Finding autographs at Thrift Shops...yes, it does happen!!

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
Ink&Bones
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Finding autographs at Thrift Shops...yes, it does happen!!

Post by Ink&Bones »

Just thought I'd start a little topic concerning perhaps an untapped market for many of you....thrift shops! Yes, I've found many autographs, mostly books, from thrift shops. In all the years that I've frequented thrift shops, I've found signed books, clothing, record albums and CDs, posters, etc..Like I said, it's mostly going to be signed books that you find, and pickings have been REAL slim for awhile(the shops are getting a bit wiser), but you can still find stuff. Back in the day, I found autographed books by Howard Stern, Chuck Norris, Christy Lane and Uri Geller. Here's a few things I found yesterday:
Florence Littauer is a professional public speaker and author, with everything she does based in Christianity. She has written over 30 books, with most selling over 100,000 copies and herself and her books have won numerous awards. This is a copy of Blow Away the Black Clouds, personalized by her.
Jerod Haase was a starter and co-captain of Kansas Jayhawk Basketball during 1994-1997. He now is an assistant coach of the North Carolina Tar Heels. When he was a player for KU, he averaged 12.5 points a game and only missed 2 out of 101 games. This is a copy of his book, Floor Burns, signed by him with his jersey number.
Mary Yukari Waters is a professional author, with two books having been published by Simon & Schuster. This is an Advanced Reading Copy of The Laws of Evening, signed by her on second blank endpaper at front of book.
All three of these are up for sale or trade(just PM me!)
So when you're at the thrift shop next time, take some time and page thru some books. I don't have any certain rhyme or reason to how I do it, I just start grabbing books and looking for signatures. The thrill of the hunt is exhilirating!
Last IP: Author Hilari Bell-Sept. 17, 2010
Favorite TTM Autographs: Pawn Stars Cast, George W. Bush, George H.W. Bush, Brett Rickaby, Lance Burton, Charlie Daniels, Oddities Cast, R.L. Stine, George Lopez, Dennis Quaid, John Carpenter, Amazing Kreskin, Dame Judi Dench, Casting Crowns, Justin Bieber, George Hardy, Electric Prunes, Robert LaSardo, Ozzy Osbourne, Jack Ketchum, Adrian Raeside, Brian Crane, Amon Amarth, Laura Bush, Daniel Tosh, Ted Alderman, Michael Phelps, Jay Leno, Judge Judy, Herb Alpert, Inna, 311, Larry Zerner, Wilco and Sylvia Lewis

Check out my new Autograph website: http://sydsautographs.webs.com/
Join my site NOW and be entered to win FOUR Authentic Autographs!! Drawing is on 1/30/11 at 5pm!!
RYAN J.

Re: Finding autographs at Thrift Shops...yes, it does happen

Post by RYAN J. »

Very cool! I've found books at Goodwill signed by Donald Trump & Billy Dee Williams! :D the book section is the first place I look when going to Thrift shops now. {up}

RYAN J. 8)
Tabby
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Tabby »

Wow this is amazing. I haven't been this lucky. We have Goodwill and I love going there for books but so far I haven't found anything signed. I hope to find something like this someday.
I mainly collect voice actor and Disney related autographs-Any questions with Disney successes/addresses? Feel free to PM me!
Screwtape
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Screwtape »

About ten years ago I went into a Sand Dollar and saw a signed photo of a man on a horse, dressed as a knight, in a dollar frame. I had no idea who this was but it looked as if it had been taken in the 60s and since it was only a dollar, I bought it. I figured I could go online and try to find out who this guy was. Well, after a day or two of being unable to decipher the signature, I thought maybe there would be some writing on the back of the photo that would give me a clue, so I took it out of the frame.

A piece of paper and a signed photo of Willie Mays fell out. Someone had used it as 'filler' between the photo and the back of the frame. It was Willie between two men in business suits, on a baseball field, and made out to 'John', which is my name. The paper was a certificate to 'John', thanking him for his work on getting the Astrodome built.

I checked the background of the Mays photo, and yes, it was taken in the Astrodome. The scoreboard was right behind them. So for a dollar, I got a vintage Willie Mays autograph taken in the Astrodome before it opened, made out to 'me'

Sadly, I don't have it anymore, it was washed away in a flood. But ever since then...I look.
Outwent
Sharon Mitchell, Lola Albright, Gloria DeHaven, Peggy Dow, Joan Freeman, Marsha Hunt, Debra Paget, Eleanor Parker, Lizabeth Scott, Betta St John, Van Williams, Elaine Chao, Margaret Spellings, Lisa Lisa and Huey Lewis.

Neil Ross, Ruby Dee, John James McGinty, Clarence Eugene Sasser, Brian Miles Thacker, Candace Cameron, Louise Currie, Kitty Kallen, Betty Bromson, Yvonne Furneaux, A.J. Johnson, Barbara Lawrence, Mya Harrison, Polly Bergen, Vanessa del Rio, Ashley Massaro, May Wynn, Pat Crowley, Kathleen Hughes, Joan Collins, Piper Laurie, Cindy Herron, Jean Porter and Ox Baker.
Ink&Bones
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Ink&Bones »

RYAN J. wrote:Very cool! I've found books at Goodwill signed by Donald Trump & Billy Dee Williams! :D the book section is the first place I look when going to Thrift shops now. {up}

RYAN J. 8)
:D Great finds, Ryan! Goodwills are USUALLY the best. How long ago was it that you found these?
Favorite TTM Autographs: Pawn Stars Cast, George W. Bush, George H.W. Bush, Brett Rickaby, Lance Burton, Charlie Daniels, Oddities Cast, R.L. Stine, George Lopez, Dennis Quaid, John Carpenter, Amazing Kreskin, Dame Judi Dench, Casting Crowns, Justin Bieber, George Hardy, Electric Prunes, Robert LaSardo, Ozzy Osbourne, Jack Ketchum, Adrian Raeside, Brian Crane, Amon Amarth, Laura Bush, Daniel Tosh, Ted Alderman, Michael Phelps, Jay Leno, Judge Judy, Herb Alpert, Inna, 311, Larry Zerner, Wilco and Sylvia Lewis

Join my site NOW and be entered to win FOUR Authentic Autographs!! Drawing is on 1/30/11 at 5pm!!
Ink&Bones
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Ink&Bones »

Tabby wrote:Wow this is amazing. I haven't been this lucky. We have Goodwill and I love going there for books but so far I haven't found anything signed. I hope to find something like this someday.
Just keep looking....something's bound to turn up sooner or later! :lol:

Ink&Bones
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Ink&Bones »

Screwtape wrote:About ten years ago I went into a Sand Dollar and saw a signed photo of a man on a horse, dressed as a knight, in a dollar frame. I had no idea who this was but it looked as if it had been taken in the 60s and since it was only a dollar, I bought it. I figured I could go online and try to find out who this guy was. Well, after a day or two of being unable to decipher the signature, I thought maybe there would be some writing on the back of the photo that would give me a clue, so I took it out of the frame.

A piece of paper and a signed photo of Willie Mays fell out. Someone had used it as 'filler' between the photo and the back of the frame. It was Willie between two men in business suits, on a baseball field, and made out to 'John', which is my name. The paper was a certificate to 'John', thanking him for his work on getting the Astrodome built.

I checked the background of the Mays photo, and yes, it was taken in the Astrodome. The scoreboard was right behind them. So for a dollar, I got a vintage Willie Mays autograph taken in the Astrodome before it opened, made out to 'me'

Sadly, I don't have it anymore, it was washed away in a flood. But ever since then...I look.
Great find, Screwtape! It's too bad you don't have it anymore. I don't have a lot of the autographs I used to have either. As a matter of fact, the Howard Stern, Chuck Norris, Christy Lane and Uri Geller books I talk about I don't have anymore...I sold them off a few years ago....stupid me... :cry:

RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

Ink&Bones wrote:
RYAN J. wrote:Very cool! I've found books at Goodwill signed by Donald Trump & Billy Dee Williams! :D the book section is the first place I look when going to Thrift shops now. {up}

RYAN J. 8)
:D Great finds, Ryan! Goodwills are USUALLY the best. How long ago was it that you found these?
Donald Trump I found back on September 1st 2009

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=148582

And Billy Dee Williams I found back on June 26th 2010

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=179617

RYAN J. 8)
Ink&Bones
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Ink&Bones »

RYAN J. wrote:
Ink&Bones wrote:

RYAN J. 8)
Donald Trump I found back on September 1st 2009

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=148582

And Billy Dee Williams I found back on June 26th 2010

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=179617

RYAN J. 8)
GOOD STUFF!

Politician
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Politician »

In one day, I decided to search through a bunch of books at around 5 thrift stores, and found the following signed books:

Koop by C. Everett Koop.
Code to Zero by Ken Follett (first edition too!).
Perfect Enough by George Anders.
The Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner.

And one or two more. It was a great day.
Favorite Autographs: Karl Rove, Newt Gingrich, Jeb Bush, Condoleezza Rice, John Ashcroft, Tom Campbell, Glenn Beck, Ron Paul, James Leavelle, Donald Rumsfeld, Bob Dole.

Waiting On: 30+ Former/Current NFL Players, Olivia Newton John, Zack Galifianakis, Madeleine Albright, Rob Blagojevich, Sherman Adams, W. Michael Blumenthal, Anthony Lake, Norm Mineta, Bill Perry, Brendan Byrne, Pat Buchanan, Colin Powell, Melvin Laird, Rudy Giuliani, Thomas Chong, Adam West, Ed Koch, John Dingell, Andrew Cuomo, John Thune, Fred Grandy, John Boehner and many many more.

If you ever need any assistance with autographs [especially political], just PM me and I will help the best I can!