Finding autographs at Thrift Shops...yes, it does happen!!

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
Ink&Bones
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Finding autographs at Thrift Shops...yes, it does happen

Post by Ink&Bones »

Politician wrote:In one day, I decided to search through a bunch of books at around 5 thrift stores, and found the following signed books:

Koop by C. Everett Koop.
Code to Zero by Ken Follett (first edition too!).
Perfect Enough by George Anders.
The Pursuit of Happyness by Chris Gardner.

And one or two more. It was a great day.
Good finds! :D
Last IP: Author Hilari Bell-Sept. 17, 2010
Favorite TTM Autographs: Pawn Stars Cast, George W. Bush, George H.W. Bush, Brett Rickaby, Lance Burton, Charlie Daniels, Oddities Cast, R.L. Stine, George Lopez, Dennis Quaid, John Carpenter, Amazing Kreskin, Dame Judi Dench, Casting Crowns, Justin Bieber, George Hardy, Electric Prunes, Robert LaSardo, Ozzy Osbourne, Jack Ketchum, Adrian Raeside, Brian Crane, Amon Amarth, Laura Bush, Daniel Tosh, Ted Alderman, Michael Phelps, Jay Leno, Judge Judy, Herb Alpert, Inna, 311, Larry Zerner, Wilco and Sylvia Lewis

Check out my new Autograph website: http://sydsautographs.webs.com/
Join my site NOW and be entered to win FOUR Authentic Autographs!! Drawing is on 1/30/11 at 5pm!!
echoamaru
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by echoamaru »

I've had the same myself - not at charity shops (I belive the UK equivalent of a thift shop?), but at a couple of other places... I worked in a newsagents that often sold 'bargain buckets' of the same item - I found a signed copy of 'Pendragon' by Stephen Lawhead one that I got for 50p! At a discount bookshop I managed to bag a copy of 'Red Seas and Red Skies' signed by new author Scott Lynch for £1

Will certainly start having a leaf through the charity shop books when I go to make a donation... :D

Echo
Ink&Bones
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Ink&Bones »

echoamaru wrote:I've had the same myself - not at charity shops (I belive the UK equivalent of a thift shop?), but at a couple of other places... I worked in a newsagents that often sold 'bargain buckets' of the same item - I found a signed copy of 'Pendragon' by Stephen Lawhead one that I got for 50p! At a discount bookshop I managed to bag a copy of 'Red Seas and Red Skies' signed by new author Scott Lynch for £1

Will certainly start having a leaf through the charity shop books when I go to make a donation... :D

Echo
AWESOME, Echo! Keep searching! {up}
Favorite TTM Autographs: Pawn Stars Cast, George W. Bush, George H.W. Bush, Brett Rickaby, Lance Burton, Charlie Daniels, Oddities Cast, R.L. Stine, George Lopez, Dennis Quaid, John Carpenter, Amazing Kreskin, Dame Judi Dench, Casting Crowns, Justin Bieber, George Hardy, Electric Prunes, Robert LaSardo, Ozzy Osbourne, Jack Ketchum, Adrian Raeside, Brian Crane, Amon Amarth, Laura Bush, Daniel Tosh, Ted Alderman, Michael Phelps, Jay Leno, Judge Judy, Herb Alpert, Inna, 311, Larry Zerner, Wilco and Sylvia Lewis

Join my site NOW and be entered to win FOUR Authentic Autographs!! Drawing is on 1/30/11 at 5pm!!
Ink&Bones
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Ink&Bones »

Ok, so I went to our local Goodwill today and found a few things. The first is 'The Doles: Unlimited Partners', possibly autographed by Senator Bob Dole:
Everything looks good about the "autograph", except the inscription "With Best Wishes", which is broken up along the bottom. So he either wrote it with a piece of paper underneath, or the inscription is a stamp? What do you guys think?

And then, I found this children's book, 'Ghosts of the White House', written and illustrated by Cheryl Harness. Cheryl is the author and illustrator of over 40 children's books. I first found one copy signed by her, then, after looking around a bit, found another one autographed by her, this one inscribed "...signed this very book for Abbey Zecka(I think) Spring 2005". If anyone is interested in one of these, it's for sale or trade. Highly unusual to find two copies of the same book signed for sale at the same store!

vjw0307
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by vjw0307 »

I've got to start doing this...
Will Bozarth
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Will Bozarth »

At a Goodwill, I've found:

signed book by Dr. Phil. $1
signed record by some Jamaican Calypso group. 80 cents

at a yardsale, I found a signed book by THE Patch Adams. 25 cents.
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

Whoot! Found a signed Autobiography of Cloris Leachman today at our local rummage sale! :D only cost $1.50! :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=189485&p=825159#p825159

RYAN J. 8)
Ink&Bones
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Ink&Bones »

Another wonderful trip to the local Goodwill happened yesterday, and this trip is /was my best.....EVER!! I'll start with the stuff I found before I hit the jackpot:
Pig Cookies signed by the author, Alberto Rios. Alberto is a teacher at Arizona State University and has published 9 books.
How To Be A Hollywood Superstar, signed by the writer, Barry Dutter. Barry is the author of two books,and also writes comic books.
Nevada-A History, part of the States and the Nation book series, signed by the author, Robert Laxalt. Robert was a writer of many books, two of which were nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. He died in 2001.
We Weren't Poor-We Just Didn't Have Any Money, signed by the author, Carl Hurley. Carl was a professor at Eastern Kentucky University until 1982, at which time he resigned to be a full time speaker and entertainer. He is known as "America's Funniest Professor". He still tours today.

And then, I hit the jackpot.................
A Book, signed and inscribed by author and actor, Desi Arnaz. Famed actor who played Ricky Ricardo on I Love Lucy. He died of lung cancer in 1986. He has TWO stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!! Imagine my jaw dropping to the floor when I found this. And I paid only $1.99!!!!!!!

vjw0307
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by vjw0307 »

If that is a legit Desi sig, its worth quite a bit! Nice find!
Tabby
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Tabby »

Wow that last one is amazing. That's something to treasure. I still haven't been this lucky. I go to the local Goodwill here about once a week, hoping I'll find a signed book. Nothing yet.
I mainly collect voice actor and Disney related autographs-Any questions with Disney successes/addresses? Feel free to PM me!