Many many more autographs for my charity auction...

Tell us about your own charity collection, or ask for advice from our charity experts.
dragon_star
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Many many more autographs for my charity auction...

Post by dragon_star »

ducklover101 wrote:
kittypuss wrote:
ducklover101 wrote:I know it's bidding and I know that the highest bidder gets it but what I don't know is how much the first bid is. Does it start at 1 cent or anything else?
Hi,
I think I will probably be setting a minimum bid of £5 per photo on the night but not confirmed at this time. Hope that helps :-)

I live in America and I don't know how to incorperate American money into Euros. Could you tell me how much 5 Euros is in American money? Thanks! :razz:

Hi..She said £5 which is 5 UK pounds, not Euros :)
Favourite TTM - Richard O'Brien

Favourite in Person - Vicki Michelle

Favourite Autograph - John Fiedler
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

ducklover101 wrote:I live in America and I don't know how to incorperate American money into Euros. Could you tell me how much 5 Euros is in American money? Thanks! :razz:
5 UK pounds is roughly $7.00 per signed photo in US money. {up} Here's the currency convertor I use, It's free and very accurate. {up}

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

RYAN J. 8)
dragon_star
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by dragon_star »

RYAN J. wrote:
ducklover101 wrote:I live in America and I don't know how to incorperate American money into Euros. Could you tell me how much 5 Euros is in American money? Thanks! :razz:
5 UK pounds is roughly $7.00 per signed photo in US money. {up} Here's the currency convertor I use, It's free and very accurate. {up}

RYAN J. 8)

Haha thats the site i just went on to try and find out :mrgreen:
Favourite TTM - Richard O'Brien

Favourite in Person - Vicki Michelle

Favourite Autograph - John Fiedler
guilder1st
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by guilder1st »

Just to clarify a few things.

There is no rule that says opinions about authenticity can not be posted. Usually with ttm/vv feedback, ignorance is bliss. So most people will only comment on authenticity if asked.
However when items are being posted for sale it's the job of the autograph experts and/or other knowledgeable members to check for fakes. A lot of members on this forum have years of experience collecting/comparing autographs, and they can definitely spot the difference between say an authentic Angelina Jolie or a fake.

Why someone would give you fake autographs for your charity auction? Who knows, people do all kinds of weird and/or crazy things these days.
But since you don't want to deliberately con people like you say, and you probably don't have enough experience to authenticate these items your self, I would recommend posting these items in the: Is my autograph authentic? part of this forum, I'm sure people will be happy to help out. Or you can find another forum/person/company to help you out.

And I moved this to the correct section of the forum for you, as there is a special area for Charity Auctions.
HappinessStan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by HappinessStan »

I applaud wholeheartedly the work you put in for your charity auctions, and genuinely wish you well with this auction and any more you organise in future.

I really can't stress that enough before I offer my opinion, which you have tacitly invited by posting this in a public forum.

Most people here respect the rules about commenting on authenticity, but IMHO your original post strayed some way from the spirit in which a twelve-year-old boy or girl shows off their TTM from a Huge Hollywood Film Star believing it to be genuine; I would argue that it headed quite a long way towards using the forum as promotion for your auction (which being for a good cause I don't personally have any issues with that either).

I am trying to think of a tactful way of saying that asking people to bid on something which you have even the vaguest suspicion may not be genuine, and have in your posts above actively discouraged opinions being given on authenticity by people you know to understand what they are talking about, could be seen as throwing yourself open to all sorts of bother.

I found this article on The Guardian website
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/feb/1 ... .celebrity
and I believe that the law applies regardless of whether or not you as the seller donate the final proceeds to charity.

Furthermore, if I were associated in any managerial capacity with the venue where you are holding your auction and read some of the comments you've made above, I think that I would definitely have some quite firm views on whether or not I wished my premises to be used to sell items over which the seller appeared to openly deny any responsibility for verifying their authenticity.

I'm sorry if this post causes offence, it is not intended to do so.
ducklover101
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by ducklover101 »

RYAN J. wrote:

RYAN J. 8)
Thanks Ryan. :) I really appreciate it. Maybe I'll bid, maybe not. It's for a good cause so I probably will.
I can not post pictures of my successes or failures. I do not have a scanner.
Jaffer
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Jaffer »

guilder1st wrote:Just to clarify a few things.

There is no rule that says opinions about authenticity can not be posted. Usually with ttm/vv feedback, ignorance is bliss. So most people will only comment on authenticity if asked.
However when items are being posted for sale it's the job of the autograph experts and/or other knowledgeable members to check for fakes. A lot of members on this forum have years of experience collecting/comparing autographs, and they can definitely spot the difference between say an authentic Angelina Jolie or a fake.
will be happy to help out. Or you can find another forum/person/company to help you out.

Just to clarify, there is in fact a rule about authenticity commenting in the ttm section. It is something like "it is up to the discretion of the original poster", meaning without their say so, you are not allowed to comment.
However, that only applies to the feedback section. If you are selling, then OF COURSE there has to be comments about authenticity.
Best successes: Gal Gadot, Jennifer Lawrence, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Rachel McAdams

Best Responses: Freida Pinto, Gemma Arterton, Berenice Marlohe, Jeremy Renner

Recent successes: Connie Nielsen, Ursula Corbero, Daniela Melchior, Kate Beckinsale, Amber Heard
kittypuss
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by kittypuss »

Furthermore, if I were associated in any managerial capacity with the venue where you are holding your auction and read some of the comments you've made above, I think that I would definitely have some quite firm views on whether or not I wished my premises to be used to sell items over which the seller appeared to openly deny any responsibility for verifying their authenticity.
The thing is I can not guarentee authenticity because I can not prove either way. I contacted many professional authorised autograph companies on the Internet asking them to help me out and no one responded. Therefore the only way I can take responsibility for the authenticity us by trusting the source if the autograph.
I dont understand why some one would send a fake for a charity auction.

I agree I was wrong last night to ask for people not to comment, I think I took offence that the implication someone I trusted might have fooled me.
I will now be posting all my autographs in the real or fake section of the forum. Any that get an overwhelming response of bring fake will not be sold.

I would not intentionally want to con people, I just want to do the best for the charity. It appears my willingness to trust soneobes generousity might have been nieive.

I appreciate everyones help and comments
guilder1st
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by guilder1st »

Jaffer wrote:

will be happy to help out. Or you can find another forum/person/company to help you out.

Just to clarify, there is in fact a rule about authenticity commenting in the ttm section. It is something like "it is up to the discretion of the original poster", meaning without their say so, you are not allowed to comment.
However, that only applies to the feedback section. If you are selling, then OF COURSE there has to be comments about authenticity.
Love to see where those rules are posted, as I looked for them but couldn't find it. I might have overlooked it.
As I recall it's kind of an unspoken 'rule' to let people enjoy their success without people yelling it's fake/ap/pp in the feedback section of the forum.
Jaffer
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Jaffer »

guilder1st wrote:
Jaffer wrote:

Love to see where those rules are posted, as I looked for them but couldn't find it. I might have overlooked it.
As I recall it's kind of an unspoken 'rule' to let people enjoy their success without people yelling it's fake/ap/pp in the feedback section of the forum.
That is what I presumed too, the "unspoken rule' thing, but I actually saw with my own eyes in the rules!

Btw, can anyone verify the Cameron Diaz auto? It is hard to tell, as it simply looks like a bunch of scribble haha.
Best successes: Gal Gadot, Jennifer Lawrence, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Rachel McAdams

Best Responses: Freida Pinto, Gemma Arterton, Berenice Marlohe, Jeremy Renner

Recent successes: Connie Nielsen, Ursula Corbero, Daniela Melchior, Kate Beckinsale, Amber Heard