Copywrited Question

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
girlbehindthereddoor
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Copywrited Question

Post by girlbehindthereddoor »

How would I know if an image is copywrited and I couldn't print it?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage]Image
BrianS1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Copywrited Question

Post by BrianS1 »

Once you save the photo to your computer go to where its saved. Right click on the image, click Properties, Click Summary on the tabs on top, put it on advanced, then it should say in the first section called Image,It will show a sub section saying Copyright.
The best hobbie in the world.
My autographs
http://briansautograph.zymichost.com/
BossC
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by BossC »

Sometimes the company puts a logo on the photo--usually in the corner or on a side. I have also seen them use just a "(c)" and the place where I print them will refuse to print the image.

I didn't know about that part of properties, BrianS1, thanks for the tip! {up}

BossC
cabridges
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by cabridges »

That's not reliable, though, especially if someone has saved the original photo again in a graphics editor that doesn't support that meta information.

Technically, all photos are copyrighted. Some of them are created by the celebrity or studios especially for promotional use such as autographs or handouts, but even then you're not really permitted to print off your own copies (unless that photo was accompanied with a notice granting that permission).

However, it's extremely unlikely you'll have the police busting down your door for printing out photos from Google and getting them signed unless you start your own business and start selling them. Some celebs may have contractual restrictions regarding which photos they're allowed to sign, but most of them will sign whatever you put in front of them. I've never heard of any individual collectors running into problems. [NOTE: I am not a lawyer, don't use me as a defense :) ]

Short version: you can't tell unless it's spelled out for you, but it probably won't be a problem.
---------------------------------------------

C. A. Bridges
http://www.bashinginminds.com
BossC
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by BossC »

I have had popular stores refuse to print my photos if they have copywrited graphics on them. But I went to another store and they printed them and I haven't had a problem since. I guess it depends on the store's policy.

BossC
cabridges
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by cabridges »

Ooh, good point, I wasn't thinking of professional printers. I print my stuff out on my own printer.

Yeah, many of them have specific policies but those may also vary depending on who's working the desk that night. They generally won't copy anything clearly marked as copyrighted (or with a photographer stamp like Olan Mills or something) and some may balk at celebrity photos at all unless you took them yourself. It varies.
---------------------------------------------

C. A. Bridges
http://www.bashinginminds.com
Melindabear2002
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Melindabear2002 »

All images are copywrited all it means is that it belongs to someone. However if they don't want you to use them they will usually have someone in corner like I put in mine, that i've taken. But most of the time if you're not going to sell it, they won't mind.
My Autograph Collection, (If you want to ask how I got any graph please feel free to email me)
Melindabear2002
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Melindabear2002 »

BossC wrote:I have had popular stores refuse to print my photos if they have copywrited graphics on them. But I went to another store and they printed them and I haven't had a problem since. I guess it depends on the store's policy.

BossC
All stores are suppose to get a release if they are professionally done (whether they have a copyright mark or not) because even if they don't they can get sued. If however a person working in the store doesn't know that they'll do it. I've had problems with people telling me that they can't print my photos unless I show proof that I took them. So I just bought my own printer and do it from my lab now. Works better.
My Autograph Collection, (If you want to ask how I got any graph please feel free to email me)