage - because you'll have the box all ready to come back you'll be able to work out how much postage it'll need to get back to you. Put the letter on the outside, then wrap it all round with paper, with enough tape - but no more - to get it where it's going.

Consider also that most celebs would probably rather have photos to sign - they are flat, easy to put back into an envelope, and generally of low enough value that they don't have to feel bad if a few go astray along the way.

Don't send anything you're not prepared to lose, and make sure they sign TTM.