Is an A5 envelope ok to send to celebs?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
ScottishDan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Is an A5 envelope ok to send to celebs?

Post by ScottishDan »

I am quite knew to all this but i have recently sent around 20 A5 envelopes to celebrities. Is this a good size of envelope to send? thanks for the help.
RYAN J.

Re: Is an A5 envelope ok to send to celebs?

Post by RYAN J. »

Yes, those are a good size, most celebs send out 8x10 photos, but they also have smaller sizes depending on the SASE provided by the fan. {up}

RYAN J. 8)
dfreely
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by dfreely »

Generally speaking, you'll want an envelope that's at least an A4, though obviously, it can depend on who you're sending to. I have noticed though, that celebrities here in NA seem to favor the 8x10, while ones in UK seem to favor the 5x7. This is from my own returns though and may not be a good generalization.
Icena
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Icena »

dfreely wrote:Generally speaking, you'll want an envelope that's at least an A4, though obviously, it can depend on who you're sending to. I have noticed though, that celebrities here in NA seem to favor the 8x10, while ones in UK seem to favor the 5x7. This is from my own returns though and may not be a good generalization.
No, I totally agree with that. Most photos that are sent out over here are 6x4 in size. That's why I try and send my own larger photos {up}
R.I.P Jeremy Brett, The Only Sherlock Holmes I've Ever Known.
HappinessStan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by HappinessStan »

I'd agree with all of the above, in my experience also the pictures that UK celebs send tend to be 6x4. I think that in the US 10x8s are more common.

Don't do what I did when I started collecting ttm in the UK and got caught out sending slightly larger than C5 envelopes with a small 1st or 2nd class stamp, they all come back with Royal Mail surcharges on :-(

A C5 envelope will hold an 8x6 photo, a letter and a piece of card from a thin cardboard box and still be thin enough to go with "small" stamps on. If you haven't got one already, Staples sell a plastic thingy with little letterbox cutouts to check the width of mail, which is really, really handy.

I usually send them with "small" stamps on, but put a 2nd class large letter stamp on the return envelope, just in case anyone I've written to goes OTT and fills the envelope with other items as well (I wondered when I began if this was presumptious, but have had some back with surprise bonus items. I've also received a few where the person I've written to has sent their own 10x8 and used their own envelope, usually returning the SAE with it, which seems quite beyond the call of duty).

Nothing quite like coming home to find that someone you admire has taken the time to send a squiggle back :-)
ScottishDan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by ScottishDan »

Ok here's two more questions for you guys:

1. Do you have to send a photograph along with you SAE and If so where can you get them?

2. Will a 2nd class stamp (british) be ok to send an a4 envelope to a british address?
HappinessStan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by HappinessStan »

1. Do you have to send a photograph along with you SAE and If so where can you get them?
You don't have to, but if they haven't got any of their own to hand it will give them something to sign and send back. It also gives you a choice of picture, which is handy if there's a particular one you like. They can always send their own instead, or as well, which some do.

I always send a pic, unless I know that they send their own (look at the feedback on here, it'll soon give you an idea of signing habits).

Google images is your friend (look for large images and crop to the right ratio using a picture editing package - otherwise the printed results can end up a bit strange). I get them printed at a very large supermarket chain, beginning with T. If there are any copyright marks on the pictures you're using, either remove them or use a different picture. I upload them through their website and pick them up a few hours later.

A simple rule of thumb I find useful: if I'm getting 10x8s printed, resize the picture and look at the finished result at about 1000 x 800 pixels at a ratio of 1:1 and ask if it looks good at that size and resolution. The same works for 8x6 resized to 800x600, 7x5 resized to 700x500 etc. If it doesn't then find another picture, or stick a great big border on, because if it looks grainy and pixellated the end result will be rubbish.
2. Will a 2nd class stamp (british) be ok to send an a4 envelope to a british address?
A large letter 2nd class stamp will do it, as long as it weighs less than 100g.