Drinking Age...?

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other Fanmail.biz users.
New Fanmail.biz Users: Introduce Yourself Here! 8)

What should happen to the drinking age?

You may select 1 option

View results

Capt. Chaos
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Drinking Age...?

Post by Capt. Chaos »

18 was the drinking age back in my day. Raising it to 21 was ridiculous however if they want to keep it at 21 there should be a law in place that if your in the military you should be allowed to drink regardless of your age. You can fight and die for your country but can't have a beer. :roll:
http://www.freewebs.com/military-historical

"You can't fix stupid"
Ron White
DwightKSchrute

Post by DwightKSchrute »

Yeah, I realize that most people don't pay attention to the drinking age, but that doesn't mean we should encourage drinking at a lower age.
glücklich wrote:It should go down.
Think about it. You're allowed to drive a car at 16 (with an adult at 15) and you could very well get in an accident and kill not only yourself but others involved in the accident.
You're allowed to shoot a gun at 12 once you undergo "Hunters Safety" and, come on a gun at 12? Yet you're not allowed to put a liquid into your body at 18? You can put a permanent tattoo on your body, you can alter it with all the piercings you want, you can watch whatever you want, you can smoke, but you can't drink?
Having something so restricted just makes people want it more. If it was more casual then it wouldn't be such a big deal to drink.
glücklich -- I realize that there are a lot of things that you can do, but drinking is different. Drinking causes people to become irrational and sometimes dangerous. Smoking a cigarette or putting a tattoo on you won't do that.
Shambler wrote:People should be allowed to drink at whatever age they like. If you're stupid enough to willingly want to harm your body, you'll remain that stupid no matter your age!
Shambler -- Wow...I don't even know where to begin. Like I said before, it isn't a matter of stupidity. It's a matter of maturity. People become more mature with age.
Classikmetal
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Classikmetal »

Well...whatever the drinking age is or should be, it's never going to be obeyed legally. I doubt there is one teen out there who is going to WAIT like a good little girl/boy until he/she meets the drinking age requirements. :lol: But really...that's what I think...
Mr Kennedy

Post by Mr Kennedy »

DwightKSchrute wrote: When you first turn 18, you're excited and immature and ready to party.
LOL yeah, only happens when you turn 18 :lol:

BTW, when do you "first" turn 18? Surely you only tuen 18 once?
qwertyuiop
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by qwertyuiop »

Classikmetal2008 wrote:Well...whatever the drinking age is or should be, it's never going to be obeyed legally. I doubt there is one teen out there who is going to WAIT like a good little girl/boy until he/she meets the drinking age requirements. :lol: But really...that's what I think...
I know of one :lol:

I think the drinking age is 18 in England. I can see not getting served at a pub because the public don't want 12 year olds going round drunk, but if someones with family/adults then it's fair to let a kid have a drink or five in a resturant.
Favourite successes: Paramore, New Found Glory, Death Cab For Cutie
Shambler
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Shambler »

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for drinkers/smokers/drug addicts. And most people do not mature, there are 25 year olds, 32 year olds, etc, who remain thinking that drinking alcohol is a 'cool' thing to do. It's only cool if you're a sheep who follows the rest of the flock. Reav, you can't be intelligent if you willingly harm your health, that's a joke :lol: that's like saying terrorists are the most morally correct persons on earth.
AUTHENTIC, OR NOTHING AT ALL.
LATEST SUCCESSES : Liam Lawrence, Ashley Young, Daniel Agger
Reav
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Reav »

Shambler wrote:Reav, you can't be intelligent if you willingly harm your health, that's a joke :lol: that's like saying terrorists are the most morally correct persons on earth.
You may not accept it and call me stupid but as a matter of fact there are many brilliant people that willingly drink alcohol (or even worse). Scientists, university professors, world-known writers and artists... I consider myself being quite intelligent (doing what I do) and I still like to party once in a while.

But please, by all means, stay in your imaginary land and think that everyone drinking alcohol is stupid.
qwertyuiop
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by qwertyuiop »

It could be seen as stupid, but it can also be seen as very funny
Favourite successes: Paramore, New Found Glory, Death Cab For Cutie
Classikmetal
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Classikmetal »

qwertyuiop wrote:It could be seen as stupid, but it can also be seen as very funny
...don't forget sad. People waste their lives away with alcohol...right down to the scum of the earth.
Shambler
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Shambler »

Reav - just to clear it up, I am not attacking or insulting you as a person. My comments are made 'generally'. {up}

Yes, there are persons who drink, who are considered smart by way of their profession or how much they know. However, can you honestly tell me it is not a sheer act of stupidity when someone knowingly damages their health? Intelligence also entails the ability to think critically and challenge the acceptability of things, and to me, a hazardous/addictive drug like alcohol can never be deemed acceptable.

Just an opinion. :)
AUTHENTIC, OR NOTHING AT ALL.
LATEST SUCCESSES : Liam Lawrence, Ashley Young, Daniel Agger