A few questions

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
MileyQueen15
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

A few questions

Post by MileyQueen15 »

Ok, I'm starting an autograph collection and I'm so excited!!
I have some questions though.
Ok, what do I need to send them a letter?
And do I need to include an envelope for when they send it back?
I've seen so many success autographs.
Where do they get such good pictures of the people they're sending it to?
All I can find are pictures out of magazines?
Thanks in advance!!
[size=150][b]-?- Autograph Collector Since September of 2008 -?-

Waiting on: Miranda Cosgrove, Michael Phelps, Alyson Stoner, Connie Talbot, Selena Gomez, Tyra Banks, Ben Stiller, Miley Cyrus X2, The Cheetah Girls(VV), Aly & AJ, David Archuleta, Emma Roberts, Kristen Stewart.
Most Wanted: Steve Perry, Shirley Temple Black, Anna Popplewell, Miley Cyrus, Hayley Westenra, Shania Twain.
MileyQueen15
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: A few questions

Post by MileyQueen15 »

Can someone please anwser my questions?

Waiting on: Miranda Cosgrove, Michael Phelps, Alyson Stoner, Connie Talbot, Selena Gomez, Tyra Banks, Ben Stiller, Miley Cyrus X2, The Cheetah Girls(VV), Aly & AJ, David Archuleta, Emma Roberts, Kristen Stewart.
Most Wanted: Steve Perry, Shirley Temple Black, Anna Popplewell, Miley Cyrus, Hayley Westenra, Shania Twain.
margotchanning
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by margotchanning »

Ok, I'm starting an autograph collection and I'm so excited!!
I have some questions though.
Ok, what do I need to send them a letter? Send a nice, sincere letter
And do I need to include an envelope for when they send it back? Yes, send a self addressed, stamped envelope
I've seen so many success autographs.
Where do they get such good pictures of the people they're sending it to? Most people print their own images they find on the net but there are several photo sites you can order from. My favourite is moviemarket.com
All I can find are pictures out of magazines? Don't send these! They contain acid and will fade the autograph over time.
Thanks in advance!!

http://www.freewebs.com/caribbean-queen My Autograph Collection

http://www.youtube.com/imalittlemidget - Check out my singing on youtube!
MileyQueen15
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MileyQueen15 »

Thank you so much for your reply!
But, I'm only 13 and can't just buy tons of pictures of the internet.
Can't you just send a autograph request letter and they'll have a picture of themselves ready to autograph??
And what do you usually say in your letters??
BTW, want to be friends?

Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by 10900228 »

welcome! :)

Most celebrities will have there own pictures that they will send you so you don't really need to send your own. I like to send my own because I like getting to pick which picture they sign. Also, you can print photos for free, I do it all the time. I'm 16 so I just use my dads photo paper to print my photos on. Its free for me ;-) Anyway in my letters I tell the person I'm writing to my name, my age, why I admire them, and at the end ask them for an autograph. i usually write about a page.

Good luck {thumb2}
mharm2k6
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by mharm2k6 »

**Just to re-answer some of your questions (although they appear to be already cleared up):
Ok, what do I need to send them a letter? You just need to send a brief explaining how you are a fan of their work and that you'd like an autograph- basically just write it like any other letter, but try not to drag on too much.
And do I need to include an envelope for when they send it back? This is not necessary although it's a courtesy and can result in a higher rate of success (especially if sent Via Venue
Where do they get such good pictures of the people they're sending it to? Refer to sticky: http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/viewtopic ... 117&t=9998

But, I'm only 13 and can't just buy tons of pictures of the internet. Most of the people on here print the pictures themselves or get them professionally printed (Sticky: http://www.fanmail.biz/mboard/viewtopic ... 14&t=96509) which really isn't that expensive (~2.50USD). The only thing I will say about that is that it is technically illegal to print many images you find online- although I am one of the only people to be acknowledging this fact.
Can't you just send a autograph request letter and they'll have a picture of themselves ready to autograph?? some do, some don't- it can depend on the person and where they are or what they are doing. If you are sending Via Venue, it's better for you to send an item to be signed as they might not be carrying their photos with them. Also, there have been some celebrities known to sign stuff sent in authentically, but mail out Pre-prints or autopens if nothing is sent to be signed. There are also some celebrities that charge a small fee for them to sign items or send you one of their signed items. Also, you don't necessarily just have to get pictures signed, I've sent out quite a few index cards to be signed (cheap postage, and am able to professionally mount/frame them under a picture or other item).
And what do you usually say in your letters?? Not really able to answer this efficiently, as it varies from letter to letter.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me, just click the PM button or my signature bar (as they do the same exact thing). By the way, i apologize if the red is a little distracting as it was a color that seemed to stand out a lot.
MileyQueen15
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MileyQueen15 »

mharm2k6, thank you so much for anwsering my questions!!
Your anwsers really helped!!
Would it be alright if I added you as my buddy?

mharm2k6
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by mharm2k6 »

Sure, I usually jump on whenever I have some spare time and have fanmail.biz running in the backround so feel free to PM me or any one else any questions you may have.
-Matt "mharm2k6"
annie985

Post by annie985 »

Ok, what do I need to send them a letter?
You just need to send a nice letter stating why you like them/why they inspire you.

And do I need to include an envelope for when they send it back?
I've done both. I've sent a SASE and gotten responses and I haven't sent an SASE and gotten responses.

Where do they get such good pictures of the people they're sending it to?
I usually do a google image search and pick out the photo I like the best.
Autograph Collector since 2008
Favorite Autos: Raynor Arkenbout, John-Paul Lavoisier, Thore Scholerman, Marnie Schulenburg, Christian Bale, Mary Tyler Moore
qwertyuiop
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by qwertyuiop »

MileyQueen15 wrote:Thank you so much for your reply!
But, I'm only 13 and can't just buy tons of pictures of the internet.
Can't you just send a autograph request letter and they'll have a picture of themselves ready to autograph??
And what do you usually say in your letters??
BTW, want to be friends?
http://www.photobox.com

You can get free prints if you sign up. I have done so myself, some are excellent quality, some aren't. It's not the easiest to use site, but the photos are free. You just need to pay postage (£1.50 I think)
Favourite successes: Paramore, New Found Glory, Death Cab For Cutie