How can we solve Britain's economic crisis

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other Fanmail.biz users.
New Fanmail.biz Users: Introduce Yourself Here! 8)
lummycorks
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

How can we solve Britain's economic crisis

Post by lummycorks »

Hi,

Just thought people might like to share their ideas on how we can deal with the credit crunch.

I think we should ban football. People waste millions of pounds on buying a person who can kick a ball. How pointless!

please share
****LUMMYCORKS****

Visit the websites:
www.thetworonnies.yolasite.com
COMING SOON - www.asktheactor.yolasite.com
johnnylightning
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: How can we solve Britain's economic crisis

Post by johnnylightning »

I dont think the football thing will help because they usually don't spend more than the teams bring in in revenue,plus arent the teams run by private investors and owners mostly? I do know something that would help in britain though,i saw on tv that they banned smoking in pubs and now half of them have closed down and people drink at home so right there was a bad mistake.Pubs bring in a lot of tax dollars.
ScottishDan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by ScottishDan »

johnnylightning wrote:I dont think the football thing will help because they usually don't spend more than the teams bring in in revenue,plus arent the teams run by private investors and owners mostly? I do know something that would help in britain though,i saw on tv that they banned smoking in pubs and now half of them have closed down and people drink at home so right there was a bad mistake.Pubs bring in a lot of tax dollars.
Got to disagree with you about the smoking in pubs. I think that was a great law! If people want to smoke in a public place, they can take a couple of steps out the door and light up. I think it's unfair for other people to have to breath in smoke while having a meal etc.. I'd rather have my health before wealth.
Last edited by ScottishDan on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lummycorks
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by lummycorks »

personally, i still think football is a waste of money and time. Stadiums need to be made to major expense!!

Also, of course smoking should have been banned in public areas!! People who don't smoke don't want to be breathing in oyher people's tobacco smoke and damaging their own bodies.
****LUMMYCORKS****

Visit the websites:
Jaffer
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Jaffer »

I would say johnny is speaking the most common sense here. Banning football would make zero sense, as the money does come from private ownership, so I fail to see what help that would do. Anyway, Wayne Rooney for example, pays tens of thousands of pounds in tax per week. Why get rid of that revenue
I have no data on the matter, but anecdotal evidence seems to back up johnnys claim.
When my family went to England, we had dinner at a few pubs. Smoking was allowed. Now,we knew that before going in. If it bothered us, we could simply have gone to a non smoking place. I don't see why others can't. Unfortunately, it is part of the western worlds stupid reaction to smoking. Instead of common sense solutions, governments desperately want to look like they are tough on smoking, and thus pander to paranoia about second hand smoke. My mate just came back from Japan and he, a non smoker, said they got it right. In a nightclub/bar, those who smoke either sit at a table, or lean against a wall well away from everyone.
But I digress. The above paragraphs were about why things are wrong. But it is hard coming up with solutions. The rise in uni fees was possibly justified, but it sounds a bit short sighted. Cutting useless government employees would be a start. Britain has the most government workers per head of population. I don't know what your top tax bracket is, but I would raise it to 50%. If the uk budget is anything like the USA, then millitary spending must be cut. It sounds cruel, but I would also cut foreign aid.
Best successes: Gal Gadot, Jennifer Lawrence, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Rachel McAdams

Best Responses: Freida Pinto, Gemma Arterton, Berenice Marlohe, Jeremy Renner

Recent successes: Connie Nielsen, Ursula Corbero, Daniela Melchior, Kate Beckinsale, Amber Heard
johnnylightning
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

ScottishDan wrote:
johnnylightning wrote:I dont think the football thing will help because they usually don't spend more than the teams bring in in revenue,plus arent the teams run by private investors and owners mostly? I do know something that would help in britain though,i saw on tv that they banned smoking in pubs and now half of them have closed down and people drink at home so right there was a bad mistake.Pubs bring in a lot of tax dollars.
Got to disagree with you about the smoking in pubs. I think that was a great law! If people want to smoke in a public place, they can take a couple of steps out the door and light up. I think it's unfair for other people to have to breath in smoke while having a meal etc.. I'd rather have my health before wealth.
I was just answering the question about the economy not about smoke itself because smokers bring in the dollars because they drink more and socialize instead of just eating and leaving.It would make more sence for the people just eating in the pubs to stay home or eat in a regular restaurant as opposed to a pub.
johnnylightning
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Another thing that costs britain a fortune and is pointless in the modern world is the monarchy. They have no power anymore because the prime minister and the government runs everything they are just sort of for show now and cost a lot of taxpayers dollars to maintain. The cost of Prince williams wedding alone would probably feed the whole country for a year. Its 2011 now time to get with the program.They are like that shiny jaguar you like to say you have but can't afford to own anymore but cant admit it,lol Except jaguar isnt even abritish company anymore because they let all their brand names be sold off.I was a little sad to see the new mini being made by german bmw {down}
lummycorks
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by lummycorks »

Jaffer - personally, I believe football is an utter waste of money. nothing will make me change my thoughts. Stadiums are a waste of money, making the kits, football, nets and other equipment is a waste of money and so many people watch football on Tv and this is coming out of our country's money.

And also how can anyone say that smoking should not have been banned in pubs! Non-smokers - people who don't what to become really unhealthy and get all kinds of diseases - should still be allowed to go into any pub, club or any public place where they want to go!! I think smoking should be banned altogether personally.

:o
****LUMMYCORKS****

Visit the websites:
lummycorks
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by lummycorks »

you can't get rid of the royalty!
****LUMMYCORKS****

Visit the websites:
johnnylightning
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

lummycorks wrote:Jaffer - personally, I believe football is an utter waste of money. nothing will make me change my thoughts. Stadiums are a waste of money, making the kits, football, nets and other equipment is a waste of money and so many people watch football on Tv and this is coming out of our country's money.

And also how can anyone say that smoking should not have been banned in pubs! Non-smokers - people who don't what to become really unhealthy and get all kinds of diseases - should still be allowed to go into any pub, club or any public place where they want to go!! I think smoking should be banned altogether personally.

:o
It seems to me like you dont really care about the economy and you just really hate football. How is watching football on tv coming out of your countries money lol Advertising pays for the tv time. You really just hate football and trust me football is not ruining your economy so dont start pointless conversations... {down} [ca]