problems with VV

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
mosshead1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

problems with VV

Post by mosshead1 »

I am pretty sure this isnt the place to post this,But.. I have never had a VV success!! I have sent SASE,pics and letters to Heart (Nokia LA live!),Mariah Carey (Fox theatre in Atlanta Even emailed them,Got a response they said they would pass on),Miley Cyrus X2 Philips arena in Atlanta and England),Belinda Carlisle(England on the set of Hairspray),and Kelly Clarkson Columbus,GA civic center).All with no success,Never even got an RTS Just nothing!! You guys let me know what I am doing wrong!! i send a nice letter with pics and SASE all they have to do is sign and stuff!!
Michael Moss
noodlez
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: problems with VV

Post by noodlez »

How many days/weeks before the actual concert did you send your requests?
ImageImageImageImage
most wanted: RICHARD GERE, Ed Helms and Jon Stewart (all personalized {??} )
most proud of: {??} {??} DYLAN WALSH {??} {??} CLAY AIKEN {??} {??} ANDERSON COOPER {??} {??}
countrygal23
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by countrygal23 »

i no! I have done other VV and nothing back. i did it like 4-5 days before the concerts!
~~~~~~Thanks Seb88 for my WONDERFUL siggy and crisabell for my AMAZING set!~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! im back and ready to start helping out!
smackedsillyxxx
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by smackedsillyxxx »

should send it 10 days before the concert
jrott
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jrott »

smackedsillyxxx wrote:should send it 10 days before the concert
Thats a long time you are asking the venue to hold the mail. Best bet is IMO is having the venue recieve your mail no more then 4 days prior to the show.

I also have not had much success VV although I did get Heart, Oasis and Smokie Robinson this way. I only send VV when I feel I have no other avenue to get the artist. The failure to reward does not seem to be in your favor so its always my last resort.

Someone wrote a great post about VV (this post should have been pined) Really good insight
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=158538
annie985

Post by annie985 »

Hi mosshead1,

It all depends on the artist and if the venue passes along fanmail. Sometimes artists won't sign all the items at the venue, sometimes they wait until the end of their tour, and sometimes they just don't sign. I know it seems easy to just "sign and stuff," but remember they get tons of letters just like yours all the time. I've worked at venues and saw that fanmail has been handed off to the tour manager, but after that it's out of the venues hands. So, yes, some venues do pass along fanmail but it doesn't always guarantee you'll get a response. Patience is very important in collecting autographs. If you send out a request, most likely you're not going to get a response in a week or two. It can take months, maybe even years for some collectors to get responses. I've had to wait 8 - 12 months to get responses before. A good rule of thumb is to just send something out and forget about it.

As for what you're doing wrong...if you're addressing the envelope properly, sending in plenty of time to the venue (and making sure the venue passes along fanmail) and including a properly stamped SASE or IRC's, then you're doing everything right.

Hope that helps!

~Annie :)
Autograph Collector since 2008
Favorite Autos: Raynor Arkenbout, John-Paul Lavoisier, Thore Scholerman, Marnie Schulenburg, Christian Bale, Mary Tyler Moore
notcarlysimon
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by notcarlysimon »

i agree with the send it off and forget it, dont wait for them to come back, theyre a shot in the dark and if it happens a pleasant surprise :D
mosshead1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by mosshead1 »

Thanks for all the feedback!! I think perhaps I sent the stuff off WAY too far in advance.I think I sent the Mariah Carey SASE 3 weeks early!! I know too early right?? But the Belinda Carlisle SASE I sent to a stage show for "Hairspray" in the UK..And I saw a couple of successes on here already!! Just frustrated I suppose..You are all right though mail it and forget it!!
Michael Moss
bbgood39
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by bbgood39 »

Hmm... that's weird! I sent to David Archuleta once, two weeks before the show, and I still got a response.
Current Autographs: Hilary Duff (x4) IP, Hilary Duff (x2) PP, Stan Curtis IP (x2), Aria Wallace IP, Aria Wallace AUTH, Aria Wallace PP, Tim Deegan IP, Olesya Rulin IP (x2), SYTYCD Canada Judges IP, Savannah Outen AUTH (x2), Alexis Bledel SFM, Selena Gomez SFM, Selena Gomez AUTH (x2)Tanya Kim IP (x2), Leah Miller IP, Jasmine Richards IP (x2), Nick Spencer IP, Jacob Kraemer IP, Sally Taylor-Isherwood IP, Alyson Stoner IP (x2), Chelsea Staub AUTH, Katy Perry AUTH, Corbin Bleu AUTH (x2), WOW the Group IP, Alyssa Reid IP, Emily Osment IP (x2), Dakota Fanning AUTH (x2), Austin MacDonald IP, Austin MacDonald AUTH, Nicole Anderson AUTH (x3), Miley Cyrus AUTH, many more...
Favourite Autographs: Hilary Duff, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus (all authentic/IP)
Current Q&As: Nicole Anderson
IP = In Person / AUTH = Authentic / PP = Pre-Print / SFM = Studio Fan Mail
osiris
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by osiris »

mosshead1 wrote:Thanks for all the feedback!! I think perhaps I sent the stuff off WAY too far in advance.I think I sent the Mariah Carey SASE 3 weeks early!! I know too early right?? But the Belinda Carlisle SASE I sent to a stage show for "Hairspray" in the UK..And I saw a couple of successes on here already!! Just frustrated I suppose..You are all right though mail it and forget it!!
With the UK mail, what are you using for payment on your SASE?
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Favourite: David Tennant IP, John Barrowman IP, Patrick Stewart IP, Catherine Tate VV.
Newest: John Simm IP, Suranne Jones IP, Jonathan Groff IP.