Help Me!! History Revision =[ World War One Anyone?

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other Fanmail.biz users.
New Fanmail.biz Users: Introduce Yourself Here! 8)
FMercuryLove
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Help Me!! History Revision =[ World War One Anyone?

Post by FMercuryLove »

Right, can somebody tell me the basics of WW1 IN SIMPLE!! Everywhere I read is so complicated!! ...including The Treaty of Versailles! I've got an exam 9:00 tomorrow. I'm actually gonna die. Help?
Thanks x
Brookton
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Help Me!! History Revision =[ World War One Anyone?

Post by Brookton »

Hi FMercuryLove,

I did History at GCSE last year, I know how you feel!
SO many facts and figures I found it hard to remember it all!

Try googling WW1 history revision, schools history website is quite good and the BBC has some good resources too.

Good Luck! :D

Brookton
FMercuryLove
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by FMercuryLove »

Brookton wrote:Hi FMercuryLove,

I did History at GCSE last year, I know how you feel!
SO many facts and figures I found it hard to remember it all!

Try googling WW1 history revision, schools history website is quite good and the BBC has some good resources too.

Good Luck! :D

Brookton
Thank you!!
This isn't even GCSE haha, this is just a random Year 9 test, but to be honest, I have no idea about history.
Mighty_Modders
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Mighty_Modders »

Ah man, thats going back.

Treaty of Versailles...
-Made after WW1 between the allied countries. Harsh on Germany as punishment, eg - restricted their military, forced them to pay reparations to the allies (these were so great that post war germany couldnt afford to pay back - cause of later economic depression), took the Rhineland (important industrial area) and other territories
-War guilt clause - Germany had to accept the blame for the war
-UK/USA wanted to be less harsh on Germany, but countries such as France who had lost more during the war (more battles happened there) wanted to be strict on Germany to stop them ever having enough power to be a threat again
-USA wanted to maintain good relationships - good for trade in europe, so didnt want to treat germany too badly.
-League of Nations was formed, aims to prevent future world wars.
-Germany was not allowed to take part in these negotiations - thought they were being treated badly. This led to great resentment which was used by Adolf Hitler to take power

Hope thats of some help. Been a while since I did WWI, so its pretty basic. I'll see if my memory gets jogged about anything else {thumb2}
FMercuryLove
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by FMercuryLove »

Mighty_Modders wrote:Ah man, thats going back.

Treaty of Versailles...
-Made after WW1 between the allied countries. Harsh on Germany as punishment, eg - restricted their military, forced them to pay reparations to the allies (these were so great that post war germany couldnt afford to pay back - cause of later economic depression), took the Rhineland (important industrial area) and other territories
-War guilt clause - Germany had to accept the blame for the war
-UK/USA wanted to be less harsh on Germany, but countries such as France who had lost more during the war (more battles happened there) wanted to be strict on Germany to stop them ever having enough power to be a threat again
-USA wanted to maintain good relationships - good for trade in europe, so didnt want to treat germany too badly.
-League of Nations was formed, aims to prevent future world wars.
-Germany was not allowed to take part in these negotiations - thought they were being treated badly. This led to great resentment which was used by Adolf Hitler to take power
Hope thats of some help. Been a while since I did WWI, so its pretty basic. I'll see if my memory gets jogged about anything else {thumb2}
Thank you that really helps!
x
qwertyuiop
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by qwertyuiop »

I'm studying it, and spent the weekend going round the graves :D. Year 9 exams don't really matter if you're not taking the subject.

Basically, WWI started when Franz Ferdinand got killed by a Serbian (not sure of the date). There were two alliances, Britain was in one, and Germany was in the other. Britain teamed up with France and the Ottoman Empire, and I'm not sure of who Germany was with, we learned this in September lol.
The treaty of Versailles was a way of getting Germany to pay back for their actions at the end of WWI. They had to pay £6.6 million (might be $), give away land to France and other countries, they had to limit their army (their navy had something like 6 ships left, Britain destroyed these, had to take 100% responsibility for everything in the war and they could only have enough soldiers to defend them, somewhere around 100,000)
The leaders were Woodrow Wilson (USA) George Clemenceau (France) and David Lloyd George.

That's it off the top of my head lol, you might want to check out dates involved.
If you want anything else explained, feel free to ask. I studied most of this before Christmas so I might not know a bit of stuff
Qwerty 8)
FMercuryLove
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by FMercuryLove »

qwertyuiop wrote:I'm studying it, and spent the weekend going round the graves :D. Year 9 exams don't really matter if you're not taking the subject.

Basically, WWI started when Franz Ferdinand got killed by a Serbian (not sure of the date). There were two alliances, Britain was in one, and Germany was in the other. Britain teamed up with France and the Ottoman Empire, and I'm not sure of who Germany was with, we learned this in September lol.
The treaty of Versailles was a way of getting Germany to pay back for their actions at the end of WWI. They had to pay £6.6 million (might be $), give away land to France and other countries, they had to limit their army (their navy had something like 6 ships left, Britain destroyed these, had to take 100% responsibility for everything in the war and they could only have enough soldiers to defend them, somewhere around 100,000)
The leaders were Woodrow Wilson (USA) George Clemenceau (France) and David Lloyd George.

That's it off the top of my head lol, you might want to check out dates involved.
If you want anything else explained, feel free to ask. I studied most of this before Christmas so I might not know a bit of stuff
Qwerty 8)
Thank you! That is true that they're not important...but seriously. My history results turn out shocking - it's only history I do bad in! All the other subjects are fine! Did WW1 stop because American troops joined British, so Germany surrendered? Or is that just what I imagined to happen?
:razz: x
jasonw
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jasonw »

So Fanmail's turning into a revision forum now :lol:

Fanmail.biz/revision

What next?
FMercuryLove
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by FMercuryLove »

jasonw wrote:So Fanmail's turning into a revision forum now :lol:

Fanmail.biz/revision

What next?
heeeyy. it comes under 'general discussion', I believe this is pretty 'general'...to a point. =]
x
qwertyuiop
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by qwertyuiop »

FMercuryLove wrote: Thank you! That is true that they're not important...but seriously. My history results turn out shocking - it's only history I do bad in! All the other subjects are fine! Did WW1 stop because American troops joined British, so Germany surrendered? Or is that just what I imagined to happen?
:razz: x
I'm not sure about that, think that Germany surrendered because they couldn't afford it anymore, I fell asleep in the lesson we learned this lol.