Sanford Moats Fighter Ace W W I I

Post your feedback about a celebrity address you have tested. Win a $10 Gift Certificate! How? Test an Address and Post your Feedback!
caappy
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Sanford Moats Fighter Ace W W I I

Post by caappy »

Lieutenant General Sanford Kenneth Moats (born December 4, 1921) is an American Air Force lieutenant general and fighter ace. He was vice commander of the Tactical Air Command, with headquarters at Langley Air Force Base, Virginia, responsible for maintaining peak combat efficiency in the tactical fighter and reconnaissance operations, and training air and ground crews as required for U.S. Air Forces in Europe and Pacific Air Forces.
Moats was born in 1921, in Kansas City, Missouri. He attended Kansas State College before entering the Army Air Corps as an aviation cadet. He completed pilot training and was commissioned a second lieutenant in December 1943.

Moats went to England in 1944 as a P-51 Mustang pilot. During his service in the European Theater of Operations, he flew 89 combat missions with a total of 367 combat hours and qualified as an ace. Moats participated in repelling the German Luftwaffe's Operation Bodenplatte.

In 1945 he was transferred to the Pacific area for duty with the U.S. Army Air Forces and returned later that year to Army Air Forces headquarters in Washington, D.C. In 1947 he again went overseas and was assigned to the 81st Fighter Wing at Wheeler Field, Hawaii. Following exchange duty in 1950 with the U.S. Marine Corps, he rejoined the 81st Fighter Wing at Royal Air Force Station Bentwaters, England, in 1951, as pilot, operations officer, and then commander of the 91st Fighter Squadron.

His military decorations and awards include the Distinguished Service Cross, Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, Air Medal with 11 oak leaf clusters.

Sent him 2 photos on 26 Feb and got them back signed on 13 Mar.. He also sent a small photo of his P-51 near a runway. He signed all photos S Moats.

LT Gen Sanford Moats
59-635 Akanoho PL
Haleiwa, HI 96712
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sanford Moats Fighter Ace W W I I

Post by admin »

Hi caappy :)

Thank you for your feedback {up}

Would you have a scan of the envelope and picture you received please?
If so, you are in the run for the $10 gift certificate.

Fanmail 8)