lurker problem

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other Fanmail.biz users.
New Fanmail.biz Users: Introduce Yourself Here! 8)
vespasian
$10 gift certificate winner

lurker problem

Post by vespasian »

the forum has hundreds of lurkers :neutral: when you look at all the people looking at posted successes,and the number actually posting anything,this makes it apparent,it also puts off genuine collectors from posting there successes,in case the celeb gets swamped by these people,,most of theses lurkers are looking for info,so they can send off and then sell them, some sort of regulation might be a good idea? thats my opinion anyway
Myself205
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: lurker problem

Post by Myself205 »

I don't post successes anymore as admin can't say why my posts have been deleted when I see post with email addresses (like Alyssa Milano) when people say that we shouldn't share emails. I see posts without a picture or dates for example but some posts stay up.
We need fairness on this forum as well as consistency
Pebbles22
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Pebbles22 »

Unfortunately when you have so many members on a site you will find that a lot lurk. There can be no control whereas with smaller sites they can control it. Also like myself205 says there needs to be more consistency.
johnnylightning
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by johnnylightning »

I know i post my successes still but i don't give any addresses out which isnt fair to other genuine fans i know but who knows whos a real fan and who isnt.I only say if i got the autograph from a address already on here but if its a diff address or a via venue address i found on my own i dont give address information {down} Its sad but too many lazy people looking for easy autographs without doing any work or people looking to sell them :?
vespasian

Post by vespasian »

johnnylightning wrote:I know i post my successes still but i don't give any addresses out which isnt fair to other genuine fans i know but who knows whos a real fan and who isnt.I only say if i got the autograph from a address already on here but if its a diff address or a via venue address i found on my own i dont give address information {down} Its sad but too many lazy people looking for easy autographs without doing any work or people looking to sell them :?

i dont blame you at all,you have a good policy
goswannies
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by goswannies »

Can't people PM addresses? That way you know it's to a member and not a lurker (and you can see how many posts the member you are PM-ing have ... eg if they are a "member" with one or two posts, they might be a "lurker" trying to get an addy, but if they have 100 posts over a few months, they are probably a genuine member.
dfreely
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by dfreely »

vespasian wrote:the forum has hundreds of lurkers :neutral: when you look at all the people looking at posted successes,and the number actually posting anything,this makes it apparent,it also puts off genuine collectors from posting there successes,in case the celeb gets swamped by these people,,most of theses lurkers are looking for info,so they can send off and then sell them, some sort of regulation might be a good idea? thats my opinion anyway
How do you know for sure that they're lurkers? You don't know exactly who are looking at topics - it could be search engine spiders, could be search engine hits, could be someone just having a look-see, etc. Just because someone doesn't post doesn't necessarily make them a lurker. And while there certainly are spammers, it's hard to really control that without turning this into some sort of "club" or paid site, like other sites have taken to.
johnnylightning wrote:I know i post my successes still but i don't give any addresses out which isnt fair to other genuine fans i know but who knows whos a real fan and who isnt.I only say if i got the autograph from a address already on here but if its a diff address or a via venue address i found on my own i dont give address information {down} Its sad but too many lazy people looking for easy autographs without doing any work or people looking to sell them :?
I've pretty much stopped posting a large percentage of my successes for similar reasons.. too many people here will just spam an address. I've found little reason to bother posting them without a matching address, that's nothing more than bragging and it usually ends up setting off arguments or getting deleted anyways.
vespasian

Post by vespasian »

dfreely wrote:
vespasian wrote:the forum has hundreds of lurkers :neutral: when you look at all the people looking at posted successes,and the number actually posting anything,this makes it apparent,it also puts off genuine collectors from posting there successes,in case the celeb gets swamped by these people,,most of theses lurkers are looking for info,so they can send off and then sell them, some sort of regulation might be a good idea? thats my opinion anyway
How do you know for sure that they're lurkers? You don't know exactly who are looking at topics - it could be search engine spiders, could be search engine hits, could be someone just having a look-see, etc. Just because someone doesn't post doesn't necessarily make them a lurker. And while there certainly are spammers, it's hard to really control that without turning this into some sort of "club" or paid site, like other sites have taken to.

the posting numbers are low,and its consistent numbers too,,most posted successes get no more than 3 comments,even though there is quite often hundreds of visits eventually,its on all the posts ,day in,day out,,,,,,,if you dont contibute your a lurker,its as simple as that,,nobody with any sense is going to post a result,that they have spent hours researching,for some lurker to use to bombard a celeb ,until they stop signing for real collectors,be assured there will be dozens of dealers and sellers just waiting for these kinds of opportunities
dfreely
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by dfreely »

Yeah, but again, you don't know whose visits those are. It's hard to imagine if a thread has hundreds of views, that all those are lurkers just looking for addresses to spam, especially given this site's search engine rankings and lack of competition.

And as bad as lurking spammers are, what about those who just blatantly do it? There's times when I've seen members here reply to successes saying they think it's cool and they're going to send one too, despite the fact they don't even know who the celebrity is, and yet that sort of spamming is ignored or sometimes even encouraged.
vespasian

Post by vespasian »

yes exactly,they send of to celebs they dont even know? that means only one thing,there more intrested in selling,than collecting