Cardboard inserts - use? Don't use? Doesn't matter?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
cabridges
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Cardboard inserts - use? Don't use? Doesn't matter?

Post by cabridges »

When you send photos, do you stick anything inside the envelope to keep it flat? I've been including the cards you get in comic bags, but didn't know if there was a cheaper source for them (and they might even make it worse if the pic is bigger than they are).

Or, more to the point, have you noticed a big difference in the condition of pics you've received with inserts vs pics you've received without?
---------------------------------------------

C. A. Bridges
http://www.bashinginminds.com
BossC
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Cardboard inserts - use? Don't use? Doesn't matter?

Post by BossC »

In the US how much it costs to send depends on the weight and since I like keeping my cost down, I try not to put much stuff in the envelope.

If I send large photos (only done that a couple of times) I might add cardboard or cardstock since the post office has a habit of folding things, but if I am sending a 5X7 I usually don't.

Sometimes, the celebrity adds cardboard and I am grateful because I have gotten some photos with a big crease in them. It will eventually unbend but I can still tell it was bent.

My verdict: I don't send much cardboard in my envelopes but I also usually send small photos that DON'T get bent easily.

Hope this helped.

BossC
osiris
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Cardboard inserts - use? Don't use? Doesn't matter?

Post by osiris »

I've been putting cardboard in my envelopes since one of mine got ripped and bent. It doesnt effect my costs because the weight is still under the 2nd class stamps I use. I use recycled cardboard boxes that I get from work, so there's no extra cost. I've only ever had two problems... one or two people didnt include the cardboard on the return journey and once I got an autograph actually on the cardboard instead of my index card. ooops. haha.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Favourite: David Tennant IP, John Barrowman IP, Patrick Stewart IP, Catherine Tate VV.
Newest: John Simm IP, Suranne Jones IP, Jonathan Groff IP.