How do you store your autographs?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
JRR121
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: How do you store your autographs?

Post by JRR121 »

I bought a photo album that can hold 16 8x10s and 50 5x7s. I'm running out of room for the 8x10 pages, but I still have plenty of room left for the smaller photos. As another poster said, you can get frames for dirt cheap. I saw some at a dollar store one time; they might not be the top of the line, but they'll do what you need them to do.
Authentic successes TTM: Jay Leno, Bob Barker, Jim Tressel, Katee Sackhoff, Hugh Hefner, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Lucy Liu, Pawn Stars, Alex Trebek, Katy Perry, Steve Carell, Oscar Nunez, Lynda Carter, Jeff Foxworthy, Craig Ferguson, Jenna Fischer, Alan Jackson, Nancy Cartwright, Summer Glau, Edward James Olmos, Creed Bratton, Jewel Staite, the Mythbusters build team
woa
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by woa »

I keep mine in those plastic tubs you can buy at most office supply stores that are designed to hold hanging file folders. I then add hanging file folders sorted alphabetically.

Works great to store them as the tubs have lids that seal very tight to protect the photos from the external environment (and hopefully earthquakes here in CA) and of course each item goes in its own acid free collector sleeve.

It will cost you a few dollars up front but I think you would agree that your collection is worth it.

Once you get it all setup your photos will be well protected, able to travel easy (especially if you move) and be very easy to sort through. Much easier than photo albums. I highly doubt you to find a better system that is still portable. :D

Here is an example of the tubs (many office supply companies and even Costco (in the USA) carry them):

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Letter-L ... rea=SEARCH

Here are some nice hanging file folders (They are plastic so they hold up better. The paper based ones break over time) but most any hanging folder will do:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Clear-Po ... rea=SEARCH

These guys make acid free sleeves in 8x10 as well as many other sizes:

http://www.collectorsafe.com/Welcome.html

I hope this has helped.

Michael
Last edited by woa on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slazza
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Slazza »

I keep mine in an acid free photo album
kimsmarkin
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by kimsmarkin »

Keep only in â € autographs RO € polyester Mylar, cellulose acetate discs, and place a box with acid-free file. Do not use polyvinyl chloride (PVC) folders. They can be identified by their olfactory œplasticâ € â €.
Buckelew
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Buckelew »

I place mine in plastic covers and store in binders , however the ones I love I buy inexpensive but nice frames and pin them up ,so I and others can enjoy them everyday.My biggest fear is fire or theft hope those never happen.I Pray for their protection!
TheBritishBloke
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by TheBritishBloke »

I'm not being mean but a lot of you are boring.

I have about 50 clip frames sitting In a cupboard at home in various sizes, as soon as an autograph arrives I admire it for a few minutes, then pull out the hammer and it goes up on the wall.

These things shouldn't be stored away, they should be on display!
kimmylee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by kimmylee »

The 8x10's are in a temporary A4 wallet project book.

The 6x4's are homeless currently, just ordered two really nice albums for them in the sale ;)
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Kira
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Kira »

Hello!

So I got this huge signed Flashpoint poster and it will definitely take me a while to have it framed. Now it's still rolled in its tube and I wonder if that's safe to do. The sigs were done in silver marker/sharpie. And say, I won't get a frame but instead leave it be in the tube.. is that okay?

Newbie here, so any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks! :)
jeannie
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jeannie »

i just framed my Tim Roth autographs