Longpen? uhoh

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
Will Bozarth
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Longpen? uhoh

Post by Will Bozarth »

This is the first I've heard of this, and apparently the articles are 3 years old at this point.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/books/story/2007 ... trial.html

Celebrities set to reach for Atwood's LongPen
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | 4:54 PM ET
CBC Arts

The LongPen, a device invented by Canadian writer Margaret Atwood that has the potential to become a favourite tool for authors and other celebrities, will undergo a trial run this fall.

The device, comprising a video screen and digital writing pad at one location and a video screen and automated pen at another, allows authors, sports heroes, movie stars and other celebrities to sign autographs without leaving home.

The LongPen, invented by Margaret Atwood, involves a video screen and automated pen.The LongPen, invented by Margaret Atwood, involves a video screen and automated pen.
(Canadian Press)

In recent days, it's been tested at the Edinburgh International Book Festival, with U.S. author Norman Mailer and Ontario writer Alice Munro using it to sign copies of their work without having to travel to the site.

This fall, kiosks featuring the LongPen will be set up at the World's Biggest Bookstore and the HMV flagship store in Toronto, Barnes & Noble in New York and Waterstone's in London.

Bruce Walsh, a spokesman for Atwood's Toronto company, Unotchit, which is building the pens, says all kinds of celebrities might be interested in the device.

"You could potentially see the talent in their dressing room, somewhere, and they could actually sign into a bookstore," Walsh said.

"It doesn't really matter. If there's a kiosk set up, you can sign all kinds of different kinds of talent into wherever the kiosk happens to be."

Celebrities who hate unnecessary travel because of its impact on the environment may be a big market for the device, according to tech observer Richard Worzel of Toronto.

"[The LongPen] could be assisted by the public's desire to be carbon neutral," Worzel said, noting interest by stars such as Leonardo DiCaprio, Cameron Diaz and the Barenaked Ladies.

"If you're having a film festival and Julia Roberts can't come … but she's willing to help promote the movie by signing autographs, great idea. She can stay in Hollywood and people here in Toronto can talk to her and get her to sign an autograph and so on."
With files from the Canadian Press

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/books/story/2007 ... z0eOx1yazw
mufcdd
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Longpen? uhoh

Post by mufcdd »

Yeah there are several threads on this over the last couple year, the thing is horrible and will ruin a lot of stuff.
CLICK BELOW TO SEE MY TWITTER PAGE! OVER 10,000 FOLLOWERS!
Jaffer
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Jaffer »

Mmmm sounds ghastly. But it is also dated three years ag, and nothing seems to have come of it. Also, it sounds un nessicaerily expensive.
On a side note, no wonder Cameron Diaz is interested in it, I heard she really hates fans lol :roll:
Best successes: Gal Gadot, Jennifer Lawrence, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Rachel McAdams

Best Responses: Freida Pinto, Gemma Arterton, Berenice Marlohe, Jeremy Renner

Recent successes: Connie Nielsen, Ursula Corbero, Daniela Melchior, Kate Beckinsale, Amber Heard
dobie516

Post by dobie516 »

So, is something signed like this authentic because the star actually made the motions to sign the item even though they didn't actually hold the pen??? A new can of worms has been opened....
Over 9,000 requests sent since 1986.
mufcdd
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by mufcdd »

dobie516 wrote:So, is something signed like this authentic because the star actually made the motions to sign the item even though they didn't actually hold the pen??? A new can of worms has been opened....
For me, its not. Unless the person holds the pen directly then to me its no better than autopen and the rest...
CLICK BELOW TO SEE MY TWITTER PAGE! OVER 10,000 FOLLOWERS!
Will Bozarth
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Will Bozarth »

eh... well, it's more authentic than an autopen. I doubt this machine will be able to duplicate pen pressure and such, but it's still a one-of-a-kind signature. I still wouldn't chalk it up under "authentic success", though, since the star didn't handle my item personally.
ElX
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by ElX »

Hmm.... That dosn't sound great,but beter than PP or AP i guess!
Favorite Autographs:Randy Orton!, John Cena!, Mark Salling, Christian Kane, One Direction, Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki, Keegan Allen, Kevin Mchale, Riley Smith, JLS, Olly Murs....

Most Wanted: Taylor Swift, Naya Rivera, Lucy Hale, Ashley Benson, Shay Mitchell, Troian Bellisario, Ian Harding, Home and Away cast

Met One Direction!!!! TWICE!!!! :D Wooooooooo <3
pinkie
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by pinkie »

As far as I know, Waterstones Piccadilly is still the only UK based book shop with a longpen machine.

I remember when Waterstones launched their machine with a Dean Kootz long distance signing in 2007. They had the cheek to sell long pen signed copies in their shop as Signed By The Author following this. I think Conrad Black was the last one they did and that was a while back now. I am still wary of buying signed books from international authors on the book shelves at Waterstones as a result.

The good news is that it does not seem to be doing as well as expected. Their past events page is not very active past 2008. Fingers crossed this is a true reflection of it's usage.

http://www.longpen.com/past.html

Bottom line, it is not a hand signed signature. By definition, an autograph is a handsigned piece of work by the person concerned, not signed by any type of machine. I have zero interest in anything that is not handsigned by the people I collect autographs from. It will always baffle me why anyone would want something that is not real.