Insiders guide to VV requests

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
IHeartAutographs
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Insiders guide to VV requests

Post by IHeartAutographs »

PART ONE:

I am a tour manager of a pretty well known band (sorry, won't tell you) and also an autograph collector. We get requests at almost all venues...some days 1, some days 25. Every venue SHOULD pass along any correspondence sent and actually it is in most artist(s) contracts that "anything pertaining to the show", i.e. mail, be sent to the management team. Many venues break this rule by not forwarding the mail.

For those venues where you don't get your stuff returned...it IS opened and more than likely the person opening it (office manager), will keep the photos and get them signed or give them to friends and get them signed for themselves. I've seen this with my own eyes many times. Remember, the office manager works at the venue and is able to go backstage and leave things on the "artist table" for the artist to sign. Every venue has one, where CD's, posters, etc. are layed on a table and the band goes around signing whatever is on there. Sometimes one or two miss an item and that is why an item may be returned missing a member. There are usually 50-60 things on the table per night, most are for employees, contest winners, promoters, and radio station sponsors.

WHEN an autograph requests gets forwarded, it is given to the tour manager 99% of the time. I always open it and YES, I DO READ EVERY LETTER and half the time at least one band member will as well...those requests that just say, "You are great, sign the photo please", will be politely returned unsigned, provided you send a SASE (will get to that topic in the next paragraph). A sincere, at least eight to nine sentence, letter will get your item signed (if you send more than two, the rest will be returned unsigned.) Sellers on eBay, make this rule happen...sorry collectors!
IHeartAutographs
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Insiders guide to VV requests

PART TWO:

The SASE....must, MUST be included in every request and must be able to fit the signed item in it. Believe it or not some people send a 5x7 envelope to return an 8x10...sorry, I get to keep it! If you live in a foreign country, if at least $3.00 isn't attached for US postage, it is my item again...best bet is to send a $5.00 bill. Unfortunately, any foreign requests only get sent out every 5-6 weeks as an assistant only goes to the PO once a month or so to mail foreign requests with the US dollars sent for postage. I remember one time we sent 50 or so envelopes and paid $180 in singles for postage...the PO employee was most happy as he thought we planning a trip to an 'adult venue' (wink,wink).

Most items, if not signed at the venue, are brought on the tour bus as it gives something for the band to do, while not sleeping or playing xBox 360, travelling to the other venue. Bottom line is...I see every request actually given to me and if the above rules are followed, you get your up to two items signed. I am a collector too, so I do emphathize with those venues that don't forward mail, like they should. Hope this helps!
ursha
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by ursha »

That's great to read :D Thanks for posting it ;)
Thanks to Seb for my beautiful set! :)

Favourites: Kellan Lutz!, David Wenham!, Frank W. Abagnale, Tom Felton, Billy Boyd,
Adrien Brody, Channing Tatum, Geoffrey Rush, Robert Pattinson, Ian Somerhalder
Most wanted: Dominic Monaghan, Amanda Bynes, Heath Ledger (RIP)
Last one received: James Franco

{star} My Autograph Website
Sammya
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Sammya »

Very, very useful! Thanks! :D
>> My autograph collection site << *NEW WEBSITE!*
honey
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by honey »

Wow, it really helps!
Thanks for writing :)

Favourite Successes: Taylor Swift {??} Shannen Doherty, Katy Perry, Rachel McAdams, Jude Law
Most Wanted:Taylor Swift, Sandra Bullock, Nelly Furtado
Last successes:Taylor Swift, Colbie Caillat, Channing Tatum, Sienna Miller, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Robert Pattinson
Waiting For:Jessica Stroup, Matt Lanter, Nelly Furtado(vv), Alicia Keys(vv), Nina Dobrev,Scarlett Johansson, Emma Roberts

http://www.twitter.com/evellayn
Follow me? ;)
AxlSlash
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by AxlSlash »

Good tips! One question, though: sometimes I keep my VV letters pretty short (4-5 sentences) out of deference to the artist's busy schedule; does keeping them so short prevent results? If so, I'll restrict myself less!
Jaffer
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Jaffer »

Cheers for the tips {up}
Best successes: Gal Gadot, Jennifer Lawrence, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Rachel McAdams

Best Responses: Freida Pinto, Gemma Arterton, Berenice Marlohe, Jeremy Renner

Recent successes: Connie Nielsen, Ursula Corbero, Daniela Melchior, Kate Beckinsale, Amber Heard
IHeartAutographs
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Remember, the tour manager gets the letter first, IF it is forwarded! My own personal requirement is that someone at least make one or two compliments, then the request. You won't believe how many two sentence requests I receive. Unfortunately, many people want to get items signed to sell on eBay, a lot of tour managers are aware of that, as I am one myself.
jaash
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jaash »

Great info and helpful tips for us to follow -- thanks for posting!!!
It really is a shame that people who aren't really fans try to get items signed just so they can sell on ebay, so I understand some artist's reluctance to sign as generously as they used to. With that said, though, I have recieved quite a few VV requests back from artists who I really didn't expect to hear from....so the bands/artists who do sign when it's obvious the person writing is a big fan are much appreciated!
See my collection at http://jaash.webs.com
HarajukuGirl92
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by HarajukuGirl92 »

Thanks for the tips. I hate how Ebay sellers ruin it for everyone else. I never send for more than one request other than a few times when I've asked for one for my brother also. Plus im kinda affraid to send VV, just in case I never get what I sent back, I sent my first VV last week and I think the letter was very good. I said how much I liked said person and that I wanted to go to the show so bad but I was to young for the venue. And that I love her new CD and my fav songs are such and such. Does that sound like a good one? I so hope I get something back. Oh ya i sent it to Miranda Lambert :)
She's my favorite Singer :)
Mosted Wanted:Country Music Legends & Outlaws

My Favorite's So Far TTM:His Holiness The Dalai Lama

Last Sent Out: Dolly Parton

Latest Success TTM: Josh Gates

Other Fav's NOT TTM: Taylor Swift & Stephenie Meyer

In Person Fav:Luke Bryan